return key causes page to scroll down

Crayons

Idea

OS X 10.7.5 Lion

It seems since installation of EN 6.0.10 

When I hit the return key the page scrolls down

Workaround: move problematic text to a new page, work on it there.  I doesn't exhibit the problem.

Perhaps it's associated with the length of document, IDK.

Thanks,

Craig

49 replies to this idea

Just to add in that I'm having the same issue, though the workaround doesn't seem to work for me - unless I misunderstood it.

MBP, Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013

10.9.5 (13F1077)

Does this occur on all notes or can you just hold the return key on a new note to reproduce?

Happens across all notes, new and old, as well as on opening a new note and holding the return key down. 

Thanks to everyone for your reports and updates.  This is the number one issue the team is looking at.  Unfortunately, we are having a really hard time reproducing the issue here on our developer and test Maverick machines so I don't think this is happening to everyone that is using Mavericks.  We just need to figure out what is common with everyone in this thread.  Is this happening on App Store or Direct Download?  It shouldn't matter but we've seen stranger things.  Is anyone using a third party utility that interacts with browsers or test editors?  Have you tried to reboot you system and does that change anything?  JMIchael it sounds like it wasn't happening for you initially but then after some time it started happening.  Can you remember what you were doing just before it started to happen?   

I have direct downloaded version, and don't have anything that could interfere with the text, as far as I know... 

I can give you more information if you want and you tell me how to get it. i.e. form console or something similar. 

Of course just after I write the above note about how we couldn't reproduce the issue I'm able to reproduce it.  It appears to be related to resizing the window.  I'll provide more updates as we learn more.

Thanks for the updates on this.  In case it matters:

• I've experienced the bug with both app store and direct download versions.
  • I'm using a 13" Macbook Pro but regularly switch between the laptop screen, a separate screen at my desk and various projectors around the office so I change the window size and underlying screen resolution fairly often.
  • I rarely use Evernote full screen, normally it's in a window somewhere on my desktop.
  • Level 5*

JMIchael it sounds like it wasn't happening for you initially but then after some time it started happening.  Can you remember what you were doing just before it started to happen?   

Marcus, I think my initial report was when I was using Yosemite.

I have two Macs running Mavericks (10.9.5) that have both common and unique applications/services installed.

Both of them have the scrolling problem, only in EN Mac.

I am not observing this scrolling problem on any other apps I have installed, including these:

• MS Word 2011
  • MS Outlook 2011 (email, contacts, calendar)
  • TextEdit
  • TextWrangler
  • AppleScript Editor

We figured out the issue and will be preparing a beta for people to try.  I should also add that you can get out of this issue if you delete your preferences by going to Terminal and typing defaults delete com.evernote.Evernote. WARNING: This will reset your Evernote preferences. This doesn't work 100% but it works a lot of the times. However, if you resize the window again it will get back into this state.  You can also upgrade to Yosemite :-).  I'll let you know when we have a beta for people to try.

• Level 5

This means we should have a fix out in our next shipped version. Don't ask when :) The answer is, as always, as soon as possible.

Thank you all so much for reporting the issue. We look forward to delivering the fix.

• Level 5*
@Jackolicious:

Thanks.  I'd much rather you take the necessary time to properly design, test, and debug before making a release.

And, of course, make sure that you don't introduce any new unintended consequences (aka bugs  ;) )

While I look forward to the fix ASAP (within my qualifications above), I can live with the work-around posted above by @lpuerto until the fix is released.

We have a 6.0.12 Beta 1 with a fix for this scrolling issue.  If you'd like to give it a try you can download it here: http://bit.ly/1zGv5O9.  We've been using it a for a full day now and completed our standard manual tests.  We're still running our automated tests.  Once everything is finished we'll update people via the beta mechanism.  If you decide to download it early please let us know if 1) It fixed the issue and 2) If you see any other issues.  Thanks again.

NOTE: We have found an issue.  Don't download the beta if you are using Lion.   It seems fine for all other OSs.

Are you going to test it also in Yosemite machines?

Yes, we primarily test on Yosemite. The vast majority of Evernote Mac users are using Yosemite. There are still a large group of Mavericks users but very few Lion and Mountain Lion users. In fact we are considering dropping Lion and Mountain Lion support because it's very difficult to continue to keep the product running 100% on 4 different operating systems and to keep up the pace of updates. For example we've held up the beta release that includes this fix because of a bug on Lion that only a really really small percentage of customers continue to use.

We have a new beta build to try.  We discovered a few bugs in the previous beta.

1) The formatting toolbar didn't appear on Lion when clicked on a blank line.

