Request: Color tagging/coding options

Bladerunn3r

Idea

I've been an Evernote user since the beginning and I can't imagine my workflow without it.

HOWEVER, the lack of color options is astonishing. Color is the basic methodology for people to I.D. something quickly, regardless of language.

Please bring back or introduce some color tagging/coding options for Notes or Notebooks.

When you have a lot of notes/folders, it would be alot easier to find what I'm looking for by sight of color.

59 replies to this idea

Its amazing to me that in the past year since this post went live, and EN has been updated numerous times, that there is STILL no color options available on the Mac version. I am not a programmer/coder so I can't speak unilaterally, but as a graphic designer and web designer, I just can't understand how adding color is so difficult. No one is asking for a universal-language translator that reads Shakespeare in the original Klingon dialect. Its color for crying out loud. I don't get it. You even have color options in this forum text editor.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, Bladerunn3r said:

Its amazing to me that in the past year since this post went live, and EN has been updated numerous times, that there is STILL no color options available on the Mac version. I am not a programmer/coder so I can't speak unilaterally, but as a graphic designer and web designer, I just can't understand how adding color is so difficult. No one is asking for a universal-language translator that reads Shakespeare in the original Klingon dialect. Its color for crying out loud. I don't get it. You even have color options in this forum text editor.

I'm amazed at what people find amazing.

I am using colour on my Mac, but I had to use tables in my notes.

You might want to post in the feedback forum so that this can be better addressed as a feature request.  This will allow users to vote and give Evernote an idea of priority.

On 6/15/2016 at 11:07 AM, Bladerunn3r said:

Its amazing to me that in the past year since this post went live, and EN has been updated numerous times, that there is STILL no color options available on the Mac version.

I work for a software company. Just because a particular feature is relatively simple to implement doesn't automatically mean it's going to make it into the software immediately. There can be countless other feature requests, enhancements and fixes that are higher priority.

That being said, Evernote's Mac interface is so incredibly grey and lifeless that sometimes I wonder if I'm looking at the other side of my Macbook's display. The only clue is that there's no white apple.

There is no tool quite like Evernote. I absolutely love it. I do wish it had some basic color-coding options though. (The fact this has been rolled out for Windows has me feeling somewhat optimistic though.)

On 4/20/2016 at 11:08 AM, s2sailor said:

Windows version 6 beta is out and has added some color options.  You might want to check it out.

Great idea, but I'm like the maid.... I don't do windows.... :-) 

I need this, is there a topic about that in the Mac Software section of the forum, so that we can upvote it ?

I want to use Textexpander to add pre-written things in colors to my notes. I didn't find a way to do it.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Gauthier said:

I need this, is there a topic about that in the Mac Software section of the forum, so that we can upvote it ?

I want to use Textexpander to add pre-written things in colors to my notes. I didn't find a way to do it.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I use emoticons in my tag and notebook names on my Mac and iPad 

Tag?        Tag?

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, DTLow said:

but you can use emoticons in your tag and notebook names

Tag?        Tag?

fyi, I think this is for Mac only.  Unless I've overlooked it I don't think we can easily do that with Windows.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, IslanderFJ said:

Yes - please color tagging.  I've considered moving to OneNote because of the lack of this feature!!!

They have colour tags in One Note?

Hi, recent new user of evernote and falling in love with it. I prefer the side list view whilst working on uni content but I would love to the option to color highlight certain notes in the list. I have so many in there it would be really helpful to develop some kind of self-made hierarchy.

Thanks

I moved away from Evernote last year because I couldn't color-code my notebooks or notes. I started using it again this month and I probably won't use it heavily / long because I can't color code things. I'm using the Mac version.

I am NOT upgrading to Evernote premium as long as there is no COLOUR. Colour would make my organising go much much faster, and make this program much much loved. And please, give us the biggest range of colours possible, not some preset unless they are picked by an actual painter/graphic designerYou've got color available for this here comment box... THANK YOU!

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, tofupuff said:

I am NOT upgrading to Evernote premium as long as there is no COLOUR. 

I use colour for text contents (Mac)594ac3bbe9c58_ScreenShot2017-06-21at12_05_45.png.a2523dc19eab2fbaf2dab2fe0a118f2c.png

I also add background colour using a table (Mac)

594ac5313a235_ScreenShot2017-06-21at12_12_22.png.cfca89266a1e6a46b89454a685d93f13.png

On 9/12/2017 at 6:03 PM, Eric Nascimento said:

Good night friends,
I solved this need with a workaround. I copied some emojis and put them as tags in the notes. I hope it helped you.

