Text disappeared from note: undependable?

I have a fairly long note (in its current form 8000+ words). 

I've just added a few lines to it in the Windows app. Then I noticed that text that I had been adding yesterday and/or the day before (can't be sure which) is no longer in that file. It's not on the Android tablet I sometimes use to access Evernote either, nor in the web interface.

Is this a common phenomenon? That Evernote makes text randomly disappear, or let you work in an outdated version of the note?

There's nothing in the "conflicting versions" notebook. How can this happen? 

Is this some scam to make me start using Premium? But what guarantee do I have that my text still won't be lost?

It's a bit of a nightmare, because I lost quite a bit of text.

Well, I see I can only make 4 more posts untill 27 April. Let me use at least one of them to say: subscribing to Premium gave me access to a previous version which at least contained some of the text that had gone missing. That's a relief.
There's still some text missing. 

Does this teach me that I should take the premium version? No, it teaches me that I will cancel the premium version at the earliest opportunity, and that I should remember not to RELY on Evernote but only use it for things that aren't that important to begin with.  Because before you know it, some text gets lost. The system isn't dependable. 

Pity.

I've just added a few lines to it in the Windows app. Then I noticed that text that I had been adding yesterday and/or the day before (can't be sure which) is no longer in that file. It's not on the Android tablet I sometimes use to access Evernote either, nor in the web interface.

Is this a common phenomenon? That Evernote makes text randomly disappear, or let you work in an outdated version of the note?

Is this some scam to make me start using Premium? But what guarantee do I have that my text still won't be lost?

Well, I see I can only make 4 more posts untill 27 April. Let me use at least one of them to say: subscribing to Premium gave me access to a previous version which at least contained some of the text that had gone missing. That's a relief.

There's still some text missing.

Does this teach me that I should take the premium version? No, it teaches me that I will cancel the premium version at the earliest opportunity, and that I should remember not to RELY on Evernote but only use it for things that aren't that important to begin with. Because before you know it, some text gets lost. The system isn't dependable.

Pity.

There is no true versioning on Evernòte. It has been posted often on this board that note history is only taken about once every eight hours. Since note history is done on the Evernote servers, if the changes you added a day or two ago were never synced to the servers, those changes will not be included in any note history.

WRT number of posts, for users new to the board, there is a limit in the first 24 hours. After that, the limit is lifted. This is to prevent spammers from flooding the board with spam posts.

• Level 5*

Hopefully you have been able to recover most, if not all, of you lost data.

It is hard to say what caused your loss of data, but sync issues would be high on my list of possible causes.

I believe sync issues are caused by design flaws, bugs, and user actions (or lack of actions).  The sync process is not nearly as robust as it should be, and does NOT do as much as it could to prevent the user from causing sync issues.

Having said that, I have found the following to be helpful in preventing sync issues:

1. Use multiple short Notes rather than one long Note that has many/frequent edits
  2. It is best to consistently manually sync, and sync often, especially after:
    1. Entry/Edit of an important note
    2. End of Session BEFORE you close or put your machine to sleep
    3. End of Day
    4. Start using a different device
      1. Even if you notice the Sync icon spinning on EN iOS when you switch to the app, do a manual sync anyway after it finishes spinning
      2. I have noticed that the initial sync does NOT always do a full sync.
      3. I'm not sure about Android devices, but I would do the same just to be safe.
  • 1 year later...

This has been happening to me on a long note which i do frequent edits on.

I was ok when the conflict notes pop up because then atleast the data is there and I can copy it over. But to have text disappear, that is not acceptable. It there is one function of an online text editor needs, is to sync properly. I've now typed out the same few paragraphs twice over the last couple of days, and I just checked and its disappeared again.

I now know that I cannot trust the system, which throws my whole usage of it into doubt.

Archived