(Archived) Kowabunga! Geographical Search in EN 3.0

I just found this juicy tidbit in the EverNote 3.0 on-line help under the new search syntax:

Find image notes from the Sunnyvale region"

resource:image/* latitude:37 -latitude:38 longitude:-122.5 -longitude:-122

:shock:

KOWABUNGA!!! :)

Now I have to figure out how to force geo-tags into my images manually, as neither my cell phone nor my pocket digital camera have GPS ( :( )

I just found this juicy tidbit in the EverNote 3.0 on-line help under the new search syntax

Marc, where is the online help for EN 3.0? Can you provide a URL?

And when you installed the beta, did you have to uninstall (or write over) your current version of EN -- or were you able to install it in a different directory?

Incidentally, thanks for your early reports on the beta.

I just found this juicy tidbit in the EverNote 3.0 on-line help under the new search syntax

Marc, where is the online help for EN 3.0? Can you provide a URL?

The on-line help comes in as part of the EN 3.0 Beta installation. There does not appear to be a separate User Manual yet. I do know that in the past the EN Documentation team has used MS Word and a tool that takes the MS Word source into both the on-line help files (bundled with the program) and into the stand-alone PDF User Manual. The on-line help and the User Manual were generated from the same master source and had the exact same contents.

And when you installed the beta, did you have to uninstall (or write over) your current version of EN -- or were you able to install it in a different directory?

No uninstallation of EN 2.2 required. The EN 3.0 Beta code installs into its own directory (evernote3) by default (though I did check carefully and I used the custom installation path rather than the default installation path). I am running the old EN 2.2 code and the new EN 3.0 Beta code side-by-side on my screen as I type this.

EN 3 seamlessly imports from EN 2.2 databases, and leaves the EN 2.2 database intact and usable by EN 2.2. :(

Incidentally, thanks for your early reports on the beta.

Most welcome. As usual I am hammering away, finding some ways to abort the code, reporting what I find, looking for workarounds, chatting via e-mail with the other beta testers, and just plain having a jolly time. :) I encourage everyone to chime in.

The code is very young, I would call it late Alpha rather than Beta. So I am not trusting anything mission-critical to it (of course).

The really good news is that there is enough functionality present so we can start to get a "proof of concept" and start thinking about the new conceptual model for using EverNote.

The gloriously cool part of EN 3 is that I am going to be put out of the business of managing synchronization. This beyond wonderful, IMHO. I expect computers to take care of posting updates to my remotely accessed databases, not me. With EN 3, once we get it all working, I will be able to have as many different client devices (in my case, desktop PC, laptop PC, and Windows Mobile Smart-phone) as I want, and I can happily create and edit notes on all of them. They all magically cross-synchronize via "the cloud" (OK, the EverNote web service). I don't have to keep track of a USB stick or which computer has the master copy of my database. I don't want that synchronization management administration job. I just want to use EverNote.

This early in EN 3 Beta cycle we have given up a lot of category capabilities to get to the new "star" model synchronization model of New EverNote (versus EverNote Classic). For example, we have lost my beloved category intersection panel entirely (at least for now). I think that most EN users never open the category intersection panel, despite my enthusiastic proselytizing. I suspect that the majority of EN users would happily give up the Category Intersection Panel for the ability to never worry about synchronization (other than to get it turned on once at the beginning).

Back to my exploration...

we have lost my beloved category intersection panel entirely (at least for now).

Yes, there will be no separate category intersection panel in EN3. Rather, you will be surprised to find out that the main tree of tags works now in intersection mode. So if you select tags 'foo' and 'bar', you will get notes tagged with both tags. And the visual appearance and counters on tags help visualize this intersection. So, finding notes by intersecting tags is even easier than it was with separate category intersection panel UI in EN2.

we have lost my beloved category intersection panel entirely (at least for now).

Yes, there will be no separate category intersection panel in EN3. Rather, you will be surprised to find out that the main tree of tags works now in intersection mode. So if you select tags 'foo' and 'bar', you will get notes tagged with both tags. And the visual appearance and counters on tags help visualize this intersection. So, finding notes by intersecting tags is even easier than it was with separate category intersection panel UI in EN2.

Understood. Thank you.

In EN 2.2 I could get the Union of a set of categories by Ctrl+clicking on more than one category in the Category Panel, and I could get the Intersection of a set of categories in the Category Intersection Panel.

I have need of both the Union and the Intersection, please.

Now, I understand that in EN 3.0 Beta I get the Intersection by clicking on more than one tag (or search folder). In EN 3.0 Beta, how do I get the Union (the set of all notes that have either tag A or tag B or have both tags A & B, but not necessarily both tags A & :), please? :?:

Confusion: I read the on-line Help file as telling me that clicking on more than one tag gets me the Union, not the intersection.

post-1824-131906061586_thumb.png

As I read the Help file, I don't see a way to get the Union (what the old Category Intersection Panel in EN 2.2 used to give me).

Help???

Now, I understand that in EN 3.0 Beta I get the Intersection by clicking on more than one tag (or search folder). In EN 3.0 Beta, how do I get the Union

There will be a global "All / Any" toggle to switch between intersection and union modes (later). You will not be able to mix these two, however (so you either intersect everything or unite everything, but not both at the same time).

Yeah, I just discovered the new way of category intersection by accident. See image:

post-1775-131906061585_thumb.png

so, in this case, I have 112 notes in pleasure reading. 12 of them are in @interlibrary loan, out of a total of 26 notes in that particular category.

I've also discovered that you can use Ctrl+Click to select the intersection of 2 categories, e.g., click on pleasure reading and then control click on @interlibrary load will give me those 12 notes.

Unfortunately, that means that ctrl+click no longer lets of subtract a category from an intersection :)

Also, I liked having a separate category intersection panel. I tend to leave my hierarchy in a particular open/closed state, depending on what work I'm doing. Having to mess around with it now just to do category intersections will be annoying, to say the least. :(

Now, I understand that in EN 3.0 Beta I get the Intersection by clicking on more than one tag (or search folder). In EN 3.0 Beta, how do I get the Union

There will be a global "All / Any" toggle to switch between intersection and union modes (later). You will not be able to mix these two, however (so you either intersect everything or unite everything, but not both at the same time).

Wonderful! That will work for me (later). Thank you again.

Back to my experimenting...

ctrl+click no longer lets of subtract a category from an intersection

We will add the support for category subtracion later. Alternatively, you can do this right now using extended query syntax (and optionally, saving these queries as saved searches), something like: "tag:evernote tag:faq -tag:web -tag:mac" (this is "-" that negates the tag, i.e. subtracts it from the intersection)

Archived