Dont forget to add the tags as a column option in the listing.

Emojis icons:

❗✅⚠️

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 19.01.43.png

Creative idea for making tags stand out in the list... but what platform are you on?  When I paste those Emoji's into Windows, they are just black and white.

But if we are going to use Emoji tags, don't forget

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻┻

I absolutely love Evernote and use it all day, everyday for both work and personal life. There are only a few features that I wish Evernote allowed, the top of the list being color coding of notes. I am a User Interface Designer, so I think about feature sets and interface design constantly. I mocked up an idea of how Evernote could elegantly and clearly add a color coding feature to notes.

Any plan to add this feature in the near future?

Evernote Color Code Idea.jpg

Looking at the forums it seems this has been a featured requested many times during the years and has been ignored.   We both may be wasting our time here, but I wanted to join my voice to yours.   I also find it hard to believe that evernote's interface cannot be colored

i agree evernote should have color code. i feel this is one of the important features of sticky notes for me. 

i understand how critical the note is based on the color code i give it. add the basic colors at least evernote team 

Totally agree about colors.  I've been using Evernote for a few years now.  Have went over the upgraded plans many times, but cannot justify anything that makes me want to upgrade from the free version.  However, color coding, different colors of highlighters, being able to adjust the space between lines of text, more fonts and more robust editing features in general, would bring me over to the paid version in a heartbeat. 

I'm a grad student living on loans and just love, love, love Evernote, I do hope to be able to afford little luxuries like supporting them in the future though, after graduation.

+1

Hi,

I'm new here.

I just subscribe for a premium version to use it with getting things done methods, for pro and personal life.

But I can't go further without any visual formatting. After months of collecting data and managing projects with Evernote, I can understand why tags are note associated with a color code.

When we reach too much data, Evernote become unusable in black and white.

There is two simple feature to make Evernote a awesome tool :

- color note with tags

-improve text note formatting.

I hope they Will do it before I leave, but I found 3/4 years old topics with the same request...

As Dani says above, tag-based coloring would be outstanding new feature.  Folder coloring too.  It would speed up visual recognition as Bladerunn3r mentioned.  I've been using Evernote Business as my Getting Things Done tool for a year now on Windows (mostly), Android, Mac, web platforms.  Navigating a years' worth of notebooks and tags without color makes my eyes start to glaze over.  Too much text on white background.  Adding color would help me pitch EB to my coworkers.

Also it's disorienting to have such different user interfaces on each platform.  I understand why a mobile app would look different, but not the Windows, Mac, and the web platforms.

I honestly considered dropping evernote for Springpad because of this issue, then Springpad died and I had to export everything back to evernote.  SEriously cannot imagine why this is such a tall order.  I've been a premium member forever, at least respond to these requests Evernote.  Think I'm going to start posting on the FB wall....

As a follow-up thought...there are increasingly more apps appearing that actually look like they will support this feature as well as other features. All of which is seriously making me look elsewhere for my note taking and collection services. As much as I hate to leave Evernote, I'm just finding the lack of features and support to be more and more of an issue. Especially since I'm a paying member.

The way they've got the color coding going for tags is very Trello-like... not bad. That means you can use multiple tags/ colors per note. Looks like they'd have space for up to 10 tag colors (overkill) depending on the width of your note list (snippet view).  I don't quite like the colored tag text in the left panel... I'd much prefer to see solid color backgrounds.

skitch.png

8 hours ago, Anthony552 said:

+1

The main reason I have not upgraded to premium is the lack of any visual colour coding! 

Interesting... 

You're shooting yourself in the foot if that's really your reason. There's a significant difference between the tiers. 

I don't think one signs up for Evernote based on the hope of colors... 

But I do understand the need for color. I'm one of the first to get behind that.

Adding my voice. This would be EXTREMELY good and useful. I'm a premium user and am not looking at other options. Evernote is my life, but this would make it better....

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, rogw said:

Adding my voice. This would be EXTREMELY good and useful. I'm a premium user and am not looking at other options. Evernote is my life, but this would make it better....

Windows version 6 beta is out and has added some color options.  You might want to check it out.

On 5/10/2016 at 5:56 PM, girlmuse said:

...COLOSSAL OVERSIGHT?

If you're on Window's desktop, the latest, V.6, may have what you're looking for. If you're on Mac, it's most likely on the way in due course: You can color code notes by tagging them and giving your tags a specific color. This doesn't work for the Reminder's list, though... and in general, Evernote does not excel at task organization. 

Archived