android app does not show tiffs

Various images, including the ones generated by my oscilloscope, do poorly as JPEGs due to sharp discontinuities in the image, but fine as Tiffs. The mac desktop app deals perfectly with tiffs, but the android app shows only a broken item icon, which I cannot even click on to see the full image.

Does this indicate that there is a problem with my tiffs? Or is this a bug in evernote, or a missing future? If the latter, is there a channel that I can go through to request bug fixes or enhancements? If the former, what can I do to convert a broken tiff to a version that evernote does not choke on without resorting to a less appropriate--and more hassle-causing--format like jpeg?

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Hi.  I don't use Tiffs mainly because they produce spectacularly large files,  which may be part of your problem.  Are you connected to wifi or a mobile network when selecting these icons?  The network itself may not be capable of delivering the file without tripping some limit or other.  There are plenty of desktop apps that will convert Tiff to JPG or PNG,  and that might be your best first option - add a JPG or PNG image to all your TIFF files.

To submit a bug report on this (you won't get any follow-up,  but it does mean that the devs will take a look at your situation and -maybe- fix it in a future release...) choose "report a bug..." in the first dropdown after logging in here> https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action
- if you're a premium or Business user,  you'll also have access to a Chat option (7am-7pm weekdays,  PST)

Hi gazumped, and thanks for the ideas!

For the record, the files in question are around 15kB, and the don't show up on any network.  True, jpeg would try to compress the image, but jpeg is designed for compressing photos of natural environments, and is a poor choice for images with sharp lines, such as text or (in this case) oscilloscope graphs.

The tiffs also don't show up when using the web interface under Linux, at least.  So I think that this is Evernote's oversight.  I just bugged them.

Cheers,

-Ben

Archived