Feature request: Table functions in iOS

OLK

Idea

53 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, hawkstr said:

Lots of people have been asking for Tables in Evernote. What you can do now is completely useless.

The Evernote Windows/Mac platforms are full feature products; including support for Tables.
The other platforms have always been supplemental.  Table support in IOS is weak

To indicate your support for this request, please use the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion.

>>If any of you know about a better program, please post it.

I use Word/Pages, with the document stored as a note attachment.
Evernote works well with Office/iWorks documents.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, hawkstr said:

Doesn't look like Evernote developers care much about customer requests. Lots of people have been asking for Tables in Evernote. What you can do now is completely useless. You can only get a narrow line on your iPhone which is not usable. 

I know its time to switch my account to another app if Evernote do not fix this problem fast enough. How dumb can your developers be that they can not find a solution for it. You don't have to invent anything new here. Don't start a company and expect your users to figure of ways to fix technical issues on their own within a forum. It your developers can't find a solution, hire people that can solve this issue or just go away. Otherwise, your company will disappear as soon as a better app shows up in the market. I know I will switch as soon as I can find one or may be just start up my own company.

If any of you know about a better program, please post it. I am tired of companies taking your money and not providing the most basics of services. Most engineers now a days don't want to be bothered by customer request or any problem solving. Its nice to stare at the computer for few hours a day and collect paycheck at the end of the month.

Not the prettiest thing in the world, but you can add a table using IOS EN.  Go to Advanced Editing in Settings to enable.  Any editing or changing of significance does have to happen on a desktop.

BFCBBF03-3192-4A4B-8950-168EC7DD93B8.thumb.jpg.8e00fcaf28fc7cee5731846e1167b02c.jpg

• Thanks 1

+1

I use tables a lot and even if I need to add a row or any other simple edit I have to go to the Mac to do it. Since my iPad is always at hand this is tedious at best and definitely annoying.

• Like 2

if you can sync across all platforms and work on all devices in Evernote, than Evernote on each platform should have the same functionality.  Not being able to create tables in Evernote on my iPad is really annoying. Thank you

• Like 1

+1 For as long as Evernote has been a product, it is still woefully lacking in basic note editing features:

• Table creation, editing and formatting are a pain on the desktop client and are impossible on mobile devices.
  • Easy to use styles and "saved formatting" would be huge.
  • Drag-and-drop content placement would enable a fluid more natural note-taking canvas.
  • Enabling active and dynamic mixing of content:  text, annotation, sketches, tables and photos.  (Today, if you want to annotate, you have to "switch modes" and you lose the ability to edit the text or replace the other content.)
  • The UI is still very cumbersome as compared to apps like OneNote and Notability.

Tables are an essential.  Failure to get this right and not really making much progress on the above, causes me to think it is time to look at switching to another note taking app.

• Like 4

@cmlccie I agree with most of your points. Tables are important and should be better implemented. They look as an old fashion HTML table, while it should be something closer to a spreadsheet or something like that. Styles would also be useful, but we must not forget that the purpose of this app is not to be a word processor replacement.

• Like 1

gosh, still no news from evernote about adding this function to iOS evernote. With the iPad pro coming out, I think I will never be able to survive by using evernote anymore. Time change...

Anyone has any good app (with ability to add/modify table in iOS) to recommend? My current plan is to intergrate dropbox with excel/word, I realize their iOS intergration & interface to switch btw app on the go is much much more better compare to evernote with excel/word in iOS.... You guys should try it out!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, OLK said:

Anyone has any good app (with ability to add/modify table in iOS) to recommend? My current plan is to intergrate dropbox with excel/word, I realize their iOS intergration & interface to switch btw app on the go is much much more better compare to evernote with excel/word in iOS.... You guys should try it out!

You are so right - there are many apps out there that handle table features better than Evernote
Also other features, 
If that is of such a high importance to you, you should switch apps
For myself, I'm staying with Evernote; I value the input options, multi-platform sync, organization features

One way I handle table functions in IOS is to have templates set up.
By copy/pasting I can create a table or add a row.
Another alternative is to switch to the other app for the extended feature set, then store the output in Evernote

On 6 April 2016 at 2:33 AM, ctoohey32 said:

I just upgraded to the iPad Pro and really want to make this my laptop. It would be awesome if they could make a version for the Pro that is more like the desktop version, that would be awesome!

Same here, I started to get frustrated that Evernote not catching up with these fundamental features as a note application. Seriously considering going to OneNote now!

• Like 1

Totally agree.. Especially with the sentiment that it's a cross platform tool, majority of the same functionality should be universal and it isn't.

