Just lost a bunch of Stacks and notes from required sync!

Spazite

I dont use EN to sync anything .Ever. But today I was forced to sync and update after being given an error stating my data limit was reached even though I am a premium member.

So I updated to the latest build 5.8.6.7519 (Win 7-64) and still got the error any time I tried to upload a new item. Then I sync'd and now I can upload but lost over 1000 documents!

Why should I have to sync if I'm already a premium member? I just lost over half my work and it's not online in my account.

So now to make matters worse. I tried to back up my data from my last export and all that did was throw all my files in 1 stack...

Please tell me there is a solution to this..

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote normally syncs all your notes to a central server,  from which any other devices attached to your account can then download their updated copies of notes,  and from where you can access your notes from any internet-capable device by logging into EN Web with your account details.  That process also provides a backup for your device - there's a second copy of your notes;  although I'd recommend keeping another copy of the database somewhere local too.

If you have never synced,  then your notes won;t be available in EN Web and won't have been visible on any other device than your current computer,  because that's the only place they've been stored. If you've avoided syncs by using purely Local Notebooks for your notes,  the database should have been stored here - C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases - and provided you're logged into your account with the correct details,  there's no reason why it shouldn't be available to you after an update.  I'd suggest logging out of Evernote completely and logging back in to check that the correct account is in use.

If you have imported notes from an ENEX files they will have added to your database rather than replaced anything,  because such notes do not include notebook or stack information - you will have seen warnings to that effect all through this forum wherever an export is mentioned.  This is actually good,  because it means your original notes may still be recoverable.

If however you worked offline and have kept Evernote from syncing by disabling the internet connection,  your system will have attempted a massive upload when you eventually connected,  and this may have damaged your database.

Syncing is a benefit not a restriction,  as is access to Support;  so in this case I'd suggest that you raise a lost data report by choosing "report a bug..." in the first dropdown after logging in here> https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

Premium / Business users also have access to a Chat option (7am-7pm PST weekdays) - click 'continue' on the support page after logging in.  Support will be able to talk you through checking to find out what happened here and -hopefully- recovering your notes.

Thank you Gazumped for your reply.

The database file has been modified already and is much smaller than my previous enex file, so im assuming that the data has been permanently lost.

Is there a way to at least recoved the notebooks and stacks in any of the files in the database directory?

Looks like i have a lot of work ahead of me...

So here I am once again trying to get my files in order and without even uploading a single new file Im getting the same damn message again:

Seriously??? I cant even move files from one notebook to another without having it sync????

post-256956-0-72259800-1430955507_thumb.

• Level 5*

Not sure if you've reached out to Support,  but we're heading for a weekend when they get time off - you might want to at least start a support request or a chat to see whether they can offer any suggestions here.  If your notes have synced to the server,  you should still have some original information at Evernote.com which may help you with your reconstruction.  You may also have some note history which could be recovered,  if the content of notes has changed.  Sync can be your friend here, rather than an impediment to navigation.

I did reach out to support again, although I have not yet heard back from anyone.

Yesterdays support request was marked as completed with something along the lines of "Unlimited user confirms valid usage."

Anyways I'm about halfway through restructuring everything. Sync is totally out of the question until I get everything back the way it was and backed up.

Thanks again for following up, it's greatly appreciated.

• Level 5*

Anyways I'm about halfway through restructuring everything. Sync is totally out of the question until I get everything back the way it was and backed up.

Seems like the issue might be that, in spite of the new "unlimited" upload allowance, Evernote is unable to handle large uploads per sync.  So, you might consider that it could be better to do multiple small syncs as you go, rather than one large sync at the end.

• Ex Employees

I did reach out to support again, although I have not yet heard back from anyone.

Yesterdays support request was marked as completed with something along the lines of "Unlimited user confirms valid usage."

If you share your ticket # I'd be happy to take a closer look!

• Level 5*
@charboyd:

Can you comment on the actual availability of the "unlimited" uploads?

Are there any real-world limitations currently on a per sync or per day basis?

Thanks.

Hi Charvoyd,

I'm no longer able to add or even move any files within EN without getting the aforementioned error in reply #4.

Seems as if there is still a quota limitation (which I have logged and attached) which is denying me any further actions within the program.

Just to clarify, I have not yet chosen the option so sync in an attempt to clear the limitation from my account. I have not done this as I don't want to risk losing data again (I prefer to keep everything local).

Please check out the attached log. If you can suggest a temp fix, even an registry edit, anything will help just so I can get everything back in place without losing anymore time.

The first (closed) ticket is1054518. I have not received a new ticket for yesterdays request.

New Text Document (2).txt

• Level 5*
@Spazite:

Evernote does NOT support the export or backup of Notebooks or Stacks.

The best you can do is to export the Notes in each NB to a separate ENEX file, and to make screenshots of the Notebooks view which show your expanded Stacks.

One issue with ENEX export/import that everyone should be aware of is that you will lose information in this process:

1. All Note Links to any of the Notes in the ENEX are broken, lost, and will have to be recreated.
  2. The ENEX files do not contain any Notebook data.
  3. When you Import the ENEX file, the Note Created Date is lost, and set to the current date/time.
  4. To preserve Tags in the ENEX files, you must check the checkbox to include Tags during both the export and import process
  5. Tag hierarchy is not preserved.  If you had one, it will need to be recreated after the import process
  6. If the ENEX files came from Sync'd Notebooks,
    1. the Sync'd NB will have to be recreated, and the import of the ENEX Notes moved into the appropriate NB.
    2. Moving these Notes into Sync'd NBs will go against your monthly upload allowance

REF:  How to back up (export) and restore (import) notes and notebooks

• Ex Employees

Hi Charvoyd,

I'm no longer able to add or even move any files within EN without getting the aforementioned error in reply #4.

