Formatting - Remove Extra Spaces

mike.loney

Idea

As a software developer I use Evernote to keep a record of my software code changes. So I cut and paste code snippets into a categorized note for future reference. But the formatting gets upset (a common complaint I notice). How do I prevent Evernote from inserting extra spaces in front of non alpha numeric characters. e.g. STO:ReferenceNo1 becomes STO :ReferenceNo1 (note space before colon). Removing the Formatting option does not seem to make a difference.

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I suggest that you submit a bug report so Evernote is aware of your issue.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  The translation into HTML and EML (used in note formatting) often causes problems with indents and some punctuation.  Spaces in particular can be lost.

If you need to keep the spaces,  quotes and commas exactly where they are,  you're better off using a text editor and attaching the resulting document file to a note.  You will be able to open and edit the code when you need to,  and the text editor will maintain the correct formatting.

If you need to be able to search on the contents of the file,  copy and paste the content into your note - but don't worry about the layout. This is just for the keywords in the text.  You'll edit or copy the attachment when necessary to add to a completed process.

Very old request that Evernote doen't seem to have as a priority - see https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/29047-copy-and-pasting-from-evernote-to-text-file/?p=271904
  • Level 5*

Actually, HTML can easily handle indents, spaces, special characters, including those that are normally HTML tag delimiters.

There are thousands of web sites that properly show code.

The issue is NOT HTML, but the Evernote programming of it.

• Level 5*

Almost all web sites (including this one) that support the pasting of code into user submitted posts provide for a "code block" tool to ensure the code layout is properly maintained.  This is very old technology -- it has been around for decades.  

It is not clear why Evernote does not make use of this well-known technique.

• Level 5*

I get it that you don't understand, but the technology applies to both web sites and HTML apps like Evernote (they are both software ;) ).

There is no excuse for Evernote.  Other apps handle this properly.

• Level 5*

Gaz:  You're the one who said " I don't know why things work this way"

And actually, each of us decides IF we "play".  Evernote can only hope that we do.

I'm not sure why you are defending either a bug or flawed design.

• Level 5*

Ah.  I see the basis of your misunderstanding.  I was echoing your comment "It is not clear why Evernote does not make use of this well-known technique." in slightly different terms ,  and I should perhaps have added "either" to the end of my sentence. And I'm not defending anything,  just trying to understand why I'm discussing the whichness of why,  instead of getting on with my life.  I am,  again,  out.  

Archived