Suggestion: Bookmarks (favornote)

Would really love to see this type of bookmarking included in Evernote (favornote.appspot.com). If I could create multiple bookmarks in a single note by subject like favornote does instead of one note per bookmark I could dump all my other bookmarking services. When you have 16,000+ bookmarks having a single note for each bookmark just isn't practical. and makes managing a nightmare.

Attached is a screenshot of a note created with Favornote.

post-244472-0-25016800-1429893687_thumb.

I don't understand the request. Are you asking for Evernote to roll out a feature exactly like Favornote? I just took it for a spin, and it works as advertised. It works the way you'd want the proposed Evernote feature to work... except that it's a 3rd-party utility. How would you want Evernote's implementation to differ from Favornote?

At a superficial glance, I doubt one would be able to do a better job with this kind of setup than a browser bookmarking toolbar does. Favornote pops your bookmarks into Evernote notes of your choosing... but:

• There is no way to have collapsible outlines within Evernote (equivalent of nested folders in a toolbar).
  • Your bookmark stash in Evernote would become unwieldy within a handful of bookmarks. Notes are dissociated from one another. 
  • You're moving from an Evernote note (link) to your browser. Wouldn't one want to use a browser utility when you're already in your browser?
  • No way to reshuffle individual bookmarks within Evernote (created via Favornote) by dragging and dropping as one can in your browser bookmarks toolbar.

I see people getting excited about consolidating bookmarks in Evernote via the abovementioned service, but then finding it highly impractical for the immediate bookmarks one uses from day to day. Perhaps a good idea for bookmarks one has a vague recollection of... but then that's why we have browser history to help us out. I'm really struggling here to see why someone would want to hoard all of their bookmarks in Evernote other than the possibility of it now being a little easier and just because you can. 

EDIT: On the positive side, I'm sure I can come up with some useful use cases:

• Printing a list of bookmarks
  • Sharing a list of bookmarks via a shared Evernote note (if one had no use for Social bookmarking sites such as Digg)
  • A note containing bookmarks could show up in Evernote's "Context"... also through a Google search (if one has that option activated within the EN web clipper)
    • Interesting thing is I just checked Evernote's Context for a note with a random few bookmarks I sent Evernote's way... It shows notes in my account clipped from those URLs... so in effect, one could have a note with productivity-related bookmarks and you'll find associated notes within your account on the same topic, similar to related notes shown when one is working in Clearly or viewing related notes after one has clipped a page to Evernote in the web clipper dialogue box.
  • A brief summary of the bookmarked page (with any included notes) may show up in an Evernote search.
  • Fill in the blank...

instead of using the 3rd party bookmarklet, i'd want the same functionality in the Evernote browser plugin, currently the bookmark feature in the clipper creates a single bookmark in a single note (Let me choose how I want the clipper to create bookmarks). Also on your point of collapsable outlines, I don't need a folder structure of bookmarks because I don't use many folders to organize notes because the power of Evernote comes from tags and search.

With placing items in a folder you can only have 1 note in 1 folder, but with tags I can assign several tags to that same note and those tags can be nested just like an outline. I don't hunt through folders for information in Evernote, I just search a keyword or tag. 

I agree that bookmark clippings through the EN web clipper could be diversified as you say... however, the Favornote bookmark utility would be just as simple to use, if not simpler, since there would be at least an extra click within the revamped web clipper to choose the bookmark clipping option (unless one only ever clips bookmarks).

I'm trying to work with you on this one: definitely, "the power of Evernote comes from tags and search"... which would mean that the web clipper feature would have to add tags and append further bookmarks to the note(s) you choose. If all/ many of your programming/ coding bookmarks went into one note, wouldn't that be the same as creating individual notes for individual bookmarks and having those appear in a tag search. And why would one need to tag notes with "Coding" if one already titled the note as such? 

On the other hand, if one tagged a note with multiple tags to reflect the variety of bookmark contents therein, whether one does a tag search or a keyword search, one will get the entire note with perhaps dozens or scores of bookmarks to scan through... or else do an additional in-note search to locate your bookmark you're looking for.

