How to back-up everything in non ENEX format

Hi all,

I love using Evernote and ain't planning to stop using it. However, I can't afford to lose all my data that I am storing over time with Evernote.

I have found information how to backup with the ENEX format. But I am not happy with this method. How much I trust Evernote I don't like this option. If I suddenly can't open ENEX via Evernote I have a problem.

So, is there a way to export the notes in for examle .doc(x) format and the PDF and JPEG files in a "folder" kind. 

For example I love Google Drive but I use it because they have the "Google Takeout" option so I can backup and take my data with me.

I hope you guys can help me.

Cheers

• Level 5*

@BjeLee:

Evernote provides an export to HTML option, which is a universal format readable by many other apps.

If you want to backup your Evernote Notes so that you can restore them in case of loss, you have a number of choices.

1. For ease of restore use a local backup system like MS Windows Backup for EN Win, and Time Machine for EN Mac, to backup the Evernote folder on your machine 

2. For catastrophic protection use an online system like CrashPlan to backup the Evernote folder on your machine

3. For a true restore, use an online system like Revert.io which backs up your sync'd Notes from the EN Cloud.

1. This is the only backup process that I know of that provides a true restore.

4. Export to ENEX files

1. Evernote provides an import process to pull these exported Notes back into Evernote

2. So it is not really a backup/restore, but a export/import process.

3. For more info, see this EN Knowledgebase article:

How to back up (export) and restore (import) notes and notebooks

Thank you for your replies.

I think the option that works the best for me is the built in export option to a multiple html archive. So the notes are per note divided (instead of one big list) and ofcourse I can find the PDF files. At the end, not as sleek as in Evernote ofcourse. But that doesn't matter. It is just in case Evernote ever goes offline I don't lose all of my data.... You knever know, better safe then sorry. 

• 1 year later...

I've tried to get an API key as Brian Caldwell suggested. Maybe it's just me but the form fails saying to click on a link for developer support - link requires the API key which I don't have.

Hello, Evernote? Is it time for me to take my 4,000+ notes somewhere else? Please don't suggest the Microsoft product!

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, ripwit said:

I've tried to get an API key as Brian Caldwell suggested. Maybe it's just me but the form fails saying to click on a link for developer support - link requires the API key which I don't have.

Did you fill out the form?58c58cb2d8667_ScreenShot2017-03-12at10_54_41AM.png.5cdd76da8eabba61f02ddfbb2c69e59d.png

Two possibilities:

1. There's a app called https://www.exportnote.com which seems to do exactly what you are looking for. 15$ and you're safe.

2. You can import enex-files into OneNote and Apple Notes, which makes Evernote basically much safer than OneNote, as it allows you to switch easily if the service was discontinued all of a sudden.

If Evernote goes down, hello OneNote, hello Apple Notes, hello whatever. All data migrated without a hassle, and the least you get is time to sort out a future notes strategy. 

If OneNote is discontinued ... well, good luck with exporting your handwritten notes which are part of a note and at the same time partly written over an image-file created from a PDF.

I'm not anti-OneNote, but I consider the issue of "what if it is discontinued" a much more severe problem with OneNote than with Evernote. I have to use OneNote at work, and I have no idea how I would ever be able to properly save the stuff if it was discontinued or if I changed employer and wanted to migrate large parts of my work into a system other than OneNote.

Evernote has a readily available OneNote- or Apple Notes-backup plan, which actually reduces the necessity to switch or to worry.

Thanks, Brian. I checked all the boxes and filled out all the text field and it worked.

I believe I may have left the "Organization" field blank. Strange that the form wouldn't at least get angry about missing fields.

Anyhoo - thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also use cloudhq.com, which saves all notes as PDF into google drive. 

I don't like this solution, but it's a way to restore your data by importing into something else, though a hard way. PDFs' are not easily parseable.

It's also not a backup,  per se, because you cannot restore to Evernote. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, famadorian said:

You can also use cloudhq.com, which saves all notes as PDF into google drive. 

cloudHQ gives you a choice of formats.  I already use pdf format in EN for my static data but I prefer html for the metadata

>>PDFs' are not easily parseable.

My preference is html, which the most parseable for me (scripting on a Mac).

>>It's also not a backup,  per se, because you cannot restore to Evernote

If your objective is to "restore to Evernote", you must stick with the ENEX format

If your objective is a backup to Evernote, the other formats work because they are readable

Archived