Best workflow/ strategy to get data from PC to Web-accessed-only account.

OK, I think I know the answer to these questions - but just in case I'm missing something:

1. If I have a number of Gigabytes of data on my desktop (not within Evernote... just on my PC) and I wanted to open a 2nd premium account and access that data on the Web client only... the only way is to sync via desktop first, right? In other words, there's no way to bypass the desktop client, is there? 
  2. Also, if one wants to share notebooks to a 2nd account, there is no way to copy the contents of those notebooks to a new notebook (working from the Web interface) without selecting all of the notes in a notebook individually, one by one (Ctrl+Click), is there? Ctrl+Shift and Ctrl+A don't seem to work. One's monthly upload limit is depleted on both end's (joined notebooks + newly copied notes to an existing notebook), right? 

In splitting an account, could Evernote conceivably, in the future, facilitate this process by relocating notebooks of our choosing to a 2nd premium account and bypass the notebook sharing dynamic - and at the same time waiver the upload limit for relocated files (since they were already uploaded to a previous account)? I don't understand what this might entail behind the scenes in Evernote's **transmogrifier/ duplicator box... but I imagine it might be possible  :P

Duplicator.gif?dl=1

• Level 5

I can't answer your questions, but I'll let you know what happened when I split my account.

Due to the Evernote speed problem I encountered last year (up to 8 minute waits - Evernote "Not Responding"), I bought a new computer. The problem continued, so I contacted Evernote Support. After conducting all the 1st tier support requests, my issue was bumped up to Evernote 2nd tier support.  They asked me to split up my data and create a 2nd premium account. Even with a 2nd Premium account, I had to spread my transfers over several months due to the upload cap.

1. I selected a maximum of 400 notes or less per transfer.
  2. Synced both accounts for safety
  3. Exported the 400 notes to an ENEX file
  4. Imported the ENEX file into the 2nd account
  5. Moved the imported notes into the correct notebook
  6. Verified the transfer worked 
  7. Deleted the Imported Notes notebook in the 2nd account
  8. Emptied the trash in both accounts
  9. Deleted the ENEX file to avoid confusion with next export
  10. Synced both accounts for safety
  11. Backed up the .EXB file (and maintained a set of those backups)
  12. For safety, I usually waited a day, then repeated these steps with next 400 notes; over and over

Even though the created date, titles, and notes imported correctly; the tags did not. I rely heavily on a 2 level (parent - child) tag system. The import procedure destroys the hierarchical structure and puts them all on the same level.

I was faced with a dilemma: do I live with the 8-minute long Evernote "not responding" problem or manually recreate my entire parent-child tag structure on the 2nd account. I decided the on the latter procedure.

But now, 6 months later, with 25K notes in my primary account and 20K notes in my secondary account I am noticing the return of the dreaded Evernote "Not Responding" prompt. Grrrr!

And even though I have asked many times, I have yet to see any formal response from Evernote that verifies their supposed claim of 100,000 notes. They have avoided commenting on the scalability concerns mentioned in this forum. Based on these issues, I am using other programs for most of my data. I use Evernote for capturing less important information (web captures), but if the "not responding" time increases back to 8 minutes, I will leave Evernote completely.

I think that pretty much answers all of my questions @jbenson2. No easy way around transferring between accounts, being exempt from upload limits for transferred data or uploading directly from desktop to Web. 

I have read on other threads about your predicament and "splitting" your database between 2 accounts. In fact, although I am not in the same predicament, I was thinking primarily about the measures you had to take in order to achieve this when thinking through my own next steps/ strategy. IOW, I don't currently have the same dilemma, but owing to yours and others' complications, I wanted to think ahead, particularly now where I have a specific use case where I'm looking to max out my premium upload limit over the next 2-3 months, expanding my database by no less than 8.000 notes and 8GB. Each of those notes contain a jpg. image of around 1 MB. I've input 1,000 notes thus far, which is merely a fraction at this point... but I was wondering how wise it would be to continue... I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks. I've got 4 days left in the current cycle with 3.5 GB at my disposal... so I should be able to report back within the next 5 weeks on any performance issues, after my total note count has swollen to about 33,000 with an additional 8GB.

I hope I'm not playing with fire. That's what I had a second premium account in mind for. This database I'm putting together is pure geeky indulgence and does not require the material therein to be searchable within my main account. I'm already 1,000 notes in over my head  :P and I am very much tempted to use my combined upload limit of 7.5 GB staggered over the next week(s). Time will tell, I guess.

