Adding Work Chat notes to your folders

I am trying to better understand the work chat feature and sharing notes. Can a shared note be moved into one of my folders or does it only live in the work chat button? Can I gain complete ownership of the note?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Shared notes (not notebooks) can only be accessed from Work Chat. You can copy it to a notebook, but that's now a copy - not the original (changes won't sync).

At the top right corner of the Work Chat thread, there's a paperclip with a number next to it - that is all the attachments in the thread. That can provide a quicker way to access the note (no need to scroll up the thread). 

Hi rynetyme,

We are looking at ways to allow you to better manage notes shared via Work Chat without making copies as that defeats the purpose of sharing notes via Work Chat.  What type of information are you sharing and how would you like to manage these shared notes?   Do you want to take ownership of the note because you want to manage and be able to find it easily or do you want to actually take over the responsibility for the note and its contents?

• Level 5*

Seems to me someone would share a note with me for three reasons.  To:  

1. chat and create/ edit something in real time
  2. get my considered comments on the content (not necessarily immediately)
  3. allocate a job to me that I need to manage

In (1),  keeping the note in a chat isn't a major problem - it's unfinished,  there might be further conversations etc etc.  In (2) though I'd want to store the shared content somewhere outside of chat so I can find it again easily, and in (3) I really need to have control of the note so I can get on and manage the job - and maybe chat with others about it.

Could Chat have its own notebook,  like Trash and Conflicting Edits so linked notes automatically go into that notebook,  but become unlinked when moved out?  Maybe??

I agree with Gazump. I believe there are situations that would necessitate that I would need complete control of the document as well as just making edits and keeping it in work chat.

My particular question dealt with being shared a document that I wanted to add to my notebooks. Someone made notes from a meeting that I want to have and be able to label with my tags and notebooks. Thanks! 

Archived