Feature Request: Don't begin searching until I tell you to begin searching

I start to enter my search string. Within the first half-dozen characters I type, Evernote for Windows practically grinds to a halt. But I haven't got my entire search string entered, yet.

So, give me the ability to enter my entire search string, then click a "search" button, before Evernote starts searching.

Apologies if this feature request has already been made. It seems pretty unlikely, to me, that this isn't a commonly-experienced little problem.

User EdH has a solution for this, if you're using the Evernote Windows client; it works for me:

After revision 254440 (v4.5.7 beta3 and later) Evernote Windows client loads search-as-you-type delay time from registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Evernote/Evernote/SearchAsYouTypeDelay which by default is set to 50 milliseconds. If you change this value to 0, search-as-you-type feature will be completely disabled, so you'll have to press Enter or click the Search button at the right of the search entry field to start search.

I changed it to 1250 Decimal so I have just over a second before it starts hassling me.

Please make sure you shut down Evernote with File/Exit before changing the application registry.
  • Level 5*

Hi. It has been a problem for many years now, and it is something many of us have requested as well. There used to be a change you could make in the registry on Windows that would shut it off. Mac users are stuck with it. You may want to contact support, as it seems that Windows is a lot snappier these days, and there may be a problem unique to your situationthat they can help solve.

EDIT: It looks like Robert beat me to it, and with a detailed solution.

• Level 5*

I'd like to echo GM with respect to EN Mac.

This incremental search feature does nothing but get in the way, and delay getting my results.

ATTN:  Evernote Team:  Please turn off, or provide option to turn off, the incremental search feature in EN Mac.

• Level 5*

If you can't turn off the search as you type option,  you can create your search in a note,  then copy and paste the whole word or phrase into your search box...

If you can't turn off the search as you type option,  you can create your search in a note,  then copy and paste the whole word or phrase into your search box...

... and perhaps save that search for the next time if it's a repetitive one.

User EdH has a solution for this, if you're using the Evernote Windows client; it works for me:

After revision 254440 (v4.5.7 beta3 and later) Evernote Windows client loads search-as-you-type delay time from registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Evernote/Evernote/SearchAsYouTypeDelay which by default is set to 50 milliseconds. If you change this value to 0, search-as-you-type feature will be completely disabled, so you'll have to press Enter or click the Search button at the right of the search entry field to start search.

I changed it to 1250 Decimal so I have just over a second before it starts hassling me.

Please make sure you shut down Evernote with File/Exit before changing the application registry.

Brilliant... thanks for sharing @Robert. I'm giving it a shot with 750 Decimal. It feels right. I might tweak it later... but either way, the delay is working like magic. Since I have over 30,000+ notes and growing, my desktop client was previously (until a few minutes ago) freezing up for up to 10 seconds every time I typed the first half of the first word of my search. This is huge! 

• Level 5*

Brilliant... thanks for sharing @Robert. I'm giving it a shot with 750 Decimal. It feels right. I might tweak it later... but either way, the delay is working like magic. Since I have over 30,000+ notes and growing, my desktop client was previously (until a few minutes ago) freezing up for up to 10 seconds every time I typed the first half of the first word of my search. This is huge! 

We desperately need the ability to disable incremental search in EN Mac.

In the words of the great Frank:  "This is huge!"

• Level 5*

This thread gave me the idea of creating a Keyboard Maestro macro to avoid this issue.

See Keyboard Maestro (KM) Macro for EN Mac Global Search

If you have any comments/questions, please post in the above thread.

I hope all of you Mac users will find this useful.

GrumpyMonkey, I think you especially might like this macro, since it defaults to a "intitle:" search.

I know you mostly rely on keywords in the Note Title for your searching.

Enjoy.

That's an unnecessary workaround. You can save a search (Saved Searches) & you can even add a frequently used search to the shortcuts panel.

That's an unnecessary workaround. You can save a search (Saved Searches) & you can even add a frequently used search to the shortcuts panel.

Ummm...

Yep, quite right - one can also add a saved search to the shortcuts list as you suggested - but that may be an unnecessary workaround for our workaround, because a saved search is just as intentional as dragging to the shortcut list (we usually save searches for frequently used searches)... plus the saved search is more easily accessible from the search bar, since that is where we usually default to when searching, by force of habit. Especially if one has a number of saved searches. BTW, we also have a "Recent Searches" section"... so I think one may be covered directly within the search bar. 

I beg to differ. I do not see that any search is easier than the shortcut panel. And any sensible person puts only the most frequently used or most easily accessed searches in the shortcut panel. Putting something in a shortcut list is by definition NOT a workaround. Sorry pal.

Ummm...

Yep, quite right - one can also add a saved search to the shortcuts list as you suggested - but that may be an unnecessary workaround for our workaround, because a saved search is just as intentional as dragging to the shortcut list (we usually save searches for frequently used searches)... plus the saved search is more easily accessible from the search bar, since that is where we usually default to when searching, by force of habit. Especially if one has a number of saved searches. BTW, we also have a "Recent Searches" section"... so I think one may be covered directly within the search bar. 

• Level 5*

Just for information,  ENRegEd  is a Windows application developed by experienced Evernote user @spg SCOTT to change some options that don't (yet) have a menu tickbox.  It hasn't been updated in a year,  where Evernote has (a lot) so some of these settings may no longer work - use with caution...

Download the latest version (August 2014) here - 

It includes the search delay key.

Just for information,  ENRegEd  is a Windows application developed by experienced Evernote user @spg SCOTT to change some options that don't (yet) have a menu tickbox.  It hasn't been updated in a year,  where Evernote has (a lot) so some of these settings may no longer work - use with caution...

Download the latest version (August 2014) here - 

It includes the search delay key.

Thanks @Gazumped! I had a later version installed. This one now makes it way easier to tinker with different intervals without having to track it down in the registry each time. 

Archived