Create TOC note links in any arbitrary order: a workaround

I've just done some tinkering, because I thought it was kind of a PITA that one could not create a TOC note with the note links listed in the order that multiple notes are selected (Ctrl+Click...) via the TOC creation feature. Neither is there any apparent way to sort notes manually in arbitrary order to this end. This means that if one used Evernote's TOC creation utility, you may still have to reshuffle by cutting and pasting the note links into the order you desire.

One could, of course, prefix note titles and sort by Title in the note list... but apart from that, here's a little workaround, which is much quicker than cutting and pasting note links into order:

1. Tag your notes with numbered tags (1,2,3...) in the order you'd like them to appear in a TOC note and/ or presentation mode
    • One can tuck these numerical tags away in their own nested hierarchy in the tag list.
    • Remember that these notes are only tagged as such temporarily... so these tags can then be made available for individual/ unique workflows thereafter
    • One can drag individual notes to the tag list in the left panel or add the tag in the note header.

2. Create a saved search to filter for all (any) of the numbered tags included... and invoke that saved search
    • Select all the numbered tags in the left panel and include "Any:" at the end of the string in the search bar
    • This exact same saved search can be invoked thereafter, no matter whether one actually has 2 notes tagged or 20

3. In the Note List, sort by tag in ascending order (uncheck "reverse sort order" on Windows desktop)
    • On Mac one needs to sort by tag in the top list view.

4. Select all notes in this context and create your TOC

One can use this context in presentation mode... or make use of the TOC created while in presentation mode.

To un-tag all notes with these number tags, simply filter with the same saved search and x-out the tags in the note titles in quick succession, one by one, as they each disappear from the context, making way for the number tags to be used in other such use cases.

*For subsequent iterations, simply: Tag your target notes with the number tags accordingly, invoke the saved search created, sort the list in ascending order by "tags"... and create your TOC. 

• Level 5*

That's a good cross-platform (cross-desktop,  anyway) means to an end,  but in my Windows desktop version it's as easy to search for notes in the order I need them - sorting by name / dates / tags etc etc,  then Select All in the search results and Right-click / Ctrl-select (or not) Copy Note Link(s).  Paste that result into a new note,  and there's my TOC.  Just sayin'.

I'm on Windows desktop too   :P

Only thing is one might want their TOC note links in an order other than the note list sorted by Title, Tag etc.

There is currently no way to sort the note list arbitrarily (Reminders List doesn't help here)... unless one prefixes note titles or, as in the workaround described above, one (a) tags with alpha/ numerical tags, (B) employs a saved search including the "any:" operator (or re-creates the search syntax manually every time) and then © sorts by tag in ascending order... 

Only then can one automate the creation of a TOC note list in any arbitrary order one wishes, without having to cut and paste to reshuffle any given set of notes generated from a selection within a filtered note list previously not created from the outset with an ordered TOC list in mind. 

This workaround allows one to reorder the note list (within the filtered saved search context) in absolutely any arbitrary order (which no sort option under the sun could afford one, save for a manual sort option) prior to creating a TOC. This might have its advantages in presentation mode among the other workarounds - but the main focus here is the creation of a TOC note with the note links in a specific order, not provided for in the sorting options menu. 

The beauty of the saved search outlined in the OP, including the "any:" operator, is that one can include as many tags as one wishes in the saved search, even if there are only a fraction of the notes tagged as such. In other words, if the saved search is sufficiently encompassing, it will filter for as many (or as few) numerical tags one is using in a specific use case or iteration thereof. The saved search needn't be modified and can be used at the drop of a hat in any subsequent creation of a TOC note or any use case where a temporary, arbitrary note order is desired. 

• Level 5*

@Frank:

That's great thinking out-of-the-box, but it's all too much work for me.   ;)

I see no reason why Evernote does not support setting the order by the order in which the Notes were selected (CTRL-Click or CMD-Click).  Pretty much every other app I have used does this.

This is also an issue with the order of merged Notes.

Seems like both of these features use, or could use, a common selection method.

Evernote Design Team:  Please consider this an enhancement request.

