Lost very important document

I use Evernote on my MacBook Pro and iPad - have been doing so for two years, and I love it.  But I've just had a DISASTER!  In one document I stored ALL my passwords for programs and apps - carefully encoded - and always synced between the two devices.  But somehow, and I really have no idea how, the document is now EMPTY.  The heading Pw is still there, and the Info button shows it was created in November, 2013, and last used on 17 April, 2015, i.e. this morning, but there is nothing in there.

I'm distraught.  I had around 40 user names, passwords and email details stored on the two devices and thought they were very safe - backed up in effect.  I don't know whether Evernote's "web service" means it might be up in a cloud somewhere???

Please, can anyone help?

I use Evernote on my MacBook Pro and iPad - have been doing so for two years, and I love it.  But I've just had a DISASTER!  In one document I stored ALL my passwords for programs and apps - carefully encoded - and always synced between the two devices.  But somehow, and I really have no idea how, the document is now EMPTY.  The heading Pw is still there, and the Info button shows it was created in November, 2013, and last used on 17 April, 2015, i.e. this morning, but there is nothing in there.

I'm distraught.  I had around 40 user names, passwords and email details stored on the two devices and thought they were very safe - backed up in effect.  I don't know whether Evernote's "web service" means it might be up in a cloud somewhere???

Please, can anyone help?

I accidentally overwrote all of the data in one of my notes a few weeks ago, and the change got synced to servers (this happened from my iOS device, and I didn't know how to undo a change on it). So I lost all the data from that note.

But I just found out about the Note History feature that Premium users have. I'd like to use it to recover the data from my note. If I upgrade to Premium now, will the Note History have the old data from about a month ago, even though I was a free user at the time?

Yes. If you upgrade to premium, you will have access to previous note history. Note history is only taken once about every eight hours. But if the good note had been on the EN servers at least that long before you sync'd the accidental change, there should be a good copy in the note history. And you will have access to that, after upgrading.

• Level 5*

@flashfolly:

Sorry to hear about your lost file.  Hopefully you will find it in the EN Note History.

IAC, I highly recommend that you use a dedicated password app like 1Password.

These apps are much more secure and much more user friendly, and also work across platforms.

If you don't know, 1Password can, with one click or shortcut key, save your login and password, apply the same, generate passwords, and more.  Works very well in both Mac OS X and iOS.

I have been using 1Password for years now and it works great.

Good luck.

Archived