How to search in Evernote

You've given so few details it's almost impossible to help you; obviously, search works for almost everyone -- it's a core Evernote feature.  But if I had to guess, and assuming you're using the Windows version, I'd say that in the Search box (the magnifying glass in the upper right) you have a Notebook named (highlighted in pale blue) that ISN'T the notebook that contains the content you're looking for.  Hover over the notebook name and click the "X" to remove it, and/or pull down the menu right beside the magnifying-glass icon (the downward-pointing triangle) and make sure you've selected "Search All Notes" rather than "Search Current Context."

@RobertJSawyer thanks for the reply

i'm using the web version

i've made notes on many different things

i wanted to use evernote be somewhere where i can just dump thoughts and notes that i might want to come back to

what i wanted was to be able to find ALL matches for a specific word, regardless of where that word is mentioned

so, even if it sits on the 100th line of a set of notes... it should be found

or... am i asking for too much?

lol

let me know

thanks

Evernote will find the note containing the text, regardless of where the text occurs (even on the 100th line).  But if you want to see it highlighted, try using the Windows (or Mac) desktop client, which highlights the hits (with a yellow background on Windows).

Hi. I would suggest using one or both of the following options to make your searches easier:

1) Tags are really useful and the below linked pinned thread has many uses case examples from active forum members. It's a long thread, but well worth looking through it. You could also search the Forum using key words & phrases to look for a number of other threads discussing tags, notebooks and organizing Evernote.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/57740-the-benefit-of-using-tags/

2) Other tricks many of us use, include starting each Note Title with a standard dating system, and to also use key words and prefixes in the Note Title. Some examples are:

Dates:

* 07052015 = May 7, 2015

* Or reverse it to be YearMonthDay - 20150507

* Or use backslashes like I do - 07/05/2015

Keywords:

Let's say you found an article about stamp collecting and want to save it to Evernote, your Note Title might look like this:

* 07/05/2015: Stamp Collecting article from Stamps R'Us site

3) Abbreviations can be useful for both Note Titles and Notebooks. Suppose you have several hobbies, of which stamp collecting is just one, and you want each hobby's notes in there own Notebooks. But you want them to show up together when you click on the Notebooks view, so you can quickly scan them and find the one you want so you can open it & then search only only that Notebook. You decide an abbreviation would work to accomplish this, so your hobby Notebooks might look like this:

HB: Orthinology

HB: Sailboating

HB: Stamps

HB: Writing

Or, if you wanted to keep all your hobbies in one Notebook, consider using abbreviations in your Note Titles, i.e.:

* 07/05/2015: HB Stamps - Stamps R'Us Collecting Article

I realize these ideas won't help you until and unless your pull up Evernote, click on All Notes view, then open and edit each to add Tags, or abbreviations and/key words, and Sync UP to the Evernote Servers. (Remember to also make Syncing DOWN from the Servers the very last thing you do before exiting the program on any device, any maybe create some new Notebooks to move the edited Notes into. But it might be worth your time to edit whatever Notes you currently have using any of the above tips, and any combination of them that appeals to you.

Cheers! ☺

@RobertJSawyer thanks for the reply

i'm using the web version

i've made notes on many different things

i wanted to use evernote be somewhere where i can just dump thoughts and notes that i might want to come back to

what i wanted was to be able to find ALL matches for a specific word, regardless of where that word is mentioned

so, even if it sits on the 100th line of a set of notes... it should be found

or... am i asking for too much?

lol

let me know

thanks

• Level 5*

I know I have content.

I search but it doesn't give me any results

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

OM

If you will do a Google search on "evernote search", you will find a number of articles/blogs/examples of how to use Evernote Search.

• Level 5

Evernote search does not find a portion of a word n the middle of a word.

Example:

It will not find the word mark inside Haymarket Square

Evernote search does not find a number in the middle of a number.

Example:

It will not find the number 555 inside 6365553226

Archived