Emoji support on Desktop

dalelane

Idea

If I use emoji in notes entered on Android or iOS, they show up fine. 

But when synced to Windows, they show up as a unicode code instead like &128197;

It'd great if this would be supported on Windows... either by providing instructions on what I'd need to do to enable native Windows support for it (I'm on Windows 7) or by bundling/including your own emoji font in the client. 

• Like 3

19 replies to this idea

When I paste an emoji from Windows emoji keyboard [Windows+pediod(.)] they are rendered black-and-white as opposed to native "autocomplete" emojis, e.g. after typing ":-)". Would it be possible to fix that? image.png.97202f23b1bbf1a347e0c6f9509e6fc1.png

Well, its 2017 and this problem isnt still solved as i see, or i´m wrong?

It´s nice to hear in workshop about emoji & evernote, but when you start to use them as tool for notes as i prefer to do for better workflow... well, at least its useless because it doesnt work on windows.

Hello, 

I am a premium user and I know that this functionality doesn't seams to be so important since we are in 2017 and still missing, but for this kind of "details" I will take into consideration to change my note app. 

For me it seams that every big company is concentrating on major functionalities and forget those small details that make us happy.

Thank you.

• Ex Employees

Update: color emoji support within the note body is scheduled to be included in Evernote for Windows Desktop  version 6.8. The rendering of these emojis may still be black and white, or boxes in the note title or left panel. I'll update here again once it's fully implemented. 

55 minutes ago, lisec said:

@Austin G, any update? Seems to me this hasn't changed yet - still just black and white (or just boxes) in titles and lists.

They are in color in Win10 already, but not in Win7, I suspect this is not likely to change now that Microsoft is dropping Win7 support soon.

They aren't in color on my updated Windows 10. Some were with my previous version of Evernote (beta 2 I think?) but I just got the latest (downgraded) beta, and there is no colour to be had in Windows. In fact, some (like ) aren't rendering at all (display a small narrow box). Here is the green checkmark:  ✔ (seems it's not green here either! supposed to be:  image.png.fae25710a3323fd28a87a01033cb3724.png 

image.png.ff4748d9a96b8c4b281446698ec99779.png

• Level 5*

3 hours ago, lisec said:

They aren't in color on my updated Windows 10. Some were with my previous version of Evernote (beta 2 I think?) but I just got the latest (downgraded) beta, and there is no colour to be had in Windows. In fact, some (like ) aren't rendering at all (display a small narrow box). Here is the green checkmark:  ✔ (seems it's not green here either! supposed to be:  image.png.fae25710a3323fd28a87a01033cb3724.png 

Ditto, no color in note title or note list.  If you use Segoe UI Symbol you can get the plus sign to kind of appear in the note title.  Also an example of the colors etal for the one emoji I use in a phone call template note.  Color is fine when the note link is used in another note, no where else.

ScreenClip.png.cab5e5ed8fdfa8fe3850e40d10458d47.png

ScreenClip.png.43eff59f707fc9bcff9c875096de4aea.png

4 hours ago, lisec said:

Oops, sorry, you are correct about no color in titles and lists.  However, your example appears to show no color in the note body for the green check mark (:heavy_check_mark:), that I do see in color.  Also, I got it to display in title by itself (in blue, system maybe?), but as soon as I added something else, it became a box.  Rather than not implemented, it seems buggy.

Asd.png.bd9a43792ca8d2d3f9349e7273857729.png  

image.png.265639355c43baeec82111003a18aa1f.png

12 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Rather than not implemented, it seems buggy.

How an emoji renders is dependent on the font used. Not all fonts can display all characters. Different fonts may be used in different areas of the program - we do support user specified fonts for the caption (this is a per-client setting - not a syncd property).

3 hours ago, dconnet said:

How an emoji renders is dependent on the font used. Not all fonts can display all characters. Different fonts may be used in different areas of the program - we do support user specified fonts for the caption (this is a per-client setting - not a syncd property).

I understand.  I said it seems buggy because I used the same Tahoma font in the Windows client when I got different results for the very same emoji. 

Tahoma was the previous default so I got used to it, I don't know if the current default is considered more stable.