Could not open key:

BugZapper

I am having trouble installing EN 5.8.5 on a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit.  During the install I get the above message and the key is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER32\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\run

This is a fresh install (no previous version).  Once you get the error, replying OK just backs out the install.  There is no program to uninstall in the control panel.  I did run the install as administrator and have disabled the anti-virus.

Any suggestions.

post-256109-0-02548500-1430146048_thumb.

post-256109-0-43952800-1430146078_thumb.

post-256109-0-17661900-1430146104_thumb.

This sounds similar to some issues some users have seen with the MenuExt entries. Right now, the suspicion is that your virus protection has modified the permissions on those keys to "protect" you. Disabling your virus doesn't re-adjust the registry permissions. If your virus allows you to say something like 'allow programs to modify anything in the registry', you might want to enable that. Otherwise, you'll need to manually use regedit and take possession of that key.

gazumped - My control panel settings for IE, specifically the SSL and TLS setting were already set to the suggestions in the article.  I downloaded the install package and ran it from my hard drive.  This way I could right click on it to "Run as administrator".  Which did not help.

dconnet - I did go into the registry as per you suggestion and gave myself "Full Control".  This did not solve the problem.  I then went into the registry an made myself the "Owner" and this also failed. 

What anti-virus are you using? Maybe it's still actively blocking even though you told it not to? We haven't been able to reproduce the registry-failure (either this or the IE-related one) in-house yet, so we're still just guessing...

• Level 5*

I am having trouble installing EN 5.8.5 on a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit.  During the install I get the above message and the key is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER32\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\run

This is a fresh install (no previous version).  Once you get the error, replying OK just backs out the install.  There is no program to uninstall in the control panel.  I did run the install as administrator and have disabled the anti-virus.

Any suggestions.

This is just a guess, but since you stated "I did run the install as administrator", it makes me think you are NOT logged in as a user with administrator rights, but used the "run as administrator" option.  Maybe you could try signing into Windows as a Windows Administrator, and then try installing Evernote.

If that doesn't help, another thought is to try installing the previous ver of EN Win.

Also, I'm curious as to the brand/model of your PC, if you don't mind sharing.

@dconnet:  It is very disturbing that an first install of Evernote on a brand new PC with Win7 fails.

@dconnet:  It is very disturbing that an first install of Evernote on a brand new PC with Win7 fails.

Yes - but if an anti-virus program is doing weird stuff (like changing registry permissions to things they shouldn't be to prevent "rogue" programs), there's not much we can do. At that point, control is inside the msiexec process when it processes the RemoveRegistry msi table.

And Max raised a point I forgot - SYSTEM needs access to those keys since that's the context the installer is currently running in (that table is processed during the elevated portion of Windows Installer).

Problem has been solved.  The registry key permissions for '...\CurrentVersion\Run' were screwed up when compared to another machine.  Not sure why the install failed initially, but I may have hosed up the key while setting the permissions and taking ownership.  Regardless, to fix the problem I went to "permissions-->advanced" and clicked on "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent".  After applying this, I again ran the install as administrator and all worked.  Thank you for your contributions.

• Level 5*

@dconnet:

Yeah, I hear ya.  But it's a mystery why installing Evernote would be a problem but not for other apps.

That's one reason I really have enjoyed switching from PC/Win to Mac -- no registry, no screwy anti-virus.   ;) 

Archived