Bootstapper error installing 5.8.6.7519 in Win 8.1

O'Robhartach

Thank you, Gazumped.  Your link fixed ONE of my computers.  The other one ... no fix.  That problem is the one in your link referring to

Evernote has already been installed by another user.

Basically says to run evernote.msi from the temp folder ... but I don't have such a file, .. but thanks again, it DID fix one of the two problems.

• Level 5*

Oh well,  half a fix is better than none...  you probably have some leftover files on your system from the old installation (or recent attempts to update/ install).

Download REVO uninstaller (free version is fine) and do a clean Evernote uninstall.

Make sure you copy C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases to Databases.old before you attempt removal.

Then install Evernote again and you should be fine.

Oh well,  half a fix is better than none...  you probably have some leftover files on your system from the old installation (or recent attempts to update/ install).

Download REVO uninstaller (free version is fine) and do a clean Evernote uninstall.

Make sure you copy C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases to Databases.old before you attempt removal.

Then install Evernote again and you should be fine.

THANK YOU immensely for your attention.

Yep, .. this glass is 1/2 full.  One W8.1-64 machine .. now OK (thanks to DISM).  Other one, Toshiba Laptop W7-64, .. dealing with the 'another user' bug when trying to install Evernote_5.8.6.7519.exe. 

Last run of sfc /scannow (after much work) now returns NO errors.

Revo does not list Evernote as installed. Neither does IOBIT UNINSTALLER.  Evernote does not show being installed in ALL PROGRAMS.  Does not show in ADD/REMOVE programs.  Still get the error on install attempt.

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Evernote ... DOES show remnants.  EVERNOTE folder is essentially empty .. some child folders, but all empty.  There is a C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\EvernoteNW folder also, and it IS populated with child folders and files.  Maybe I need to delete it(?)

Maybe I need to start another thread since this departs from the intent of THIS thread(?) ... I am, for the moment, out of ideas.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.

I'd suggest you keep the history of this issue together - if you raise another thread it splits the narrative.

Check this folder for an Evernote installation EXE file and run it if you find one - C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate - that may repair the installation sufficiently to allow you to remove it.

If you don't see that,  there's an additional utility I've used,  which isn't exactly Evernote-approved,  but they haven't warned anyone off using it - Glary Utilities will run a 'one click' check of your system and find orphaned registry entries.  If you feel keen enough to use it,  there's a free download here - http://www.glarysoft.com/glary-utilities/

Here's some more background to the 'another user' issue - it's been an occasional problem for some time now...

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22282-%E2%9C%94-latest-evernote-cant-be-installed-after-old-version-not-uninstalled-properly/page-14

I hope some of that helps...

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Evernote ... tree is nothing but empty folders.

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\EvernoteNW .. tree has folders/files, but none are evernote.exe.

I have Glary utlities.  His one-click feature is something I hesitate to use.  Not sure what all it does .. but will keep it in mind.

Heading over to your discussion link .... and thank you again for all your help.

• Level 5*

If you run the One Click process you'll get to a screen listing how many errors have been found under each heading.  You can inspect all the errors to make sure you agree that they are correct and safe,  and untick any fixes you;re not sure of.  At the end of the process you can quit without fixing if you're still unhappy - here's one I just ran.

(Do untick Disk Repair and Tracks Eraser before you start here...)

post-63053-0-48561200-1431210056_thumb.j

I fixed all errors,  but if you don't like the look of the results,  just quit.

Good luck..

That is encouraging .... I will give it a try.  Meanwhile,, .. no progress otherwise except there is a MATS folder on the problem machine.  MATS folders hold BACKUPS of apps which a MS Fixit fixes.  It contains a working copy of Evernote.  Click on evernote.exe and it actually runs even though there is no evidence it is installed.  Unforrtunately, no evernote.msi there ... or log or anything else that I think is useful.  Just thought I would mention it.  Thank you again.  Quite the gentleman.

Archived