Questions about new Evernote service levels

So I saw the announcement a little while ago about Evernote's new service levels.  A few questions come to mind, and maybe someone here can help out.  I'm currently a free user, and I'm trying to see what's going to change for me.

1) I see that the ability to email notes into Evernote is listed as a Plus and Premium feature.  So will that functionality be disappearing from the free version of Evernote?  If so, when will that happen? UPDATE: Apparently yes, Plus and Premium only after May 2015.

2) I see that "Search in Office docs & attachments" is a Premium-only feature.  Does this include searching within PDFs?  It's worded vaguely, so I'm not clear if it's only searching within Office documents that will be Premium-only, or searching within all attachments.

So I saw the announcement a little while ago about Evernote's new service levels.  A few questions come to mind, and maybe someone here can help out.  I'm currently a free user, and I'm trying to see what's going to change for me.

1) I see that the ability to email notes into Evernote is listed as a Plus and Premium feature.  So will that functionality be disappearing from the free version of Evernote?  If so, when will that happen? UPDATE: Apparently yes, Plus and Premium only after May 2015.

2) I see that "Search in Office docs & attachments" is a Premium-only feature.  Does this include searching within PDFs?  It's worded vaguely, so I'm not clear if it's only searching within Office documents that will be Premium-only, or searching within all attachments.

1. Correct--email into Evernote will become unavailable at the end of May. 

2. Yes, this includes searching within PDFs (including image PDFs).

If the attachment is an image, then it will still be OCR'd and searchable. 

• Level 5*

I never came close to using the prior maximum premium limit so having it unlimited now won't be of any benefit to me but I suspect some will go nuts and upload everything in sight, which brings to mind the very real scalability issue.  I have scaled back my personal usage of the service because of it.  EN has been mute on this subject but this unlimited upload change opens the door for many more users to "discover" the problem.  I don't expect answers here but I really have to ask, does EN not believe there is a scalability problem even though several of us have reported it, or (more optimistically) is there a fix in the works so that this will no longer be a problem?  At the very least, EN should consider providing some minimum system guidelines for large user databases.  Stating that you have unlimited upload capability provides great marketing buzz but the service, as currently implemented, cannot handle unlimited database growth.  It is your core paying customers that are at risk.  It would be in EN's best interest to acknowledge the current limitations of large databases and work to fix them or at a minimum, help set proper expectations so users can better manage their use of the service.

Does anyone know if this faq https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/92500587means basic users can send 5 emails per day or month? Or ... Only send 5 emails... Period?

"Email forwarding is an Evernote Plus and Premium feature. Evernote Basic customers can try the feature by forwarding up to five emails."

I would assume 5 emails... period. I doubt someone would need to send 5 emails every month to try it.

Drum roll.......... Will Evernote disable the web clipper's Gmail utility for basic users?

Web Clipper is available and works for Evernote Basic users. 

I take it then that Basic users can still clip email from their Gmail accounts into Evernote. 

• Level 5*

What happened to Business? I'm a little confused. You can get Premium for your team, but what about things like the Business library, Business phone support, and so forth? I don't see pricing for Business anywhere. Has it been nixed?

I take it then that Basic users can still clip email from their Gmail accounts into Evernote.

The limit isn't on clipping content from an email, but on notes created using your Evernote email address (not to be confused with the personal email used to set up your account). This requires forwarding (or using a service that forwards) the content of an email into your Evernote email address. 

What happened to Business? I'm a little confused. You can get Premium for your team, but what about things like the Business library, Business phone support, and so forth? I don't see pricing for Business anywhere. Has it been nixed?

Still there--Premium for your team goes to: https://evernote.com/business/

• Level 5*

The limit isn't on clipping content from an email, but on notes created using your Evernote email address (not to be confused with the personal email used to set up your account). This requires forwarding (or using a service that forwards) the content of an email into your Evernote email address. 

Still there--Premium for your team goes to: https://evernote.com/business/

Weirdly, I didn't even think to click on that button... It makes more sense to me to have all of the service levels and pricing plans on one page to make it possible for users to compare and contrast all available plans, but I'm no marketing guru. Anyhow, the pricing and feature distribution makes sense to me. Good job tweaking it.

I have a couple of questions because I'm considering going from Premium to Plus:

1. When I make the move what will haven to existing notes that are larger than 50MB?
  2. What will happen with Evernote points?
    1. Is the number of points required for Premium going to increase?
    2. Will it be possible to buy Plus with points and how many points will that cost?

