Why does it say email address is still being used after I deactivated my account?

Dear Evernote,

I have 2 accounts, my work account and personal account. These use the respective emails (work and personal). I paid for premium on my personal email/account. However, I wanted to merge the 2 and so I deactivated my work account. I tried to change my email address to my work account (from the personal account) but it says the email address is still being used. Please advice me how I can resolve the situation. 

Vincent

• Ex Employees

Evernote does not allow two accounts to have the same email address - even if you deactivate an account. Deactivating your account basically means you are turning off your account access. Evernote doesn’t automatically delete your notes when you deactivate your account. 

You will need to reactivate your account, change the email address, and only then will that address be available to be used on another account. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I would just like to bump this thread because I am having the exact same issue and I do not understand the @charboyd response.

To be clear, I have account A registered under email X. I have account B registered under email Y. I deactivated account B several months ago. I would now like to change the email under account A to address Y, but when I attempt to do so it tells me that this email is associated with another account and asks me if I would like to reactivate it. I do not wish to do this. How do I associate email address Y with account A? Thank you!

43 minutes ago, JackMagic said:

I would just like to bump this thread because I am having the exact same issue and I do not understand the @charboyd response.

To be clear, I have account A registered under email X. I have account B registered under email Y. I deactivated account B several months ago. I would now like to change the email under account A to address Y, but when I attempt to do so it tells me that this email is associated with another account and asks me if I would like to reactivate it. I do not wish to do this. How do I associate email address Y with account A? Thank you!

Because deactivated Evernote accounts can be reactivated at any time, simply deactivating the account does not free up the email address for use in another Evernote account. To swap the email addresses on your accounts:

1. Sign in to the account with your desired email address at https://www.evernote.com. If the account has been deactivated, you can reactivate it here.
  2. Change the email address on that account to something not currently associated with another Evernote account (this will free up the use of your desired email address). If you don't have an additional email address to add to this account, or you do not wish to use one of your additional email addresses, I suggest using a service such as 10 Minute Mail.
  3. Sign out then sign in to your primary account
  4. Change the email address to your desired email address

Archived