Can't export PDF from Penultimate

stephenr

I'm using Penultimate on the iPad. I have notes in Penultimate that I'd like to export as PDF, but I can't. The pop-up says "Exporting PDF" then disappears, then... nothing. I signed up for premium to ensure it would sync to Evernote, which it has now, but I still can't export as PDF from Penultimate (waste of money there then). None of my notes will export from Penultimate, even small notes. I have previously exported them to Dropbox without issue. I managed to print to PDF from Evernote on my laptop browser. The file looks ugly as sin and the extra step is inconvenient. Has anyone seem this before or know how to fix? Thanks.

I'm using Penultimate on the iPad. I have notes in Penultimate that I'd like to export as PDF, but I can't. The pop-up says "Exporting PDF" then disappears, then... nothing. I signed up for premium to ensure it would sync to Evernote, which it has now, but I still can't export as PDF from Penultimate (waste of money there then). None of my notes will export from Penultimate, even small notes. I have previously exported them to Dropbox without issue. I managed to print to PDF from Evernote on my laptop browser. The file looks ugly as sin and the extra step is inconvenient. Has anyone seem this before or know how to fix? Thanks.

I just tried this in v6.0.4 on my iPad Air and iPad mini 1, and it worked as it should: long press on the note, select the "Share" icon, select "Export PDF", then "Open in Dropbox", or many other options.

Have you tried closing all other open apps, rebooting your iPad, or reinstalling Penultimate?

Being a Premium user, if the above doesn't help, you may want to sign in to Evernote and open a support ticket.

I tried this just now (delete Penultimate, reboot, reinstall Penultimate, sync notes from Evernote). Still doesn't work for my 12-page note, but works now (again) for a smaller note, so I guess it's a file size issue. Will open a support ticket with Evernote. Thanks for your help.

People are recommending Noteshelf as an alternative, so I might check that out!

Sure enough. I just tried with my largest note (148 pages) and I'm seeing the same as you. So I copied 12 pages from it into a new note; still no joy. Then I started deleting a page, retry, repeat until it was successful and ended up at 5 pages. Looks like you found a bug.

Sure enough. I just tried with my largest note (148 pages) and I'm seeing the same as you. So I copied 12 pages from it into a new note; still no joy. Then I started deleting a page, retry, repeat until it was successful and ended up at 5 pages. Looks like you found a bug.

Yep, I've just come across this bug myself.  Can't create a PDF with my 11 page notebook, but I can with a 1 pager.  I'm willing to take your word that five is the magic number. 

I've stuck with Penultimate through a lot of crappy changes, but this one is a deal breaker.  If the documents are stuck on my iPad they are of no use to me.  And really, how could they not test this feature on a larger notebook?  It says a lot about their process that they (apparently) didn't.

:angry:

Hi rmillstein,

I could only get my notes out by subscribing to Evernote Premium for one month and then printing them from Evernote to PDF from Firefox using Acrobat. Yuck.

I bought Noteshelf this week. It's friggin' amazing! I hate to exaggerate, but it must be 10 times better than Penultimate, or maybe 11. Syncs with Evernote. Can export PDF, including select pages, can export to Dropbox etc. Handwriting response is unreal. Has a nice manually moveable palm rejection line, which also moves automatically when writing normally. Make the leap.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...

Have sent a ticket to Evernote - person on Livelink seemed to think that this is a new issue!

Also, have just tried Noteshelf, but there doesn't seem to be an auto scroll left to right when you are writing.  Penultimate, for all of it's many faults is good at that.  For me, it renders Noteshelf unusable.  If there is a way, then I'm happy to give it another go.

• 5 months later...

Archived