2) Batch editing of tags in multiple notes broke.

3) Work chat had selection issues after sending a message.

We're still running through our automation tests but here's an updated beta build.  http://bit.ly/1Rm30BA.

Let me know if you see any issues.

P.S. You should be able to hide the Upgrade Your Team button but let me know if you can't.

I USED TO EXPERIENCE THE RETURN AND SCROLL ISSUE AND JUST SOLVED IT BY GOING  TO THE APPLE STORE AND DOWNLOADING THE VERSION THERE EVERNOTE 6.0.13 WORKS PERFECT, I THINK THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE VERSION YOU DOWNLOAD FROM THE EVERNOTE.COM SITE, THANKS TO ALL

Hey JMuchael ( No relation to Jessey Michael of a rather famous Bay Area punk band?

At any rate, I do fully agree with your post. I was unaware and going on I go I have read on blogs and in YouTube bedridden where they talk about EN support and done go as far as buying a month on EN Premium to get better/any support.

If you are saying that secs hang out in certain threads, reply to non paying customers, then things are pretty par for the course in EN land.

I still stand by and hope for something like a full version update, paid or not, that works on bug fixes and application parity.

Next I would live to see end to end encryption, so we need not bother with minimally encrypting a small chunk of text. A EN rep I believe, though it could have been and end user, I forget and am not 109% sure it was EN staff.

I brought up encryption and mentioned 1Password. The response was that they didn't trust 1Password encryption and felt users are essentially waiting on a zero day decryption exploit for 1Password. Assuming it's not already in the wild.

From what I understand about 1Password is that they did not roll their own encryption, they have updated encryption methods multiple times to deal with bugs in the encryption library, and are currently up to date and there are no known exploits. The encryption they use is industry standard and not broken in any other implementations that I am aware of. I feel retry safe with 1Passwords encryption. Certainly more safe than putting my bank statements I to EN in an online notebook. What good is the statement if I can't get to it from every device I have EN installed on?

Thanks for the updated info on EN support and how they do in fact hang out on the forums and interact with users.

Is anyone else noticing the sox doubling of launch time to get EN in a ready state in which you can edit and otherwise start using the app?

Slowness to launch stopped me even looking at OneNote beyond that first launch and a second test to make sure it was not a one off issue.

The latest EN release put out on 05/03/2015 certainly launched slower than previous versions, at least in regards to application launch times.

I'm having the same issue in OS X 10.8.5

Issue occurs in both old notes and new notes for me - size of note doesn't seem to be a factor. If the note is long enough to scroll, hitting the return key will cause it to scroll down.

OS X 10.9.5 also having the same problem.  I updated to Evernote 6.0.9 and it started happening.  Tried updating to 6.0.11 and issue is still here.  Very frustrating since I subscribed to Premium less than a month ago and this makes any notes longer than one screen almost un-usable.

I agree with the previous posters.  

The problem persists in Version 6.0.11.

FWIW the issue is not consistent, occasionally it does not occur.  I don't know why.

This is a great bug report thread. I fear from past experience that posting bugs in the forums is about as good as posting to a community and looking for assistance. Thsts about as far as you are going to get unless the thread blows up maybe a tech will.pop I'm and say something. But we don't know if they are internally tracking the bug, already aware, working on it, rejected it, etc. If and users are to help, they need to be kept informed as easily as possible. They are doing this for free because they love your product. But people are fickle and will bail for any number of reasons.

If you believe you have a real big, I would approach it as follows, unfortunately:

1) Post to forums a detailed report

2) re-type your bug report and send to EN through the normal support channels.

3) Encourage other users on the same thread to also report the bug. Not a copy and paste even if they are identical bugs. Offer up something unique if possible. Try to narrow it down as much as possible. Is it Mac only, PC only, iOS only, Android only, or some combination thereof but you lack all the platforms to test.

4) make sure you report current dates and versions. Stating you are using "current OS" and "current EN" is not that helpful. ( I'm guilty of this myself) A EN version number, previous version number prior to updating, OS version, etc. as the thread gets older, it becomes less valuable when it says I found this "bug in the current version of EN, what do I do? Plus, if you find a solution, it may not apply to Mac or Windows and only mobile, so putting versions, dates, prior versions, all as starting data, will only help EN, the users, everyone. Ideally a public bug reporter do we can search the bugs and join in on the ones we feel are important.

