How do I know when uploading / synching of my content is complete?

Hi, I'm pretty new to Evernote but realise it's everything I ever wanted and am kicking myself for not trying it sooner.

I've always hated the typical "file structure" and struggle with keeping it organised, especially with all the university stuff I have to download. I use the web clipper but sometimes need to create notes from files (often very large) that are already on my hard drive.

Ideally, after note creation, I'd like to be able to then delete these things from my hard drive ASAP; partially just to keep track of what I've already done and what I haven't, and also to reduce the number of files I have to wade through.

But how do I know when it's safe to delete it? If my ADSL takes 3 minutes to download a large file, surely it will take longer to get it "on the cloud"? But there is no status bar that I can find or any indication at all that uploading/synching is occurring, so I have no idea when it's safe to delete the file, or even to close Evernote or shut down my Macbook.

Or am I thinking about this all wrong and uploading to the cloud is so instantaneous that a status bar isn't necessary?  :P

Thanks!

Julie

Hi Jules,

Welcome to the Forum!

The first thing you should be aware of if you're uploading big files, is the upload limits for the type of account you have. As of earlier this week, Evernote has three tiers, Basic (free), Plus and Premium. Each has different upload limits as per the below article from the Evernote Knowledge Base:

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23258452/

As for checking the status of each Sync as it's ocurring, I honestly can't recall...brain blank moment...

• Level 5*

On the desktop if the sync icon is spinning (the two semi circles with arrows on one end) a sync is in process, otherwise not.  To be sure things have synced before you delete anything, just click on that icon to force a sync and when it stops spinning everything has been synced (as long as the icon doesn't have a red ! in the middle which would indicate a sync failure).

Belts and suspenders you can go to the web version and see if all your notes are now there.  May not really be necessary, but if you are nervous.....

One way to follow sync progress is to go into list view and you'll see which files still need to be uploaded under the Sync column. If not uploaded yet, there'll be bullet points next to each note. This is for Windows. I know you have a Macbook. There may be something similar.

Thank you all!  It seems using list view and enabling the 'sync' column is the easiest approach to see specifically what's done and what isn't, and I hadn't noticed before that the sync arrows will spin while it's uploading, so that's a good clue too.

Much obliged!

Julie

• Level 5*

For completeness...  

All the account types except Premium have a monthly 'upload limit' - an amount past which you can't upload until the month resets.  If you really are uploading lots of big files,  you need to be on premium at least until you've finished the job and have your files safely stored away.  Or you need to schedule your uploads so you don't step over the limit.

And when you've got your files in the cloud,  I'd really strongly recommend that you keep a backup of your files locally.  There's already a copy on your desktop hard drive if you're using the installed version,  and Evernote have a copy on their server. But hard drives can crash,  and re-downloading your database from the server in one hit can take a l-o-n-g time,  depending on your internet connection speed and the time of day.  A local backup means you can recreate your database by restoring the file(s) and with Time Machine -if you use it- I believe you can restore individual notes if you delete something and can't recover it any other way.

Since copies of your files are stored as part of your database by the way,  attaching a large file means you're using twice the disk space - once for the original and once in Evernote - so it's a good idea to get rid of the duplicate(s) as soon as you can to save space!

• Level 5*
@Mlle Jules:

I think @csihilling has nailed it.

The only think I'd like to add is that BEFORE you delete the source files/documents you put into Evernote, verify that they are all correctly in the Evernote Cloud using the EN Web client at Evernote.com.  If these are very important/irreplaceable files, you might also want to copy to an external drive, like a USB flash drive.

On the desktop if the sync icon is spinning (the two semi circles with arrows on one end) a sync is in process, otherwise not.  To be sure things have synced before you delete anything, just click on that icon to force a sync and when it stops spinning everything has been synced (as long as the icon doesn't have a red ! in the middle which would indicate a sync failure).

Belts and suspenders you can go to the web version and see if all your notes are now there.  May not really be necessary, but if you are nervous.....

There's already a copy on your desktop hard drive if you're using the installed version

Oh. I didn't realise it worked that way. I'm concerned by that as I only have a 16gb iPad and it's nearing full. I have the Evernote app installed there (as well as on laptop and desktop). Are all of my files being copied there too? I hope not, because if so I'll have to get rid of the app from my iPad which will probably dissuade me from using Evernote altogether!

(According to usage the app doesn't seem very large; 115 MB. But that doesn't mean the files aren't 'hiding' somewhere else?)

• Level 5*

There's already a copy on your desktop hard drive if you're using the installed version

Oh. I didn't realise it worked that way. I'm concerned by that as I only have a 16gb iPad and it's nearing full. I have the Evernote app installed there (as well as on laptop and desktop). Are all of my files being copied there too? I hope not, because if so I'll have to get rid of the app from my iPad which will probably dissuade me from using Evernote altogether!

(According to usage the app doesn't seem very large; 115 MB. But that doesn't mean the files aren't 'hiding' somewhere else?)

The only way your full note content is stored on the iPad is if you have a notebook set for offline storage, done in settings.  Otherwise, only note titles and the note content for recently accessed notes are stored on the iPad. 

Archived