Disable Join EN popup/overlay when sharing public note web link?

I created a public note today and tested the URL, and a popup/overlay appeared right over my note (see attachment).

Is there a way to disable this? I just want to share my note with the world, not invite people to sign up for Evernote.

post-106874-0-85475600-1429553499_thumb.

• Level 5*

How exactly did you access the shared public URL for the note?  By right-clicking the note in Evernote Desktop and using Share?  Something similar in EN Web?  I can't replicate the pop-up - I just get a note in a browser.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
On 21/12/2016 at 11:32 PM, Pablo Escobar said:

@DreDavid

I think it is not possible to disable the popup. Evernote does this to capture more users. I decided to no longer use evernote because every time any user wants to see a shared note, the popup is always displayed and this is not liked by most users.

Thanks for the input,  but AFAIK public note links do not have a pop-up.

• Level 5*
On 4/20/2015 at 2:12 PM, DrewDavid said:

Is there a way to disable this? I just want to share my note with the world, not invite people to sign up for Evernote.

If you just want to share the content, you can just email the note to them.

• Level 5
On 12/21/2016 at 6:32 PM, Pablo Escobar said:

@DreDavid

I think it is not possible to disable the popup. Evernote does this to capture more users. I decided to no longer use evernote because every time any user wants to see a shared note, the popup is always displayed and this is not liked by most users.

In my Personal Settings, there is an option "Include 'Get Evernote' information when I email notes." Perhaps unchecking that would do the job.

On 27/12/2016 at 12:15, gazumped dijo:

Thanks for the input,  but AFAIK public note links do not have a pop-up.

Hi, I think you're wrong, please see the following gif.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

On 27/12/2016 at 15:22, Dave-in-Decatur dijo:

In my Personal Settings, there is an option "Include 'Get Evernote' information when I email notes." Perhaps unchecking that would do the job.

Hi, I have unchecked this option but it is not the same case. Please see the link I shared above.

• Level 5
On 12/27/2016 at 4:22 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

On 12/28/2016 at 10:48 PM, Pablo Escobar said:

Hi, I have unchecked this option but it is not the same case. Please see the link I shared above.

OK, sorry that didn't work. I don't do much note sharing, so I don't have any other suggestions.

On 29/12/2016 at 6:44, gazumped dijo:

Hmmn.  Does this link do the same thing for you?  If so,  I've been assuming too much...

Did you create the link from web or desktop?

I just opened this note published by evernote and the window is also displayed  (close and open your browser [or open as private mode])

On 30/12/2016 at 8:27, Dave-in-Decatur dijo:

OK, sorry that didn't work. I don't do much note sharing, so I don't have any other suggestions.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

• Level 5*
On 2016-12-29 at 4:44 AM, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Does this link do the same thing for you?  If so,  I've been assuming too much...

1 hour ago, Pablo Escobar said:

I just opened this note published by evernote and the window is also displayed  (close and open your browser [or open as private mode])

With both links I see the note.

There is an Evernote banner across the top with a little "Save to Evernote" box

IMG_1502.PNG

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Pablo Escobar said:

The point is not that the note is shown or not, it is referring to a popup window.

I saw your gif - I don't see the popup window, just the banner at the top

hace 6 minutos, DTLow dijo:

I saw your gif - I don't see the popup window, just the banner at the top

Possibly because you are already logged in or have already opened several notes and this works before evernote saves a cookie in your browser. That's why I mentioned that you have to close the browser or open a new window in incognito mode.

• Level 5*

@Pablo Escobar - Interesting - I tried the incognito window and one of those links shows me the Evernote ad,  the other didn't.  I'm guessing because mine was a public note link and the other one wasn't.  Try the 'modify sharing' option to check whether a public link exists for your note.

• Level 5
On 1/2/2017 at 1:44 PM, Pablo Escobar said:

Did you create the link from web or desktop?

Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Aha! I created a private browser window, and the "Quarterly Goals" note to which you linked, @Pablo Escobar, (https://www.evernote.com/shard/s308/sh/da00707a-2b62-4d0a-951c-fe0aed9e8679/dc994b123588eed9) opened with the popup/overlay "Welcome to Evernote" and links to create an account or sign in. There is also a small "Skip" link that dismisses the popup.

But when I did the same with @gazumped's link (http://www.evernote.com/l/AAKXSel_A4BAxrWjuFVyOyN4XzW819VzgUU/), the "World Community Grid" note opened without any popup/overlay.

So I'm inclined to agree:

On 1/2/2017 at 7:06 PM, gazumped said:

@Pablo Escobar - Interesting - I tried the incognito window and one of those links shows me the Evernote ad,  the other didn't.  I'm guessing because mine was a public note link and the other one wasn't.  Try the 'modify sharing' option to check whether a public link exists for your note.

The "public" link seems to work without producing the popup. I know I've sent links to friends that did produce the popup, and others that didn't. Now I know why!

• Level 5*

There's a small trade-off with public links of course..  they're actually 'public' - although AFAIK they are (or were) hidden behind a firewall that makes it difficult for search engines to grab the content and URL.   (There were even complaints some while ago that users with web pages produced from notes couldn't get any visitors to the page because "they were hard to find...")

While anyone with the URL can find the link,  it's very unlikely that someone could ferret it out via a web search.  Even so,  the 'be careful what you post' mantra goes double for public links...

Archived