(.\Bootstrapper.cpp:915) 0x643:Fatal error during installation

During installation of Evernote 5.8.5.7193, the installation halts because it can't locate the 'Evernote .msi' package. I have searched all through the C: drive temp folders and cannot locate this package. Naturally, the installation can progress no further.

Please help

Thanks for your response.

I have used Uninstaller software and thoroughly removed all traces of evernote from my system, prior to downloading and attempting to install evernote. Unfortunately, with the same result.

• 7 months later...
  • Level 5*
It's an issue with Windows 10.  Installing and re-installing is a waste of time.  Evernote will have to find the bug and fix it.

- Always easier if users submit support requests and go through the steps that the techs suggest - before Evernote can fix something,  they first have to find it...

• 3 months later...

I managed to fix this problem with following steps:

1. Check what's the version installed on your computer
  2. Google "evernote 5.x.x install", where 5.x.x is the version number found in step 1
  3. If you are lucky there's a search result with a link to download the installation file for same (or close enough) version as you have. For me it was http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/public/Evernote_5.8.8.7837.exe. You can also try to alter the link I found to find the version you need.
  4. Then install the version from your link.
  5. Assuming installation was successful, install Evernote update. Should work.

I'm not quite sure this worked but I assume the problem was a missing Evernote.msi file for installed version. And by reinstalling the same version you get the missing Evernote.msi. Hope this works and helps someone else too.

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2016 at 6:12 AM, FireManTTSOM said:

Thanks Makker...I finally got it to work, just kept trying things.  I suspect it is some Evernote and mostly junk windows 10.

yes, i do think so. either evernote or windows 10... 

could someone help here?

i did all the suggestion above, include revo uninstaller. but the problem persist.. 

• Ex Employees
On 5/13/2016 at 2:19 AM, neilhoja said:

yes, i do think so. either evernote or windows 10... 

could someone help here?

i did all the suggestion above, include revo uninstaller. but the problem persist.. 

Please submit a support ticket using the link in my signature, and we'll be happy to look into this. It would be helpful if you could submit your support request with the 'EvernoteSetup' file. 

To provide a setup log for Evernote for Window, follow these steps:

1. Open the Start menu (Windows 8: Open the ‘Run’ application)
2. Type %temp% in the ’Search programs and files’ field and press enter
3. Search for a text document file named 'EvernoteSetup' and attach it to your support request. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2016 at 8:12 AM, Austin G said:

Please submit a support ticket using the link in my signature, and we'll be happy to look into this. It would be helpful if you could submit your support request with the 'EvernoteSetup' file. 

To provide a setup log for Evernote for Window, follow these steps:

1. Open the Start menu (Windows 8: Open the ‘Run’ application)
2. Type %temp% in the ’Search programs and files’ field and press enter
3. Search for a text document file named 'EvernoteSetup' and attach it to your support request. 

sorry where is the link to submit a support ticket?

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, lsulliva said:

sorry where is the link to submit a support ticket?

In Austin's signature, the block of text/links just below the "LIKE THIS" link.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

• 7 months later...

Well I read a lot of comments regarding the bootstrap error upon trying to install the latest version of Evernote.

I had a terrible time getting meaningful support. I got responses from what seems to be "volunteer" helpers none could solve my problem just wasted my time .

The uninstall and install suggestion did not work.

The other "helper " gave me links to the various comments that people have put up.

When will Evernote take real responsibility an have REAL support from people that have helped build the product and not some self styled experts.

I am sick of wasting time trying to use the updates that each time cause me to waste time. I am done with updates I will use the existing version until it drops and switch to some other system when it becomes available.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Sorry if the volunteer helpers didn't manage to sort out your issue,  but sometimes it does take several attempts to find the correct fix.  Obviously you're free to do as you will with -or without- updates.  I do suggest you find a way to take your email address off your post,  or just delete it - this is a public forum and spammers may harvest your email address to add to their mailing lists if you leave it here...

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I've been trying to download Evernote free version on my computer, I keep getting this message, (.Bootstrapper.cpp:956)0x643:Fatal error during installation” I'm using Windows 10, 64 bite

I have the app on my Samsung Galaxy Phone and want to put the program on my computer as well so I can sync them both. Can anyone help me with this. 

• Level 5*

The Bootstrapper error seems to be down to a bad install or update,  which has left some remnant of the original software preventing any further constructve activity.

If a previous version of Evernote was installed on the device,  it can be helpful to try to reinstall that older version,  then uninstall it fully,  and only then try to download and install a new copy of the software.  Older versions of the Windows app can be found here -

Remember to match the version you install with whatever copy was installed on the system - check error messages,  or run a search for 'evernote' on your hard drive to see what version numbers you can find.

Power the system off and on,  reinstall the older version,  restart again,  and uninstall via control panel.  If the uninstall is successful,  restart the system again and try downloading and installing the latest version.

If for any reason that doesn't do the trick,  you may be stuck with a more persistent error which requires a tougher approach.  Reinstall the older version of Evernote if you can,  and use Revo Uninstaller Free to nuke the software independently. 

Windows' Control Panel uninstalls often leave stray bits of code lying around in the Windows registry,  and Revo will conduct a thorough search to totally remove any such traces from your system.  In this case you need to make sure you have a backup of your Evernote database handy,  just in case that also is removed.  -The server will rebuild your database over the internet if necessary,  but that takes some while and does not include local notebooks so take some precautions against possible loss.

Once Revo has completely cleaned your system,  again power cycle the computer and try a further install.

One more thing you can try if there are still issues - Glary Utilities is a 'system cleaner' that will remove unnecessary and corrupted files from your computer.  Most computer experts have very strong views about the value of such cleaners - some think they provide a valuable service, others think they're a waste of time.  I happen to like this particular software and it does seem to help with some system problems.  Download it entirely at your own risk (and read the download screens very carefully so you don't join any feedback schemes or install additional software other than the basic utility package) and then use (or don't) the 'one click' cleanup option to analyse your system.  It may take a few minutes but at the least you'll get rid of some unnecessary files and save disk space,  and if it finds a problem you can do something about it.

If you STILL have issues after all that,  there are Windows Registry Keys that Revo or Glary may not have found which you can search for and delete - but that's not something you want to do unless you're reasonably tech-savvy.  Those fixes have already been posted in the forums anyway.

I hope the above may be of some assistance.  Be warned that none of it is approved or endorsed by Evernote,  but I have used these fixes on my own systems.  Good luck if you do decide to go ahead - let us know how you get on!

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Running Windows 8.1; installed EverNote for the first time today. Bootstrap errors on older version 5.5 and newer version 6.1 whatever. Tried a variety of these options including running MS FixIt (could not locate EverNote), MS Uninstall and Install (fixed other things, but did not see EverNote issues), edited the registry for Evernote MSI, and nothing works. Wasted a Saturday afternoon on this application just to open some old OneNote files. Thinking this is not worth it, don't have all day to mess around with the computer.

• 7 months later...

Archived