BUG: Big Notebook spontaneously moving notes to default notebook

Hi, longtime Evernote user here. I've been using the Snapscan to digitize my analog files (thousands of pages scanned) and was generally very happy with the results.

I have a fresh install of Yosemite (10.10.2), and using the latest Evernote version (6.0.8).

However, something very strange started happening in the past few days.

I had a huge stack of notebooks that I was interested in collapsing into one big mega-notebook.

I did this largely manually, using "Select All" in every notebook in the stack, and moving it to the new mega-notebook. Each notebook moved had somewhere between 5 and 100 notes, there were about 1500 notes in total. After moving, I then proceeded to delete the "smaller" notebook that the notes were originally in.

I started moving the notes the other day and had no problem, or so it seemed.

Then today I logged in and found, much to my surprise, about 900 notes in my default notebook -- while the big new mega-notebook had 0 notes.

I didn't make much of it, and proceeded to move them right back to where they belonged -- and proceeded to continue with the rest of the migration.

Then I realized that, before my very eyes, the notes were "spontaneously" migrating back to the default notebook.

In fact (since I have note counts enabled in the sidebar), I could literally see the notes counting down in my mega-notebook and counting up in the default, disappearing from one and reappearing in the other.

At first, I thought it was a notebook capacity thing, so I tried splitting it into two separate notebooks. No luck, now both of them were "bleeding" notes to the default notebook.

Then (mostly because of this thread) I thought maybe it might have to do with the notebook name (all three notebooks, including the default one, had names starting with an underscore, "_"). But, no such luck, neither changing the names nor creating a fresh notebook without a symbol made any difference.

Finally, it seemed that the notes "stabilized" when I divided them into three separate notebooks under the same stack, each with approx. 500 notes.

All these notes are quite large in individual capacity, as they are all scanned JPGs.

However, my upload capacity is a premium user is just barely scratching the surface (39MB).

I believe there may have been some connection to conflicts between server and local copies of evernote, since the changes seemed to be prompted by syncing -- and a few final notes kept insisting on shuttling back to the default. (But I'm not sure of this) 

I haven't seen anything anywhere else (i.e. via Google) about maximum notebook capacity -- this article mentions various limits, but notebook capacity is not among them.

• Level 5*

Hi.  For all practical purposes there's no maximum number of notes in a notebook.  You can have up to 100,000 notes and 250 notebooks,  but AFAIK all of them can be in one notebook if you wish.

You seem pretty relaxed about the whole issue,  and I don't mean to panic you unecessarily,  but has the maximum number of notes in your account changed?  Your description says that you were repeatedly moving notes between notebooks,  and deleting the original;  which isn't a normal situation - a move automatically deletes one copy and creates another one.  You may have been deleting the original notes.  Do you have any backups?  Are you a Premium user?

Regardless I'd suggest you submit a lost data report by choosing "report a bug..." in the first dropdown after logging in here> https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

- if you're a premium or Business user,  you'll also have access to a Chat option (7am-7pm weekdays,  PST)
  • Level 5*

@shiridh:

I have never experienced nor seen reported any cases where Evernote moves Notes from one Notebook to another without some user interaction.

So, this may be caused by improper syncing, selection of default Notebook, and method of moving Notes.

When performing operations on large numbers of Notes, I would suggest doing it in small blocks, syncing between each operation.

For now, you might try this:

1. Set your Default Notebook to a NB not involved in the moving of Notes.  Maybe something like "Inbox".
  2. For now, to avoid any issues with special characters in Notebook names, rename the involved Notebooks so that no special characters or blanks are used.
    1. For example, rename "My_Notebook" to "MyNotebook" (BTW, this is called "CamelCase")
  3. Do a manual sync in EN Mac
  4. Verify Notebooks and Notes in EN Web client at Evernote.com
    1. If EN Web is NOT the same as EN Mac, then you need to go back to EN Mac and diagnose, and sync again.
  5. After EN Mac and EN Web are the same, try this:
    1. In EN Mac, select all Notes in one of the NBs that you want to move, and move to your MegaNotebook by clicking on the "Move to Notebook" button in the Multi-Note screen that appears in the normal Note content area.
    2. Click in another Note in the Note list to clear the Multi-Note screen, and confirm that all the Notes have been moved as intended.
    3. Manual sync EN Mac
    4. Refresh EN Web and confirm the Notes have been moved to match EN Mac
    5. Repeat Steps 5.1-5.4 until you have moved all Notes.

