Feature Request: Horizontal Scrollbars in Viewing Pane

As a recent user, I've found one glaring omission in Evernote's interface that stymies me.  Whether in the desktop client or on the web site, there are no horizontal scrollbars in the viewing pane for content that is too large to fit (this mostly affects web clips, as plain text and PDF documents seem to generally get resized to fit within the viewing pane).

Simple web clips, if they are mostly text or contain only small graphics, are generally also resized to fit within the viewing pane, but most web clips have lots of (or large) graphics that make them non-resizable -- and there is absolutely no convenient way to be able to read them in Evernote. The keyboard left/right arrow keys and Home/End keys will work but only if you manage to find the longest line currently visible and place the cursor on it.  It's a continual chore of hunt and peck trying to get through an entire web page.

I just can't believe that Evernote's interface lacks this most basic of functions.  When is Evernote going to add horizontal scrollbars to the viewing pane, a feature of almost every computer application ever made for viewing text and graphical content?

Please don't recommend that I use Clearly to capture all my web content.  I'm fully aware of, and have installed, it -- which is perfectly fine for capturing web content that is purely of interest for its textual content, but I most often want to save web pages in their entirety because the included graphics, sidebars and other ephemera are of as much importance to me as the text on a particular page.

I searched through previous posts and found this topic had come up once or twice in the past -- but the most recent activity in the posts I found was more than a year old and did not seem to result in any action on the part of Evernote's developers.

:)

On Desktop you can:

• Enter "List View" (Toggle F5 on Windows). This expands the note panel by at least 2 thirds.
  • Hide your Left Panel and/ or Note List (F10 & F11 on Windows Desktop) to expand the Note Panel
  • Double click on the note in the Note List to open a note in it's own window

On the Web client:

• Web Beta: Click on the "Expand" icon in the top right of any note
  • Old Version: Click on "Tools" in the note toolbar > "Open this note in a new window"

EDIT: As far as I can see:

• The Windows Desktop client has a horizontal scrollbar in the note panel... plus one can scroll horizontally using the mouse pad on laptop
  • There is a horizontal scrollbar in the note panel on the Web beta  and Old Web client before a note is re-sized (which is then no longer needed)

Frank.dg:

Thanks for the tips; I will certainly try them out. 

On the other hand, they don't address the basic fact that adding horizontal scrollbars would be a far more logical (and, to the user, far easier) solution.

Regards.

EDIT: As far as I can see:

• The Windows Desktop client has a horizontal scrollbar in the note panel... plus one can scroll horizontally using the mouse pad on laptop
  • There is a horizontal scrollbar in the note panel on the Web beta  and Old Web client before a note is re-sized (which is then no longer needed)

Once you expand your note panel via any of the methods mentioned in my first response, you may find it preferable to a horizontal scrollbar, which I do in fact see on both Web and Windows Desktop. Are you on Mac or Windows? Have you updated to the latest version?

Once you expand your note panel via any of the methods mentioned in my first response, you may find it preferable to a horizontal scrollbar, which I do in fact see on both Web and Windows Desktop. Are you on Mac or Windows? Have you updated to the latest version?

My God, Frank.dg, you're right!  But, in my Windows desktop client (yes, the latest version), it's absolutely invisible! ...

post-254754-0-99189000-1428774903_thumb.

Not only is it completely colourless (note the vertical scrollbar on the right is a noticeable scrollbar, grey in colour, and with a scrollbar anchor (or whatever it's called, circled in blue), but the horizontal scrollbar has no movable anchor block in it like the vertical scrollbar does.  It also does not respond to my mouse unless I click on the far right side of it (which I never thought to do).  Clicking in the middle does nothing (if I'd ever known it was there, I would have known it's possible to "click and drag," starting on the left side of it, too).

Evernote really must fix this.  I've been using the program for over a month and never realized that there was a scrollbar in the blank, white space at the bottom of the note panel (and, probably, never would have).

But, for all the hue and cry, my initial post seems now to be moot, so...  Never mind! :)

And thanks again.

I'm not clued up about sending big reports or if that can even help individuals... But you might want to submit one for the greater good.

In my experience, a lot of the bugs get ironed out in subsequent releases, which are pretty frequent for Windows desktop. Another thing you might want to do is update to the latest pre-release, which you can find in one of the toolbar options at the top of your interface. That might deal with the invisible horizontal scrollbar. Maybe... I always automatically update to the prereleases because they have the latest tweaks and features.

I'm not clued up about sending big reports or if that can even help individuals... But you might want to submit one for the greater good.

Big or small, it probably doesn't make any difference. (That's OK, I realize you meant to type "bug," not "big." :lol:)

I'll take your suggestion about installing pre-release versions under advisement.

Many thanks.

Archived