The thing I can't get around, no matter how you try to work around it, is that unless you always categorize your bookmarks perfectly into the notes they should go, you're going to have to do a lot of cutting and pasting to relocate your bookmarks into the this time (hopefully) "correct" note. The power of tagging in Evernote lies particularly in the ability to multi-tag individual elements and un-tag/ re-tag them as necessary to pinpoint specific bookmarks according to multiple criteria (tags).

With placing items in a folder you can only have 1 note in 1 folder, but with tags I can assign several tags to that same note and those tags can be nested just like an outline. I don't hunt through folders for information in Evernote, I just search a keyword or tag. 

I'm not sure what to make of the above... one can put up to 100,000 notes in one notebook (what you call a folder). Sure, you can assign several tags to a note, whether it has multiple bookmarks therein or just one. This is not really a case for notebooks vs. tags. We're looking at multiple vs. single bookmarks in individual notes. You can nest your tags just like an outline whichever method you choose. Incidentally, whether someone has a predominantly notebook-based setup or a tag-based setup with minimal notebooks, either way, one can still leverage tags and search by either tag or keyword.

My original train of thought was not a single bookmark per note as opposed to multiple bookmarks in a single note. Though I could come up with a handful of decent use cases for the Favornote implementation (or an Evernote version), my thoughts went back to the good old-fashioned bookmarks toolbar in one's browser, together with a powerful browser history search... I'm not convinced that bookmarks in Evernote make for practical navigation. 

I find myself thinking that if one had just 1000 bookmarks, a fraction of your 16,000+,  it would make my life a heck of a lot easier to do a fresh Google search, which, BTW, seems to give us some of the most relevant (and current) results among the first hits. How did we find our original bookmarks in the first place? That, in lieu of doing a search in Evernote and then another search intra-note, only to come up with possibly outdated bookmarks from yesteryear. The OCD beast within me would love to have its own way and have everything under one roof... but I don't see it as being a "lean" practice. having said that, one of Evernote's most fascinating ways of consolidating what you search on the web with what you have in your Evernote account is the web clipper's "Related Results" feature where you get to see notes within your EN account alongside your Google search results.  

Now, if we're talking about web clippings (not bookmarks), that's a whole different ballgame...

OK, I see your point now, cut and pasting would become a nightmare if I had to move links to a different note. I may have to revisit this strategy of favornote and do away with it altogether and start training myself to just use the web clipper to capture bookmarks instead of favornote.

There must be a dozen decent use cases for Favornote, though... at the very least, a great tool for appending multiple links to a single note while researching. It beats the current Evernote aesthetics of merged notes.

Same thing for me @JMichael.

Another thing is that I'd prefer to see it as an extension as opposed to a bookmark incarnation, because in Chrome I choose to hide my bookmarks toolbar, which only shows up temporarily when I open a new tab. So inevitably I'd have to use a keyboard shortcut to unhide the bookmarks toolbar first.

What I might be interested to see is a browser extension that takes my bookmarks toolbar as is and mirrors it in Evernote in the following way:

1. Have its own dedicated notebook/ tag in Evernote

2. Create a note for each of my top-level folders/ bookmarks

3. Within each note, create a hierarchy/ outline of bookmarks according to the way they are currently nested in my toolbar. I only go as deep as a bookmark within a folder within a folder.

4. Whenever one deletes, shuffles or creates bookmarks in one's browser, those get mirrored within my bookmark notes in Evernote.

I wouldn't use these bookmarks withing EN to navigate. They may simply show up in Context and Related Notes across Clearly, the web clipper dialogue box, in-account and alongside my Google search results... And also any relevant keyword search in EN.

I'm already using EN for bookmarking both ways. I've given up, at least for now, on bookmarking apps like Diigo. I don't find bookmarklets without some kind of context notes and/or tags useful anymore.

Great concept, but Evernote is already capable of doing this without a 3rd Party app. ☺

You can add context to Diigo highlights.

I'm already using EN for bookmarking both ways. I've given up, at least for now, on bookmarking apps like Diigo. I don't find bookmarklets without some kind of context notes and/or tags useful anymore.

Great concept, but Evernote is already capable of doing this without a 3rd Party app. ☺

@Wordsgood - How are you able to do bookmark like favornote in EN without a 3rd party app?

Archived