Honestly, EN support should jump in and push you to the proper reporting channels. Ideally, though only a few companies have ever done this, Zapier is on of them… EN staff should be the ones copying and setting up the bugs in their bug reporting system. Unless that bug system is public, which I don't believe it is. Regardless, there is a user that has pinned down a bug. Making them create a bug report seems strange to me unless they are a dedicated beta tester and get perhaps a free copy and a free lifetime sub. Otherwise, end users don't have the time, inclination, not should they be expended to post a bug report after it's been posted to the forums. How EN or any company can see a screencast of a clear bug, then leave it be and expect a procedure to be followed before the bug will even be looked at. That seems awful to me. Your user already did enough, As a crappy developer myself, how do you sleep :) knowing there's known bugs and the only wall between getting it debugged and fixed is the forum and bug reporting system. Did everything the EN CEO said mean nothing, it's been months and I'm not seeing the changes he said were going to be addressed as EN's most important things moving forward.

5) if none of this works, and this really sucks, pony up and pay for a month of EN. Your support will improve and you will get email replies.

Though a bug tracking system still eludes me and the site is confusing with all the products now up, from EN to Skitch to the store that is trying to turn EN into a fashion brand. Ugh. :)

I'm.trying so hard to live EN. If I had my way, drop windows Dec, spend a version on Mac getying it patched up. No new features. Same for ios. Start a Windows ream to do the same with both apps looking Bd acting the same. Once parity is reached, get the mobile apps ream to accomplish the same. Get a bug tracker up. Ask the community for help if you need it. Truly ask the community what they think of your pricing model and bandwidth rates.

This is all reported under Ticket# 1047087 in their system.  I've spoken to support twice about it, recorded that screencast and sent over my Activity Log.  Waiting for an answer now.

I used Evernote free for a long time but decided to upgrade to Premium last month (mainly for the Presentation mode).  I have caused several people on my team to start using Evernote since I am such a fan of it and they see me using it in meetings.  There is an opportunity here for a great customer support experience that will lock me in as a long time paid user and spread some great word of mouth to my friends and colleagues.

• Level 5*

This is a great bug report thread. I fear from past experience that posting bugs in the forums is about as good as posting to a community and looking for assistance. 

. . .

If you believe you have a real big [bug], I would approach it as follows, unfortunately:

. . .

@GreyGray:

I agree this is a great thread that highlights the bug, but I disagree about the value of posting in these forums.  I think it is very valuable.
I have seen a number of bugs posted here that have been accepted/recognized by Evernote employees here, and then fixed.
In particular, bugs posted in the main release thread seem to get a lot of attention by Evernote.

You make some good suggestions for bug reporting, but I would not want to make it seems so onerous that some people might not make a bug report.  The important thing is to get as many people as possible reporting each bug.  Having said that, the more detailed the report the more likely it can be understand and reproduced by Evernote, and therefore get a fix quicker.

Two things to make it quicker/easier:
  1. Post the bug report in these forums first, and then just copy/paste into the formal bug report at Evernote.com.
  2. Include a link to the thread where you posted in the formal bug report.  This will make it easy for Evernote to see other reports and get the big picture.

I have a workaround to the problem. If you put some character after the return, the page scrolls properly.

Let's say like an space or another character, or even a word, and then you hit the return just before it... the page scrolls properly and then you don't go nuts while writing. 

The characters should be in the same line as the cursor when you hit the return, otherwise it doesn't work. 

Thanks, this works. I've still go to say though, that It's still pathetic that we need to resort to workarounds like this to allow us to use a product that we pay good money for.

It looks like everyone that is seeing this is on Mavericks or an earlier version of the OS.  Is that true?  Anyone using Yosemite?   I'll keep everyone posted as we continue to investigate the issue.  Thanks.

• Level 5*

It looks like everyone that is seeing this is on Mavericks or an earlier version of the OS.  Is that true?  Anyone using Yosemite?   I'll keep everyone posted as we continue to investigate the issue.  Thanks.

I just ran a test in EN Mac 6.0.11, Yosemite (10.10.3), and it worked fine.

But when I ran the same test in the same Note in Mavericks (10.9.5), it scrolled the wrong way after a RETURN.

I have a workaround to the problem. If you put some character after the return, the page scrolls properly.

Let's say like an space or another character, or even a word, and then you hit the return just before it... the page scrolls properly and then you don't go nuts while writing. 

The characters should be in the same line as the cursor when you hit the return, otherwise it doesn't work. 

• Level 5*

Works great!  Thanks @lpuerto!   :ph34r: 

So I am using a period (".") at the end of the line, and just keep it there.
I position the cursor just prior to the period.  As I hit RETURN, it moves the period down with the RETURN, and the page scrolls normally!

Archived