Thanks!

I'd assume that whatever notes were uploaded prior to a downgrade to Plus will adhere to the same limits that applied to Premium. For example, I know that previously one could still search already OCRed PDFs (Premium feature) once a downgrade had taken place.

An assumption is no more than an assumption. Best t hear the real thing "from the horse's mouth".

I'd assume that whatever notes were uploaded prior to a downgrade to Plus will adhere to the same limits that applied to Premium. For example, I know that previously one could still search already OCRed PDFs (Premium feature) once a downgrade had taken place.

Maybe so, but it would not be the 1st time that this maxim is misinterpreted, goes wrong, does not apply, ,,,,,,

I understand you firmly believe your assumption is correct, but I (& I assume (another one  :P) others with me) still prefer to hear it from Evernote (e.g. Geoffrey Barry) instead of from 1 of our colleague users.

"Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Spock

1 big issue EN will have to address is the quality of their agent support. The last few months on this forum I have seen a lot of complaints about it. So when people have to pay € 20 or € 40 per year for a poor, if not non-existing, support level, many people might stay at "basic" or vote with their feet. And, from what I understand from one source, that support level is no better for a "business" account, which, at € 12/year/user can get quite expensive if the support is not forthcoming.

• Level 5*

"Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Spock

However I think Sherlock Holmes has a prior claim - according to http://www.sherlockholmesquotes.com/ he said that four times in three books!

As to the original question,  Evernote have always preserved data collected during a premium membership even when the user downgraded to free;  oversize (for the lower membership) notes could not be edited though - although,  and again presumably,  they could be copy / pasted in sections into smaller notes if required.  With Evernote's avowed "your data is your data" policy I don't see them totally blocking access to anything...

I understand you firmly believe your assumption is correct, but I (& I assume (another one  :P) others with me) still prefer to hear it from Evernote (e.g. Geoffrey Barry) instead of from 1 of our colleague users.

Not so firmly... just pulling your leg @DutchPete. You are, of course, right. As @Gazumped mentioned... there may be a few caveats:

... oversize (for the lower membership) notes could not be edited though ...

However I think Sherlock Holmes has a prior claim - according to http://www.sherlockholmesquotes.com/ he said that four times in three books!

Thanks! Yes, you are absolutely right... In the piece of dialogue below (from the 2010 Sherlock TV Series - S02E02), Watson sarcastically calls Sherlock, "Spock", referring to a line from from Star Trek VI (1991)... which in turn was taken directly from the Sherlock Holmes novels, which predate all the rest by about 125 years... 

Sherlock: Once you've ruled out the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be true... The grit on the lens, the fly in the ointment.
Watson: Yeah, all right, Spock, just... take it easy.

I have a couple of questions because I'm considering going from Premium to Plus:

1. When I make the move what will haven to existing notes that are larger than 50MB?
  2. What will happen with Evernote points?
    1. Is the number of points required for Premium going to increase?
    2. Will it be possible to buy Plus with points and how many points will that cost?

Thanks!

1. What Gazumped said above. 

2A. No. 

2B. Not at present. Points can only be redeemed for monthly or annual Premium. 

• 1 month later...

Drum roll.......... Will Evernote disable the web clipper's Gmail utility for basic users?

Based upon a recent survey Evernote sent me, it looks like Evernote is planning to move the web clipper to their Plus plan.

Cut and pasted from another comment I was writing when I realized I was off-topic:

I recently terminated my Premium account simply because the ONLY thing I used it for was versioning. And it was only because Evernote's sync itself destroyed a note that I could only recover by signing up for Premium to access an older version. After several months I realized that I didn't need Evernote anymore since I hadn't had a recent need to rollback a note to a previous version. All of the other features in Premium were useless to me.

Upon quitting my month-to-month premium plan, I received a survey from Evernote that has me thinking I will be converting to OneNote should they revise their plans as presented. BECAUSE WEB CLIPPING IS UNDER CONSIDERATION TO BE PART OF THE PLUS PLAN. What in the hell is Evernote thinking? I am not paying a dime for something that has been free for years. Had I been a email note saver when that switched to Plus, I'd probably have gone back to Springpad, if they were still around. Sadly, I only left SP because they were way too focused on being Pinterest or anything other than individual productivity.

