evernote formats text as pasted

ismoore

HI

I am trying to put together some notes for development

When I paste the following

<script src="<c:url value="/${environmentName}/microloader.js"/> "></script>

evernote tries to be clever and adds spaces around the equals, before forward slash, after greater than sign

As you can see from the text from evernote, it has tried to preserve the colour coding but it has also added spaces everywhere

< script src = "< c:url value = " /${environmentName} /microloader.js/> " ></ script>

(Interestingly the above line has the green, purple and blue colour coding as above but the editor in this post shows it as I type but removes it on preview!)

If I paste as normal text without formatting the additional spaces are not preset

<script src="<c:url value="/${environmentName}/microloader.js" />" ></script>

This is really annoying for code notes as, though I can paste as normal text, the colour coding from the editor (eclipse) is great to have, in particular as I often share these notes as tips for other users and I find myself having to check each time as the additional spaces can lead to errors.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks

• Level 5*

Hi.  No easy workarounds that I'm aware of - Evernote is not great for code samples.  You can attach a file if you save the code in your favourite editor,  and open that file again from the note for further editing,  so suggestion would be:  paste the damaged code just to give you search terms to look for,  but add the editor file so you can keep and edit the correct format when necessary.

• Level 5*

HI

I am trying to put together some notes for development

When I paste the following

evernote tries to be clever and adds spaces around the equals, before forward slash, after greater than sign

As you can see from the text from evernote, it has tried to preserve the colour coding but it has also added spaces everywhere

< script src = "< c:url value = " /${environmentName} /microloader.js/> " ></ script>

The Evernote text editor is definitely in a state of flux, perhaps across all platforms, but particularly for EN Win and EN Mac.

I just read another thread that may be the same issue:

Formatting - Remove Extra Spaces

Sorry I don't have time to test in EN Win, but in EN Mac 6.0.11 a paste of your code (from above) and also of the example in the other thread worked fine.  No spaces were added.

I know Evernote is working on the Editor for both platforms, so you might submit a bug report so they are aware of your specific issue.  Be sure to attach your EN Activity Log and the Eclipse file.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

On the latest version of the Windows client, 3.8.6.7519 Public, pasting of code seems to be mostly fixed.

Pasting your sample with Ctrl-V or <Right-Click><Paste> works just fine, with no spaces added:

Your original:

Pasted in to, then copied back out, of a new Evernote note (interesting, though, that the first 12 characters are in a smaller typeface):

And Ctrl-Shift-V or <Right-Click><Paste as text> likewise inserts the text unaltered (except for the smart quote you used near the beginning, which has become a dumb typewriter-style one) but without highlighting:

<script src="<c:url value="/${environmentName}/microloader.js"/> "></script>

And here's your code snippet after being pasted in with Ctrl-V, then doing <Ctrl-Spacebar> to simplify formatting:

Have you tried the latest version?

Hi there

I have the latest version but it does not work still.

I have posted the following evernote detailing what is happening to give some more detail.

I will also raise a bug request about this.

Thanks for all of your input

Ian

Archived