Using Notability with Evernote

GiacomoLaw

I have been using Notability as my goto note taking application for over a year now. The fact that I can mix together written, typed, highlighted, photos, annotate PDF's all in the same Note if I want is the reason it is a keeper.

As for how I use it. Generally, it is my goto PDF markup app or for taking notes at a meeting. I will keep a note in Notability until I am finished with adding or changing any content to the note. Then I will user the Share feature to send it to Evernote as a PDF. After it is safely in EN, I will delete the note from Notability.

While I appreciate the flexible note naming, folders, and dividers in Notability; I will not compromise by having multiple Trusted Systems for keeping my content. That is how my life becomes a mess anyway, with multiple places to look for things.

I hope that my experience helps you in some way.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using Notability as my goto note taking application for over a year now. The fact that I can mix together written, typed, highlighted, photos, annotate PDF's all in the same Note if I want is the reason it is a keeper.

As for how I use it. Generally, it is my goto PDF markup app or for taking notes at a meeting. I will keep a note in Notability until I am finished with adding or changing any content to the note. Then I will user the Share feature to send it to Evernote as a PDF. After it is safely in EN, I will delete the note from Notability.

While I appreciate the flexible note naming, folders, and dividers in Notability; I will not compromise by having multiple Trusted Systems for keeping my content. That is how my life becomes a mess anyway, with multiple places to look for things.

I hope that my experience helps you in some way.

You can export as:

• RTF (only text, not drawings),
  • notability format (to share with other users notability ), or
  • PDF

Hi rbianchi, when I go to "share" in Notability, I have 9 options (email, dropbox, google drive, etc) but Evernote is not one of them.  Is there a trick to setting up EN so that it is listed as a share tool?

nfalex.

No tricks.

Tap on 'Send to...' (I use the spanish version of Notability, And I believe that the correct translation of little icon on top left, like a box with up arrow, it is 'Send to...' in english)

Then tap 'Share ...' ('Compartir ...' in spanish). It is the last item in the menu (at the bottom).

Then select the format (PDF / RTF or Note), and if you want the paper & audio exported too.

Tap 'Share with...' and you can select the app, include Evernote, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.

Sorry my english, hope you can understand...

nfalex.

No tricks.

Tap on 'Send to...' (I use the spanish version of Notability, And I believe that the correct translation of little icon on top left, like a box with up arrow, it is 'Send to...' in english)

Then tap 'Share ...' ('Compartir ...' in spanish). It is the last item in the menu (at the bottom).

Then select the format (PDF / RTF or Note), and if you want the paper & audio exported too.

Tap 'Share with...' and you can select the app, include Evernote, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.

Sorry my english, hope you can understand...

Thanks, but Evernote does not show up for me! I see dropbox

, Google drive, but no Evernote.

nfalex,

Here are more detailed instrucctions:

https://www.evernote.com/l/AAHV5kZrN6hPA7luxFN6RK2CbRn9-OpMH6c

Hope this help...

Bravo for the detailed instructions.  The instructions provide good information for those who follow us and they are a great use of Skitch or the Evernote annotation tools.

Thanks to Rbianchi and everyone for their help.  I WAS able to find the share to Evernote with the additional instructions (instrucciones?), muchas gracias.  Nicolas

• 1 year later...

Thank you, this is a helpful thread.

What about if you want to do the opposite? I want to export a PDF from Evernote and annotate it in Notability. What is the easiest way to do so?  (I am using an iPad)

Thanks!

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 10:20 AM, SK4953 said:

Thank you, this is a helpful thread.

What about if you want to do the opposite? I want to export a PDF from Evernote and annotate it in Notability. What is the easiest way to do so?  (I am using an iPad)

Thanks!

On my iPad Air, with IOS 9.3.2 and the current Evernote for IOS app you do the following to accomplish what you have suggested in your reply above.

1. Open the Evernote note that contains the PDF file.

2. Tap on the PDF file to open it for viewing (by default I do not show my PDF's in full view in the note, a setting).

3. From the PDF viewer screen, I see the Send To/Share icon in the top right, along with the Search, Annotate, and Grid view icons.

4. Tap the Send To/ Share icon.

5. On the second line, tap "Open In".

6. Tap on "Notability".  If Notability does not show in the list, scroll all the way to the right, tap on "more".  From there find Notability and enable it.  You can also reorder the pick list to place it near the left.

7. A pop up will ask you Send to Notatibility - OK?  Tap to approve and it is done.

8. Open your Notability app.  You will be presented with an Import window; please choose whether to "Create new note" or "Add to other note".

9. In Notability a second popup will show thumbnails of the pages to be imported.  You may select or deselect individual pages.  Then touch "Import" in the top right.  You are done.

I hope that his is what you are looking for.

• 3 months later...

What I want to do is *synchronize* my notability files with Evernote. I don't want to "share" every file I create--way too time-consuming, and too much duplication. Also, if I change a note in Notability, I'd like the changes reflected in the EN note. Like the way PDF Expert has "sync folders". I love much about Notability--it's the perfect note-taking app--but Evernote is at the center of my digital universe.

I'm using a Mac running Yosemite and have a 2016 iPad Pro.

Any help?

Thanks!

--Nathaniel

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, nccomfort said:

What I want to do is *synchronize* my notability files with Evernote. I don't want to "share" every file I create--way too time-consuming, and too much duplication. Also, if I change a note in Notability, I'd like the changes reflected in the EN note. Like the way PDF Expert has "sync folders". I love much about Notability--it's the perfect note-taking app--but Evernote is at the center of my digital universe.

I'm using a Mac running Yosemite and have a 2016 iPad Pro.

I wouldn't want to maintain two filing systems

I use Notability and other apps, but I export the note and file in Evernote 

Notability has an automatic backup feature; I think its to a Dropbox folder
On the Mac, you can use Applescript to use the backups to automatically update your notes in Evernote

On 09/12/2016 at 4:56 PM, DTLow said:

I wouldn't want to maintain two filing systems

I use Notability and other apps, but I export the note and file in Evernote 

Notability has an automatic backup feature; I think its to a Dropbox folder
On the Mac, you can use Applescript to use the backups to automatically update your notes in Evernote

Or use IFTTT, which is what I use.

Sadly the two are not integrated, earning that that option is not available.

• 1 month later...
On 20/01/2017 at 1:43 PM, lino sutter said:

@GiacomoLaw

I don't get it with the IFTTT recipe. can you attach your files in EN or just links? i'm stuck with url, but i want real files that are searchable. i use the following recipe; https://ifttt.com/search/notability

please let me know if there's a way to fix that.

Try this one: Notability to Evernote
https://ifttt.com/applets/278983p

Archived