Argh, looking at the competition just now, Evernote really has its customers over a barrel. The other options out their are either too simple (Google and Simplenote) or not yet ready for prime time (OneNote365 is nigh unusable and I barely tolerate Word365 as it is without its ability to create/edit Styles).

• Level 5*

What in the hell is Evernote thinking? I am not paying a dime for something that has been free for years. 

You seem to think that you are entitled to a FREE Evernote account.  You are not.

Evernote is a for-profit business, and is entitled to charge for all of their products, and make a profit if they can.

Many software companies often offer their products for free or at a reduced rate during a introductory period.  At some point in time, they usually start charging for the product, or use the "free" product as a inducement to buy their other products, or flood you with ads in the product itself.  The fact that any product was free at some point is no guarantee that it will always be free.

If you find value in their product, you should be willing to pay a reasonable price for it, plain and simple.  $3/month seems very reasonable to me.

Based upon a recent survey Evernote sent me, it looks like Evernote is planning to move the web clipper to their Plus plan.

Interesting. You must admit, though, that although this will not be well-received by the hordes, Evernote might very well be making a good move when it comes to their own interests. I think they should do it. Why this was never a premium feature from the get-go still amazes me. You're right in that many of the Premium features we can get by without. I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing... I just think it would be a spectacular business move for Evernote. It just makes business sense. BUT... until then, it is simply speculation.

What in the hell is Evernote thinking? I am not paying a dime for something that has been free for years. 

You seem to think that you are entitled to a FREE Evernote account.  You are not.

Evernote is a for-profit business, and is entitled to charge for all of their products, and make a profit if they can.

Many software companies often offer their products for free or at a reduced rate during a introductory period.  At some point in time, they usually start charging for the product, or use the "free" product as a inducement to buy their other products, or flood you with ads in the product itself.  The fact that any product was free at some point is no guarantee that it will always be free.

If you find value in their product, you should be willing to pay a reasonable price for it, plain and simple.  $3/month seems very reasonable to me.

You write "you seem to think" and then go on assuming that is what I think. How about next time you ask instead of replying with what is nothing more than a trollish reply? Thank you.

Interesting. You must admit, though, that although this will not be well-received by the hordes, Evernote might very well be making a good move when it comes to their own interests. I think they should do it. Why this was never a premium feature from the get-go still amazes me. You're right in that many of the Premium features we can get by without. I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing... I just think it would be a spectacular business move for Evernote. It just makes business sense. BUT... until then, it is simply speculation.

Indeed. It'd be a great business move. Evernote has a practical monopoly in its service area. No other tool out there comes close to what Evernote does. Aside from my hyperbole, if no other competitor steps in and offers something that meets my requirements, I may go back to being a premium or even plus member if copy'n'paste becomes too much of a burden. It's just that the divide between what Evernote offers and what its competition offers is so vast. That Springpad failed to see this and concentrated too much on "social" was disapppointing. Hopefully, somebody else sees this gap and builds something for the middle to keep Evernote in check.

@jklmnopedia: I'd be interested in getting some of the content from the survey you received (feel free to PM me). If you canceled your Premium subscription it was likely our "exit" survey. That has everything to do with determining why you're leaving so we can do a better job of retaining your business. 

Oh, blarney, I confused myself. And I apologize to everyone for wasting your time. Despite having completed the survey the other day, I was able to access it again. It is "Save emails into Evernote" that is suggested as possibly being moved to the Plus plan. I had thought this feature was clipping because I click the web clipper to save an email and I didn't view what was applicable to all plans, skipping straight to what was missing in Basic and Plus compared to Premium, and thus missing the first feature listed, web clipping.

Oh, blarney, I confused myself. And I apologize to everyone for wasting your time. Despite having completed the survey the other day, I was able to access it again. It is "Save emails into Evernote" that is suggested as possibly being moved to the Plus plan. I had thought this feature was clipping because I click the web clipper to save an email and I didn't view what was applicable to all plans, skipping straight to what was missing in Basic and Plus compared to Premium, and thus missing the first feature listed, web clipping.

Thanks for clarifying.

For what it's worth, that ship has sailed.  Evernote has already announced that saving emails into Evernote is going to be a Plus/Premium feature.  Originally I believe that was supposed to happen at the end of May or early June, but most recently I saw a message about it going into effect on July 6.  See https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/94691268.

Thanks for the PM and the info. I'll check into the survey to see if we need to modify/remove it--the email into Evernote question makes me think it's a little old. 

Archived