Seems as if there is still a quota limitation (which I have logged and attached) which is denying me any further actions within the program.

Just to clarify, I have not yet chosen the option so sync in an attempt to clear the limitation from my account. I have not done this as I don't want to risk losing data again (I prefer to keep everything local).

Please check out the attached log. If you can suggest a temp fix, even an registry edit, anything will help just so I can get everything back in place without losing anymore time.

The first (closed) ticket is1054518. I have not received a new ticket for yesterdays request.

This seems to be a bit more than reaching any limits in your account. I've reopened your ticket and adding the info that you shared in the forum. (Hint: Make sure you add all your issues in the support ticket so they know what is going on) You'll be contacted by our TSR team shortly.

Let me know if you run into any further troubles :)

• Ex Employees

@charboyd:

Can you comment on the actual availability of the "unlimited" uploads?
Are there any real-world limitations currently on a per sync or per day basis?

Thanks.

Oh hey JMichael - 

We're aiming to balance our service between offering you unlimited productivity usage, while at the same time making sure your experience stays great! You won't see any limits if you are using Evernote to boost your productivity - taking notes, clipping content from the web, and collaborating with co-workers. 

Everything you store in Evernote is also stored in your Evernote client on your computer and can take up significant hard drive space. Lots of content or large files will affect your search, sync, and general browsing. Adding a few files related to your projects into Evernote should be fine but putting too many large audio or video files in Evernote may have a negative impact on your whole experience. In extreme cases, it can even result in temporary interruption of service. 

To learn more about the many intended uses for Evernote, please read our User Guidelines

Thanks Charboyd,

Can you confirm if this will work to keep my current setup with notes, notebooks and stacks after trying to sync:

1:navigate to the app data folder and copy and backup which files?

2:Sync to internet, cut connection and hope the proper data is submitted to the EN server to resolve my quota limit issue.

3: if syncing results in data loss again, navigate to the app data folder again and restore the files from earlier that I copied?

If this will work , please let me know which files to back up.

I have completed Restructuring my EN.

I have an open ticket which I may cancel if the contents of this post is sufficient. Don't want anyone utilizing anymore time in regards to this matter unless you guys want to.

In summary:

- User does not ever use the Sync Option. Prefers to keep local.

1.Updated to latest build on Tuesday the 5th

2. After update, Was given error (see post #4) after trying to move current files in my EN and also when trying to simply move/copy files within EN.

3.After trying many times ( including reboots and closing program out) could still not upload or copy any data.

4. Initialized Sync in an attempt to have my EN communicate with main EN server in order to release the data quota lock. After a couple seconds the program became unresponsive and I had to eventually kill the program.

5. Termination of the program during the sync cycle caused me to lose 1000 (half of my notes) notes. They were deleted in either the sync process or the crash.

6. I had a backup of the entire account but had to manually restore the notes and also had to recreate many of the Notebooks and Stacks which were deleted.

7. During the restoration process I was once again treated to the error in #4.

8. Today I risked it again in an attempt to release the data limit quota: Sync's EN for about 5 seconds, killed my internet connection. EN did not become unresponsive during the 5 seconds of sync.I closed EN, reconnected to the internet, opened EN again and everything was still in place.

So it seems that EN still does needs permission/authentication in order for premium members to add data in situations where using the program offline for extended periods.

Also, please try to write for a future release something in code that would at least give us the option to keep Notebooks and stacks in tact during an export of "Notebooks".

Thanks to everyone who posted to help try to resolve this. You have all been great and your time and effort is greatly appreciated.

• Level 5*
@Spazite:

I confused.  If you don't ever want to sync, why don't you just put all of your Notes in Local Notebooks?
There is no limit AFAIK.

Then, you don't need to sync.
Even if you do, with ZERO Notes in sync'd notebooks, upload limits would never come into play.

I have an open ticket which I may cancel if the contents of this post is sufficient. Don't want anyone utilizing anymore time in regards to this matter unless you guys want to.

In summary:

@Spazite:

I confused.  If you don't ever want to sync, why don't you just put all of your Notes in Local Notebooks?
There is no limit AFAIK.

Then, you don't need to sync.
Even if you do, with ZERO Notes in sync'd notebooks, upload limits would never come into play.

In summary:

I see no option anywhere to set my notes as "local".

I cant imagine using it this long and not being aware of that...

• Level 5*
@Spazite:

You're probably going to have a lot of questions about Local Notebooks.

May I suggest that you do some Google searches on "evernote local notebooks"

Lot's of good stuff out there.

You can also search in this forum, and in the EN KB (see link below).

@Spazite:

You're probably going to have a lot of questions about Local Notebooks.
May I suggest that you do some Google searches on "evernote local notebooks"
Lot's of good stuff out there.

You can also search in this forum, and in the EN KB (see link below).

Thanks for the suggestion.

Looks like I formed a bad habit from the get-go of right clicking "notebooks" and "create notebook".

This option doesn't give the prompt as mentioned in the knowledge base: "When you create a new notebook, you'll have the option to set the notebook type to local notebook.".

Whereas, File\New Notebook will in fact give the option for local storage.

Cant believe I overlooked that for so long... :unsure:

Archived