New Photos App w/Evernote

Just discovered that once you've installed the new Photos Application, you can no longer drag and drop photos saved via iPhoto or Photos directly into a note in Evernote.

I attempted to drag two photos from the app into a previously created note, but there's no addition.

I can use the share button to add them to Evernote, they'll just have to be in a new note.

Yes I have same problem just started using evernote..loved it for ease of use cataloguing sewing patterns, just drag and drop from iPhotos.. then my iPhotos upgrades to photo 1.0 and now no drag and drop!!! I just paid to upgrade to evernote premium and planned on spending the next week doing this job and now no can do.... 

• Level 5*

Yes I have same problem just started using evernote..loved it for ease of use cataloguing sewing patterns, just drag and drop from iPhotos.. then my iPhotos upgrades to photo 1.0 and now no drag and drop!!! I just paid to upgrade to evernote premium and planned on spending the next week doing this job and now no can do.... 

Can you use the Share option to add them to Evernote? - This is an Apple problem rather than an Evernote issue - something was presumably changed in the app's functionality which no longer allows the transfer.  Evernote will no doubt liaise with Apple to fix it,  but it will take a little time...

• Level 5*

No personal knowledge here,  but I did see...

"Mac OS X Automation put together a few handy scripts to get more out of the software."

Their Automator actions include a way to immediately grab everything from the last import, grab your favourites, add to specific albums, import files, export media items, show map location, play slideshow, and more. If you’ve been looking for a little more out of Automator, these actions will help.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As a longtime Evernote user, I'm annoyed that I can no longer drag a photo directly from my Mac's Photos app into either the Evernote widget at the top of the screen or into the Evernote icon in the dock at bottom. That said, I am slightly relieved to see that I'm not the only one for whom this is an issue. Having just "upgraded" from a 2008 macbook to an iMac desktop, I'm enjoying the benefits of running iOS Yosemite, including the newer Photos app. I'm stunned that I know must drag or export photos out of the app first, then drag or import them into Evernote. This seems like a fairly major step backwards.

I see the is a note from an Evernote rep in this thread referring to "cut and paste" working. This is hardly the same and is not a suitable replacement for the obvious convenience of directly dragging and dropping. As part of my job, I take dozens (occasionally over 100) of photos per day, all of which need to be cropped and color adjusted in Photos before transferring to Evernote, so exporting directly from the camera app to Evernote is not a solution.  I concede my user case may not be in the majority of use cases, but in my sector, Evernote is a very commonly used app by people who need to use a laptop/desktop photos app prior to importing into Evernote. My workflow has changed significantly now that extra steps are required to do the same thing as previous. PLEASE; fix, restore, create, invent a solution that once again allows for this essential function.

• Level 5*

I see the is a note from an Evernote rep in this thread referring to "cut and paste" working. This is hardly the same and is not a suitable replacement for the obvious convenience of directly dragging and dropping. 

I'm pretty sure @Marcus understands that.  He acknowledged the bug, created an official internal bug report, and just provided you with a workaround until the fix is mad.  Just about the best response you could hope for.   ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So here is a workaround solution; In Photos, select all pictures that you want to get into evernote. Right-click and choose "share". In the dropdown menu choose evernote. If evernote is not listed, go to "more" and add it.

When pictures are shared this way they all go into a single note note in evernote. In evernote after sharing, you might have to search the note by name, so be sure to name it something easy to remember when sharing.

How I work this is to detach the note with all the shared pictures in a separate window and drag and drop from there into the notes i need them in.

• 5 months later...

Hi Tholoh,

I tried your workaround. After I tried to share a video that's too big, I was informed as such. Then I tried to share a smaller video. After I clicked on (to share on) "evernote", there was no indication that it happened. So I checked on evernote (mac app), but it's not there. WHen i went back to my photos app to click on the same shared video, the option of share was grayed out. Is that a sign that the photos app was working on this share?

I waited a bit and checked again. THe share option was no longer grayed out, but nothing still hasn't been added to my evernote. 

You also said one should name the note shared for an easy search, but i didn't see any option to name the note while I tried to share the photo. I simply did a search of "notes created today", and it came up with the text note that I'd made today, just not the shared video. 

Hopefully you have some answers. THanks so much!

• 8 months later...

It appears that it is STILL not possible to drag and drop directly from the Photos app to an Evernote note. A simple workaround is to simply drag the photo(s) first to a folder or the desktop, and then drag the photo(s) from the folder / desktop to the Evernote note. 

• 1 year later...

As far as I can tell this feature is still unavailable. It is interesting to note that in the photos app when I use the "share" button I am able to share to Onenote but not Evernote. This tells me this is possible but Evernote has not fixed the issue yet. Only workaround is to drag them to the desktop and then drag them to your note in Evernote. Once done delete the files you dragged to the desktop. Seems like a lot of work. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2015 at 4:25 AM, C. Wollenhaupt said:

You have to first drag the photo onto the Desktop and then drag from the Desktop into Evernote... 

Or on the Mac you might have to use "Save as" if you're having trouble dragging to the desktop.

• Ex Employees

Just tested with Photos 3.0 on High Sierra. I'm unable to drag and drop a photo into the editor. This likely has to do with the way the editor is implemented. Not sure there's an easy fix here.

But, I am able to use the Share button in the top nav bar. If Evernote isn't listed, click on More. You should be able to enable it in the Extensions window that opens. This allows you to send the photo to Evernote, which creates a new note with the picture. Don't think there's any way to send it to an existing note, though.

Archived