What is an Evernote Remark?

bbarlach

It's a freeform text area where you can add your own notes about the clip you are making. The content will show up in the note separated from the clip. It's risk free to try it and see what you can use it for. 

• 3 years later...
On 4/9/2015 at 2:20 PM, jbignert said:

It's a freeform text area where you can add your own notes about the clip you are making. The content will show up in the note separated from the clip. It's risk free to try it and see what you can use it for. 

It also showcases another one of the massive and multifarious inconsistencies between versions of Evernote as a web app, a Mac app, PC app, Android app and iPhone app (I use it on all those devices). 

It is a very useful feature: I use it, when using Clipper to archive an article, to insert the article's URL for future reference in case I need to make an attribution (as Clipper currently does not store the URL automatically, which, IMHO, it should do). 

BUT

There is NO WAY to insert a 'remark' in any other way than when you use Clipper.

And Evernote appear to have no interest in a dialogue with their customers - so, forget about it ever appearing as a much-needed feature: they'll tell you, 'Evernote does what it does, dry your eyes and get used to it'.

Cheers,

Mark

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Alaric The Visigoth said:

There is NO WAY to insert a 'remark' in any other way than when you use Clipper.

We have full edit access to the note.
I like to use the Remark feature so my text doesn't get mixed in with clipped text/formatting; code block works just as well

>>as Clipper currently does not store the URL automatically, which, IMHO, it should do). 

Using the Web Clipper on Mac/Safari, I get the url stored in the note's metadata 

>>And Evernote appear to have no interest in a dialogue with their customers

Evernote has set up Feature Request sections in these forums.  You're welcome to post a new request or indicate your support for an existing request.

• Level 5*
On 10/4/2018 at 4:13 PM, Alaric The Visigoth said:

I added a remark to a web clipping. The remark information was placed at the top of my note, and appeared as just some simple text with default format. There's really not too much special about it; you could just as easily add much the same thing in in any note in any Evernote client..  Here's my remark in .enex format, including markup: 

<div style="z-index:200; position: relative;">This is my very special remark.<hr/></div>

The 'z-index' part of the div style is a little curious; I didn't see that being used elsewhere in my note, so maybe that's a special marker for Evernote clients to try to identify a remark, but since there's nothing in Evernote search that you can do to identify a note with a remark, it's of little use to Evernote users as any kind of special feature.

And Evernote appear to have no interest in a dialogue with their customers

Funny; we forum / Evernote users do get occasional dialog with Evernote staff right here in these forums. Aside from that, they do gauge user interest in features here (and elsewhere), and yes, they even use that feedback to guide features that they add to Evernote (don't forget to say "thank you, Evernote" for the ability to have more notebooks at your disposal, if you so choose). 

forget about it ever appearing as a much-needed feature

Since users can easily add  their own text to any of their own notes, I doubt that it's really all that 'much-needed' as you seem to think. If Evernote were to add search capabilities to identify remarks, then I'd expect that they'd also need to add client capabilities to add remarks. But in the current state of things, it's not that big a deal, and neither 'massive' nor 'multifarious'...

Archived