Team work with Evernote?

Hi,

I shared  a bunch of folders with documents and clipped webpages with my partner. In order to work on those documents in Evernote she first has to download them in order to work on them and than reload the whole thing on to Evernote. Is there a way that we can both work on the uploaded file and just actualize? Also, is simultaneous team working on documents possible?

Thank you very much for your feed-back!

Did you share folders from your desktop in one Evernote notebook... or are you saying that you shared a bunch of notebooks? Initially, when someone syncs a joined notebook, everything within those notebooks will be downloaded from EN's servers. I'm not sure what you mean by having to subsequently "reload the whole thing onto Evernote"... One joins the notebook(s) while on the web... and the joined notebook would then sync via one's web client through to the desktop client. 

Are you working from the web client or desktop? Your first request is how things already work. Whatever you update should sync through. Not the whole bang shoot. 

As to the 2nd question... no, unfortunately, simultaneous editing on any document within any note (or the note itself) will create conflicting errors. What Evernote will do is lock a note already being worked on so that others with editing permissions cannot access it. Evernote is not quite on a par with, say, Google Docs just yet. You might want to give Work Chat a spin and alternate the editing on any given note.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/38782-concurrent-editing-a-la-google-docs/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/72563-why-evernote-cant-be-synchronized-when-two-people-are-editing-the-profile-at-the-same-time/

There may be one solution worth looking into - a 3rd-party Evernote integration - LiveMinutes:

https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/12/27/how-to-collaborate-on-documents-with-evernote/

Thank you Frank.dg, I'll look up those links. 

Regarding the 1rst question: what I find annoying is that clicking on the document in the shared Evernote folder induces not just opening the file but it's download into my download folder. I'd rather have it open in Evernote and save changes directly there. For now, if i open and work on it from the download folder, I have to save the file there (or in another document folder) and re-add it into Evernote. This are too much steps to be efficient :-(

Thank you Frank.dg, I'll look up those links. 

Regarding the 1rst question: what I find annoying is that clicking on the document in the shared Evernote folder induces not just opening the file but it's download into my download folder. I'd rather have it open in Evernote and save changes directly there. For now, if i open and work on it from the download folder, I have to save the file there (or in another document folder) and re-add it into Evernote. This are too much steps to be efficient :-(

You still didn't say which client you were using... Mac, Windows, iOS, Android...? Are you looking at the shared document via Work Chat or from the joined notebook itself? I don't understand the hassle and the downloading part... unless you're talking about working from a mobile device. If so, then we can talk further about that. I'm not sure I understand the terminology "download folder" and "re-adding" it into Evernote. That does sound like a runaround... but also completely unnecessary. You'll need to give extra details...

I am working with Mac OS. I tried to work on the shared document via the joined notebook itself (What is work chat?). When I click on the file, it doesn't open directly but saves a copy in downloads which I am able to open. When I save the changes, it doesn't automatically save back on Evernote but only in the Mac download folder.

Wait....

I just understood the essential difference btw using Evernote from the web and using it from my desktop. This makes it ALL different. 

With the desktop programme there is no pb at all. I can open the file, work on it and changes are saved back on Evernote. 

Foolish enough, yet thanks again for bearing with me :-)

Have a nice day!

If you can get used to working on the Desktop client, as you've seen, you'll get a lot more latitude in more ways than one. If you're working on a Word or Excel document... then web editing just doesn't happen (through Evernote web)... it gets downloaded. 

I'm glad you've figured it out :-)

@French Lunch - try this.

In the Mac desktop app...

1. Create a Note in a Shared notebook.
  2. Drag and drop an office file into the note. In this example let's use an Excel file.
  3. Let the Evernote app sync, or force the sync by pressing the sync button in the toolbar or by saving the Note (command+s)
  4. In the note, double click the Excel file. This will launch Excel and open the Excel file directly in Excel.
  5. Make a change and save the Excel file. This will save the changes directly into the Excel file that is attached to the note.
  6. Close Excel.
  7. Your partner can use the same process when opening the file in the shared Note.

It's that simple.

However, you and your partner cannot both be editing the same document at the same time. If you are editing in a note your partner will be able to view the note, but they will not be able to edit at the same time. The note will be locked for them, to prevent data conflicts.

Archived