I too want to make my iPad Pro my main device.. Come on Evernote, let's finish what you started

• Like 1

I am disappointed to find that I cannot create or edit a table on my ipad - I thought that was pretty basic.....  I actually finally decided to get the premium version so that I could better use the tool, but... disappointment.  Evernote - please make it so tables can be created and edited on ipad!! 

+1 It's ridiculous that we can't add or edit tables on our iPads. I have an iPad Pro and use it almost non-stop. Anytime I need to add or edit a table I have to make a note to edit later or go and get my laptop out. This negates the need for Evernote. I'm on a business plan and have our 6 staff on it too. Unbelievable that there's so little functionality on a Business plan that we pay good money for. We have many tables since we teach dog training classes and it's so very frustrating to be unable to add or edit tables. Almost wish I'd gone with OneNote now.

• Level 5*
On 2016-12-24 at 6:25 PM, Danielle Shelbourne said:

Almost wish I'd gone with OneNote now.

Does OneNote allow table creation in IOS?
I was under the impression it was a limitation of the operating environment - Apple hasn't released the feature for use by apps
Sure, Evernote could implement their own code for this and other things (Mouse support) but generally they make use of the operating system resources

I actually have switched to OneNote for "notes" where I want to lay out ideas including tables which I use a lot. But Evernote is still very busy for me as I use it for recording paperwork using my Scansnap scanner. Evernote is much better than OneNote for tagging and organizing records. For me the combination of tools does the job.

On 1/19/2016 at 6:50 AM, cripoll said:

@cmlccie I agree with most of your points. Tables are important and should be better implemented. They look as an old fashion HTML table, while it should be something closer to a spreadsheet or something like that. Styles would also be useful, but we must not forget that the purpose of this app is not to be a word processor replacement.

I second to this.

• Like 1

with the addition of table creating/editing function in the apple's basic rudimentary "Notes" app in iOS 11 for iPhone & iPad, it will really be a big shame if Evernote still can't make this function available in their iOS app... 

I am now seeing latest updates to the Table Function of Evernote with version 6.12 on my Macbook

Not the best, but any progress definitely is something! Kudos to EN Team!

I hope that these changes are also applied across all devices.

Another person here agreeing this PITA.  I don't use tables a lot but I'm downstairs on my iPad Pro and making obscene noises that I can't add a row and will have to go upstairs to my computer just to add this row.

Doesn't look like Evernote developers care much about customer requests. Lots of people have been asking for Tables in Evernote. What you can do now is completely useless. You can only get a narrow line on your iPhone which is not usable. 

I know its time to switch my account to another app if Evernote do not fix this problem fast enough. How dumb can your developers be that they can not find a solution for it. You don't have to invent anything new here. Don't start a company and expect your users to figure of ways to fix technical issues on their own within a forum. It your developers can't find a solution, hire people that can solve this issue or just go away. Otherwise, your company will disappear as soon as a better app shows up in the market. I know I will switch as soon as I can find one or may be just start up my own company.

If any of you know about a better program, please post it. I am tired of companies taking your money and not providing the most basics of services. Most engineers now a days don't want to be bothered by customer request or any problem solving. Its nice to stare at the computer for few hours a day and collect paycheck at the end of the month.

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, hawkstr said:

Thanks for your help. I will work with it for now. I will I could resize the columns though. 

Thank you!

You are welcome.  Agree, some table editing options on IOS would be an improvement.

Another alternative is to switch to the other app for the extended feature set, then store the output in Evernote ver ahora 

• Level 5*
On 6/6/2020 at 10:05 AM, meercy1005 said:

hire people that ...

The majority of users (including yourself) are unwilling to pay for this

You're welcome to indicate your support for this request by using the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion   
The request currently has 79 votes

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 6/6/2020 at 7:05 PM, meercy1005 said:

Another alternative is to switch to the other app for the extended feature set, then store the output in Evernote ver ahora 

@meercy1005 

There are users a forum can do without, which are those who do not share or search for help, but just spray venom.

There are users a company can do without, which are those who expect much, and pay little or nothing.

If you are not able or willing to contribute insight or money, you could at least show some respect for those who give you a lot, for free.

Just my opinion, from user to user.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Probably not that hard to implement, but I would like to have a better Table-Tool for iOS in general.

As a workaround (if you need it more often) you can load a soft keyboard with a tab key, for use instead of the system keyboard. Just make sure to pick a trustworthy developer, because there were soft keyboards in the past for free that were sending information to a remote server.