@Frank:

That's great thinking out-of-the-box, but it's all too much work for me.   ;)

Totally... but, incredibly it is actually quicker than rearranging a TOC list of note links. I took the above method for 3 spins... and it's super quick. Granted, it's only for those who are already comfortable with tinkering in Evernote. It all depends on how badly one needs the TOC note links in an arbitrary order. Believe it or not, it's just as quick as individually prefixing the note titles of all notes involved (which I don't care for)... so until there's a quicker way, the above method is seriously one that I am using at the moment... not just for kicks. 

I hear what you're saying about merging notes too... which, BTW, is another reason for some to find a workaround. I just quit merging notes for a number of reasons.

• Level 5*

Totally... but, incredibly it is actually quicker than rearranging a TOC list of note links.

Perhaps EN Win is different.  I have no problem in EN Mac 6.0.6 in rearranging the auto TOC list.

I can drag/drop or cut/paste.  Sometimes I do have to press the ENTER key to create a new line.

Totally... but, incredibly it is actually quicker than rearranging a TOC list of note links.

Perhaps EN Win is different.  I have no problem in EN Mac 6.0.6 in rearranging the auto TOC list.

I can drag/drop or cut/paste.  Sometimes I do have to press the ENTER key to create a new line.

Shucks... you're absolutely right. I had given up on the simple cut-and-paste method because of some formatting bugs in the last pre-release... which  now seem to have been solved. 

It's not that I liked it...  They should have a sympathize button

like.png?dl=1

It seems like the latest public release squashed a few bugs... check for an update, Cal

• Level 5*

Drag and drop still doesn't work.  Screen shot after dragging 2 in front of 5.  Notice nothing on 5 and a line with no number below it.  Hit enter at the end of a line and you get a blank line not a numbered line.  It's been this way since dirt was brown.  I'm used to moving things around and then doing clean up.   :rolleyes:

post-58142-0-99219400-1429030098_thumb.p

• Level 5*

Yup, now running 5.8.5.7193 Public.  The above screen shot is from that release.  Created a quick TOC, dragged one line and boom.  You hold your mouth in a particular way when you edit the TOC?

It might be that Daredevil is helping me out here:

TOC%20order.gif?dl=1

EDIT: Never mind that I could have sorted by Title before creating the TOC... This is for illustrative purposes only  :P

BTW, I've just figured out a super fast(er) way to get one's  notes in the right order prior to TOC creation (Windows workaround):

1. Select a note in the note list (snippet view) and hit Tab 4 times
    • This moves you into the note body and creates an indent 
    • (Note list > Search bar > Note title > Note body > Indent)
  2. Repeat with the following notes you want in your TOC...
  3. Reverse sort order (Date Updated)
  4. Select your notes and create a TOC

* What we're basically doing is editing a note with a tab space so that it sorts to the top/ bottom of a list when sorting by Date Updated.

** If one doesn't want the tab space in the note, one can hit delete or Ctrl+Z and the note will still register as updated.

*** This might very well be faster than the Mac workaround of creating a reminder for each note, reordering the reminder list, selecting multiple notes and creating one's TOC (and then clearing the reminders)

• Level 5*

Just figured it out. Drag and drop, now the format is messed up, click on another note, click back on the TOC note,  and it has fixed itself.  Weird on a good day.

Optional, and this is fun, create the TOC, highlight the entire list, turn numbering off, turn numbering back on.  Now all the drag and drops and adding lines work without any formatting issues.  This is eminently repeatable QA.

I'm going with option 2 until further notice.   :)

Just figured it out. Drag and drop, now the format is messed up, click on another note, click back on the TOC note,  and it has fixed itself.  Weird on a good day.

Optional, and this is fun, create the TOC, highlight the entire list, turn numbering off, turn numbering back on.  Now all the drag and drops and adding lines work without any formatting issues.  This is eminently repeatable QA.

I'm going with option 2 until further notice.   :)

Tinkering will get you far in life  :P

BTW, there were a host of hiccups with the text editing in the previous pre-release... and to my knowledge, all of the bugs that we mentioned on the Windows Beta thread were fixed... except for one that was overlooked: I can't seem to Redo now (Ctrl+Shift+Z) after undoing (Ctrl+Z)

Archived