EN Messed up a Note. Time Machine Backup Possible?

I have a note that I recently renamed. After re-naming it, Evernote dropped me back a month ago and lists a few "conflicting modifications". I don't have any of the changes I've made to the note for the last month. I realized it must be because I accidentally re-named it to the same name as a different note I forgot I had made (and was actually different information). Now I have both notes, but I've lost the information for the last month of edits on one of them! I use Time Machine and have everything backed up... is there a way to replace my note from a few days ago before I re-named it and Evernote glitched it up?

Also, if I buy Evernote premium will this prevent this from happening in the future? I'm a bit paranoid now...  :wacko:

Made progress, but hit a roadblock.

So I found the user/library/application support/com.evernote.Evernote folder and did a search inside just that folder and realized I could find the xhtml document for ANY note. The note will show up in the search results as "note.xhtml" (they all are named this). Great! Then I realized I can find any note that I search for except the one I am trying to find! This must be part of the glitch. 

But the progress doesnt stop here.. I was able to use the same method of xhtml note finding inside time machine from a few days earlier, and low and behold, there are results to that search! So it looks like it's finding the note when I search for it in time machine! Now the problem is that I don't know how to get that note and bring it back to the real world. I tried copy, which it let me do, but then on my current desktop it wouldnt let me paste it. There is a big button in the bottom right corner of Time Machine that says "restore", but I don't want to restore anything, I just want to grab this file. Normally I could search for it on the Time Machine drive itself, but all the notes use the same name. :-/

So i clicked on this individual note file and hit restore (after learning you can restore individual files). I would prefer to COPY the file and not risk messing anything up, but whatever. So I restored it, and then did the same search in the folder on my current computer and nothing showed up. What the heck? Now i'm not sure what I restored. 

sadness

new idea: 

use the finder to find the Evernote application support folder in the TM Drive itself (from the era I choose) and copy that to the desktop. Then conduct my search that way. 

Only I don't know how to get to these hidden files in the context of a Finder search of an external drive:

user/library/application support/com.evernote

to unhide them on the Mac I would "go to folder" and type "~/Library/" and then dig from there. I'm not sure how to access the hidden files outside of this context.....

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you upgrade to Premium (even if you downgrade again after a month) you would be able to use Note History to see your note prior to any recent changes.  You might also find useful versions in a Conflicting Changes notebook if you have one,  appended to the bottom of the original note (scroll all the way to the bottom),  the Trash notebook,  if something was deleted,  or if you log into your account via Evernote.com in your browser.

Can't comment on opening notes via TM,  but I'd be cautious about replacing notes outside Evernote - one thing you could do is to copy and paste the current content into a new note - with a different name - as a backup,  and do the same for any iterations of content you might create.

"Conflicting changes" are frequently caused by having Evernote open on two devices - the automatic syncs from one device can overwrite recent changes made on the other,  because those changes seem to be 'earlier' than the time of the last sync.  The server doesn't realise that it's getting syncs from separate devices - it just sees the account.  Best Practice says:  work on one device at a time,  close the app on the idle device,  and sync before and after and frequently during editing a note.

• Level 5*

I have restored individual notes via time machine, similar to your method, by locating a version that is intact, copying the content, and pasting it into a new note (as I recall). Evernote only takes a snapshot of your note every eight hours, and sometimes your work falls between the backup windows, so it is always nice to have your own backup, just in case.

Archived