Immediate and longterm storage / back up

I'd like to use Evernote both for storing articles and files I may not need for a while (but as a teacher and writer I just may!) and for the everyday notes, todos, to reads...  Any suggestions on the least clumsy way of arranging this?  Also- showing my ignorance here - does what I save on Evernote take up space on my iPhone- or does it all live somewhere in the cloud unless I download it?

Thanks

• Level 5*

On the iPhone, Evernote stores (by default) ONLY the Note header info (Title, NB, Tags, etc), and pulls the Note content from the EN Cloud when you tap a Note to view it.  So it should not take much space on your iPhone.

BTW, there is an EN iOS option to store Notebooks offline, in which case EN does store the entire contents of the Note in these NBs.

Both EN Win and EN Mac store your entire account (all sync'd notes) on your local hard drive and sync with the EN Cloud.

However, do NOT use or rely upon the EN Cloud as your primary backup.

Your best protection is to do your own backups -- do NOT rely on Evernote.

If you want to backup your Evernote Notes so that you can restore them in case of loss, you have a number of choices.

1. For ease of restore use a local backup system like MS Windows Backup for EN Win, and Time Machine for EN Mac, to backup the Evernote folder on your machine 
  2. For catastrophic protection use an online system like CrashPlan to backup the Evernote folder on your machine
  3. For a true restore, use an online system like Revert.io which backs up your sync'd Notes from the EN Cloud.
    1. This is the only backup process that I know of that provides a true restore.
  4. Export to ENEX files
    1. Export each Notebook to a separate ENEX file, and be sure to check "Include Tags".  It is best to name the ENEX file with your NB name since the ENEX file does NOT contain any NB info.
    2. Evernote provides an import process to pull these exported Notes back into Evernote
    3. So it is not really a backup/restore, but a export/import process.
    4. For more info, see this EN Knowledgebase article:
      How to back up (export) and restore (import) notes and notebooks

If you want a backup that is independent of Evernote, then export your Notes to HTML.

Here is a comprehensive Mac Backup strategy provided by long-time Evernote user/ guru and Forum member GrumpyMonkey (AKA Christopher Mayo).

Windows users may also want to review EN KB Article Backing up and Restoring Evernote Data under Windows

CAUTION:  Use of export to ENEX files will backup your Note content, but, when you go to restore, it will have these limitations/issues:

1. All links to these Notes will be broken
  2. This is really an export/import process, NOT a true restore
  3. Notebook names and Stacks will be lost
  4. Tag hierarchies will be lost
  5. When you do the restore it will go against your monthly upload allowance because Evernote sees these as NEW Notes.

However, do NOT use or rely upon the EN Cloud as your primary backup.

Your best protection is to do your own backups -- do NOT rely on Evernote.

@JMichael, could you share some of your not-so-fun experiences as a result of not having a backup elsewhere? Personally, creating backups on my local machine/ external hard drives are not that helpful. I live in one of the most corrosive places on the planet in the Northeast of Brazil on the sea front - and my notebooks rust within the space of a year (the ideal, a Macbook, costs no less than 3-4 times what it does in other countries). Either that or theft... whichever comes first. I can't quite rely on others to extract all of my information from damaged hard drives. I've learned the hard way. So the safest long-term solution I have is Evernote, Dropbox, WorkFlowy, Google drive... basically every scrap of digital information I have lives on the cloud. I've never yet had any data loss. I push these services to the limit with all kinds of unreasonable tinkering. Touch wood. 

I recommend having an "Archive" notebook and associate the appropriate tags with each note. You can then create saved searches as necessary. It takes some up-front work, but it's well worth it. 

For instance, you could have some tags like:

classroom-management

child-psych

project-ideas

phys-101

phys-102

This article really helped me simplify my notebook scheme and helps outline a realistic tagging system.

http://www.jamierubin.net/2014/07/15/going-paperless-how-i-simplified-my-notebook-organization-in-evernote-part-1/

In short: keep it in Evernote but keep it in an "Archive" notebook.

• Level 5*

@Frank.dg:

Please take note of my backup items #1 and #2 above:

#1 is for immediate, quick restore from local backup.  Restore for any online cloud service can take from hours to days, depending on how large the restore size is.  Most of us live in a climate-controlled environment where computer/hard drive corrosion is not an issue.

#2 is ONLINE, and is for catastrophic protection, whether that be due to fire, theft, hurricane, or corrosion.

I recommend doing BOTH #1 and #2.

Most of us live in a climate-controlled environment where computer/hard drive corrosion is not an issue.

That is not currently my reality... so I've come to rely on services like Evernote. Have you experienced data loss, or is it more a case of prevention is better than cure?

It seems like CrashPlan is a paid service. It doesn't seem right/ practical to pay for a backup cloud service on top of a cloud service you're already paying for. And how can one be sure that services like CrashPlan will not lose your data? Can one be sure that they are more trustworthy than Dropbox or Evernote?

• Level 5*

@Frank.dg:

You're repeating yourself.   ;)

You may want to do some research on CrashPlan.  It has been around for a long time, and IMO, if far more reliable as a backup system than any of the others you mentioned (which are really not backup systems at all).  If your data is important to you, backup is NOT something that you want to skimp on.  Even so, CrashPlan is very inexpensive for the service provided.

You're repeating yourself.   ;)

Not so much repeating myself as emphasizing my reliance on Evernote ( A... thus B ), which hasn't failed me yet. 

Any personal examples of data loss? Now this is getting repetitive. 

• Level 5*

@Frank.dg:

I have lost one or two notes, and a few updates, in Evernote.

But there are many posts in these forums by users who have suffered major loss.

About a year or two ago, there was a EN Win Beta that caused significant data loss.

IMO, using Evernote as a "backup" (which it is not) is a highly risky action.

Posted · Hidden by Metrodon, May 1, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Metrodon, May 1, 2015 - No reason given

Ahsay Backup software is the best software for Hyper - V backup solution. I am continuously using the service of this software and service is too good. Support Hyper-V cluster. Virtual machine hot backup. Fast multi-thread backup. In-File Delta incremental backup. Flexible scheduling. Unlimited retention. Secure 256-bit encryption. Local, LAN / WAN backup.http://www.ahsay.com...yper-v_benefits

• 1 year later...

I have used Evernote extensively for years (on Mac and iPad) and tell everyone about it. I use Time Machine so I assume that my files are backed up in some version, but I found it curious that when I went to the folder on my Mac that (I assume) has all my Evernote files in it, named www.evernote.com, when I clicked on the info tab, it says last modified on March 4, 2016 at 11:20 AM... But I have been using it daily (as of September 17, 2016)... So did I find the correct folder?

I realize I could do HTML backup version, but I would like this more Evernote-oriented version of my backup as well. However that the file folder suggests it is from March...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, MommahB said:

I use Time Machine so I assume that my files are backed up in some version, but I found it curious that when I went to the folder on my Mac that (I assume) has all my Evernote files in it, named www.evernote.com

If you want to know where your Evernote database folder is located,
- in the Evernote app click on About Evernote
- press the option key; you'll see an "Open Database Folder" link opened up

>>I realize I could do HTML backup version, but I would like this more Evernote-oriented version of my backup as well.

I personally don't back up my database using Time Machine
If I need to reload my database, I do it from the Evernote servers.
You might want to think about how you're going to use this TM database backup.
Its not a simple restore process

My backup process includes an html and enex export.
I use an applescript and this is launched automatically (documented here)

Archived