Today while using the windows app I recieved a "Context" notice, what is it?

Responding to the title question of this thread:

A Google search for "Evenote Context" will give one a good idea - the first 7 hits of which pretty much tell you everything you need to know.

To answer your post's question: yes. Unless it happens by magic. Not sure what kind of wonders happen in Evernote's backend transmogrifier, though.

There's a great deal about the question of Evernote mining your data right here in the forums. It will keep you entertained for a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

A Google search for "Evenote Context" will give one a good idea - the first 7 hits of which pretty much tell you everything you need to know.

To answer your post's question: yes. Unless it happens by magic. Not sure what kind of wonders happen in Evernote's backend transmogrifier, though.

There's a great deal about the question of Evernote mining your data right here in the forums. It will keep you entertained for a bit.

If the question bothered you in any way because you felt it was something I could have looked up on my own, you could have just ignored it all together without being obnoxious about it. 

Context is a relatively new feature that presents related content from your notebooks and some external sources. This is customizable and can be entirely disabled in the application preferences. As I understand it Evernote is not disclosing your data to any third parties, it is just doing the usual processing it has always done to serve up "related notes" (which has been around for years). The difference is, now they are taking the related notes info and fetching some external sources along with it. The key is that Evernote fetches the data, it does not give your data to the external party to parse and return content. 

now, it is fairly obvious that Evernote's servers to read your data to do most of what evernote does (e.g., offer you sophisticated search even in their web interface, as well as OCR images and whatnot. How much information, precisely, is shared with external sources is not clearly stated, though the answer is likely "little to none, and probably only in anonymized aggregated form" (my speculation). 

Reading:

https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/10/02/context-work-enriched-smartest-minds/

https://evernote.com/context/faq/

https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/11/03/context-dont-just-work-best-work/

https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/12/19/context-makes-informed-work-android-windows/

(Grabbed from the suggested google search, and can explain it in much greater detail than I ever could). 

The utility of the feature is debated around here. I don't find it terribly useful, but others find it immensely helpful. Depends a great deal on your use case. 

• Level 5*

. . .

If the question bothered you in any way because you felt it was something I could have looked up on my own, you could have just ignored it all together without being obnoxious about it. 

@ChrisS:

Frank.dg was trying to be helpful while at the same time encourage you to do some research on your own before posting a question.
This is generally expected in most forums, as we are all volunteers and are not highly motivated to help those who won't help themselves.

Google search is a great tool, and in many, many cases can answer the question posted, as good as and often better, than the replies in the forum.  Google will give you a wider variety of results/approaches/opinions, and can lead to you learning related matters.

So, next time, let me encourage you to give Google a shot before posting your question.
If your question is still unanswered, let us know what you found, and you'll likely see more interest in helping you.

I actually Googled "Evernote Context" before I wrote the post... and believe it or not, briefly looked at each of the 1st 7 hits. They express it all so much better than I ever could. If you follow that piece of advice then it served its purpose.

When I responded, "Unless it happens by magic."... I was taking it for granted that for any scanning of your notes to take place, there would naturally be an algorithm of some sort behind the scenes. Could it be any other way? Truly, I was not bothered when I made that post. Please, don't worry about me. I'm OK. 

BTW, "Transmogrifier" is a reference to a recurring trope in the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip. It infers some sort of a transformation that happens, the inner workings of which I am not privy to...  and is also an admittance of my complete lack of knowledge of the algorithm being used (or algorithms in general). But the thing is that there is a transmogrifier box and there is an algorithm. I think. Unless it's by magic. 

Transmogrifier.gif?dl=1

Bonus: Here's the best search engine that exists, IMHO:

http://michaelyingling.com/random/calvin_and_hobbes/

Archived