At this point EN Mac and EN Web should be identical.

You can now rename your Notebooks if you really want to, but you might want to consider leaving them as they are.

Hope this helps, and please let us know how it goes.  Good luck.

• 1 year later...

Hello, 
I am a fairly new Evernote user. I have a premium account. I am experiencing a similar issue for quiet some time. I did nit bother with it at first cause i did not have many notes to worry about but i am worried about about this becoming a bigger problem in the future.

I have these two notebooks in a stack that just automatically transfer their notes to my default notebook. I created a third notebook in that stack and it is doing the same thing. This has also happened a few times with some other notes. Like today i opened Evernote on my PC and two of the three notebooks had moved their notes to the default notebook. The same thing happened yesterday too. Once i even created new notes and copy pasted the content and deleted the old ones thinking that the notes were cursed. 

Please help cause i couldn't really find much online about this issue. It may be a syncing issue. I have this weird feeling that it could be due to the widget on my android phone :lol:

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Tushar Tyagi said:

Hello, 
I am a fairly new Evernote user. I have a premium account. I am experiencing a similar issue for quiet some time. I did nit bother with it at first cause i did not have many notes to worry about but i am worried about about this becoming a bigger problem in the future.

I have these two notebooks in a stack that just automatically transfer their notes to my default notebook. I created a third notebook in that stack and it is doing the same thing. This has also happened a few times with some other notes. Like today i opened Evernote on my PC and two of the three notebooks had moved their notes to the default notebook. The same thing happened yesterday too. Once i even created new notes and copy pasted the content and deleted the old ones thinking that the notes were cursed. 

Please help cause i couldn't really find much online about this issue. It may be a syncing issue. I have this weird feeling that it could be due to the widget on my android phone :lol:

Hi.  How exactly do your two notebooks 'automatically' transfer their notes to the default?  I wasn't aware that was an Evernote feature...

18 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  How exactly do your two notebooks 'automatically' transfer their notes to the default?  I wasn't aware that was an Evernote feature...

That is the problem. I dont want it to happen but notes from two of my notebooks frequently just move to my default notebook. There is no intervention on my part. Sometimes this happens, sometimes it is all fine and i cant seem to find anyone else with similar problem. Maybe i am just missing something . 

• Level 5*

Hi again.  It certainly isn't expected behaviour to move notes around,  and so far you're only the second person I've seen with that issue.  I'd certainly suggest you contact support directly if you can,  or message them on Twitter and point them to this discussion for background.  It may be that if you've used one or more Evernote add-ins,  or if someone else has access to the account,  the moves are intentional.  You could revoke access to your account to all devices or services that you don't specifically recognise to see if that removes the problem.  Take a screen shot of the list of approved accesses first so you can re-authorise any that you need to add back in future.

How to revoke access to your Evernote account

Hi all,

If anyone is experiencing this issue, please submit a support ticket per @gazumped's post above. If you're account is a Basic account and you are unable to submit a ticket, feel free to send me a direct message here! Thanks!

• 2 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 7:39 PM, BSR said:

Hi all,

If anyone is experiencing this issue, please submit a support ticket per @gazumped's post above. If you're account is a Basic account and you are unable to submit a ticket, feel free to send me a direct message here! Thanks!

Hello, i have exactly the same bug. Some notes are automatically moved to my "default" notebook without any user action.

I lost a lot of time to search my notes and then finally discover that they've been moved.

But for the moment, seems a random behaviour, difficult to reproduce.

One thing i can add is that i'm using also the evernote widget for Android, like Tushar Tyagi  mentioned above.

If you can help to solve this, it will be much appreciated.

Tell me if i can help in any way.

Seb

• 1 month later...

This morning I found that EN had moved over 200 notes to another of my notebooks (not my default notebook) and the Create Dates and the Update Dates had been changed to yesterday at 18:28 or 18:29 (it appears to have taken more than one minute).  I am pretty sure that at that time both my wife and I were not at our computers (Desktops running WIndows 7).  I have the latest public EN (6.5.4.4720 (304720)) and I am a Premium member.  I have raised a support ticket with EN and looked through the posts on the Forum.  This one is the nearest I could find to my problem though it is not the same.  I certainly did not command the change of notebooks and in anycase, if I had, surely the Create Date would not have changed.

I await a response from EN - must give them a chance it was only just over an hour ago - but I wondered if anyone else has had this problem and I have missed finding it in the Forum.

I have been looking into this further and, having selected on created:day-1, I have found that notes have not been moved they have been copied.  Also, the notes which have been copied (there are 229 of them) are all in a Notebook called "P****" and all 229 notes in that notebook have been copied (i.e. duplicated) into a Notebook called "R******" hence the Create Date and Update Dates being the same.

I have passed this on to Support. 

Hope to hear from them before too long as I'll try not to use EN until then.

• Level 5*

I'll save a search to check whether I have any unknown batches of notes 'created' in the recent few days.  Because I tend to set the created date of some notes in the future to keep them at the top of my list (sorted in that order) my search is going to have to be "created:day-1 -created:day:+1" to get a true count.  Nothing showed up so far...

Give Support a little while - as long as you have a ticket number (which it might be worthwhile to post here*) you have a place in the queue,  and a real human will get in touch as soon as possible.  It normally takes a few days...

* Developers and other staffers read the forums,  but can't find your reported details without the ticket reference.  Support doesn't (AFAIK) read here - they're already busy enough - but another employee can reach out to them with that reference.

Thank you gazumped for the tip.  My support number is: Ticket# 2092408.  The good news as far as I can see is that because it seems like the 229 notes were just copied into another of my notebooks it will be easy just to delete them and they are easily recognised by the Creat and Udpate time and, as it happens, the subject.  However if I can I would like to leave them for the time being so that Support can see for theirselves.

I'm about to leave the computer this evening - I wonder if the the elves will play again tonight!

Hi Guys,

Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing bizarre syncing issues. 

There are several notes in a single folder that regularly and seemingly randomly move to the default notebook. All show as being updated around the same time they mysteriously jump folders. I rarely if ever edit these notes because they are all lists of checkboxes that don't change. It last happened today at 11:42.

Any ideas or suggestions?

• Level 5*
On 14/05/2017 at 4:41 AM, cghollins said:

Hi Guys,

Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing bizarre syncing issues. 

There are several notes in a single folder that regularly and seemingly randomly move to the default notebook. All show as being updated around the same time they mysteriously jump folders. I rarely if ever edit these notes because they are all lists of checkboxes that don't change. It last happened today at 11:42.

Any ideas or suggestions?

See previous comments...

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have been experiencing this issue for some time and I have noticed that all my affected notes contain at lease one checkbox.  I realized it since I am also a TaskClone user and I use the checkbox a lot for that.  I started to see notes that had been updated and I knew I had not looked at them for months.  When it happens, I usually see a batch of 5-8 notes that have the same update timestamp and all have simply been moved to the default notebook.  Unfortunately, this has made me stop using both checkbox and TaskClone.  I chatted with Evernote support 3 days ago and was told I might be contacted by someone in the technical area.  So far, I have not heard from anyone.

If this is an issue that will take some time to resolve, Evernote should at least do a notification to users.

Archived