Due to the Evernote speed problem I encountered last year (up to 8 minute waits - Evernote "Not Responding"), I bought a new computer. The problem continued, so I contacted Evernote Support. After conducting all the 1st tier support requests, my issue was bumped up to Evernote 2nd tier support.  They asked me to split up my data and create a 2nd premium account. Even with a 2nd Premium account, I had to spread my transfers over several months due to the upload cap.

But now, 6 months later, with 25K notes in my primary account and 20K notes in my secondary account I am noticing the return of the dreaded Evernote "Not Responding" prompt. Grrrr!

And even though I have asked many times, I have yet to see any formal response from Evernote that verifies their supposed claim of 100,000 notes. They have avoided commenting on the scalability concerns mentioned in this forum. Based on these issues, I am using other programs for most of my data. I use Evernote for capturing less important information (web captures), but if the "not responding" time increases back to 8 minutes, I will leave Evernote completely.

This worked for me.

I also followed all of the "Not Responding" comments, major lags, reinstall, etc. Then I came across someone who changed out the Hard Drive for a Solid State Drive. WOW, talk about night and day.

(1) Sync your Evernote account.

(2) I installed a Kingston Digital 480GB from Amazon at a cost of $220.

(3) Took about 10 minutes to install the SSD, and about 25 minutes for the Kingston to copy "all" of the files from the HD.

(4) Turned off computer and unplugged the old HD

(5) Restarted computer and go to BIOS to set the Kingston as the new boot drive.

(6) Talk about lightning fast.

The only problem I had with Evernote was that it would not sync with the cloud, but all of the other features worked very fast. I finally remove the database on the SSD restart Evernote and then it went to the cloud and downloaded the cloud database, it then worked like a charm.

I know this is a radical way to solve the Evernote slowness problem, but when you see how fast all of your programs are loading, it is just like when you first got your new Windows computer, and by the way, I am doing all of this on Windows XP !!

Regards,

David in Wichita

Go Shocks!!

• Level 5*

I know all of you guys are Windows users, but since this is under the General Discussion section, I just wanted to add that I also have seen a huge benefit in using SSDs, but on Macs.

A thought just struck me:  I don't recall seeing anyone posting about performance issues with EN Mac for large accounts.

I do know that the EN storage architecture is quite different on the Mac.

Is this issue with scalability more of a Windows issue?

• Level 5*

@frank,

Relative to 1, if the data isn't in EN at the moment can't you just add it through your browser on the web version.  Probably take forever if you have to do it a piece of data at a time.  I don't know if there is a mass add function for the web, assuming these are attachments.  Maybe you can create an email script of some sort to mail them all to your new account.  Exercise for the student.   ;)

Edit:  Relative to 2, I don't think the web interface is particularly friendly for mass anything.

@frank,

Relative to 1, if the data isn't in EN at the moment can't you just add it through your browser on the web version.  Probably take forever if you have to do it a piece of data at a time. 

I'm downloading over 100 public domain .cbr/ .cbz comic book files (about 80-150 MB a pop) which one can rename to a zip file and extract. There are about 8,000 1 MB+ images I am stuffing into my account. The site I'm downloading from allows a preview page by page, which I could most likely clip with the web clipper... 8,000 times. The other thing is that I am bulk renaming the files to have a standardized note title in Evernote... so that would be 16,000 distinct actions to take, plus a lot more clicking. The way I'm doing it is not that involved... but I wanted to look into how much of a mission it would be to either transfer to a secondary account... or else upload direct to the Web client. So naive of me  :P

• Level 5*

@frank,

Relative to 1, if the data isn't in EN at the moment can't you just add it through your browser on the web version.  Probably take forever if you have to do it a piece of data at a time. 

I'm downloading over 100 public domain .cbr/ .cbz comic book files (about 80-150 MB a pop) which one can rename to a zip file and extract. There are about 8,000 1 MB+ images I am stuffing into my account. The site I'm downloading from allows a preview page by page, which I could most likely clip with the web clipper... 8,000 times. The other thing is that I am bulk renaming the files to have a standardized note title in Evernote... so that would be 16,000 distinct actions to take, plus a lot more clicking. The way I'm doing it is not that involved... but I wanted to look into how much of a mission it would be to either transfer to a secondary account... or else upload direct to the Web client. So naive of me  :P

Well, if you are going to be renaming them all, dragging one at a time to the web may be what it is.  Ouch.

• Level 5*

I'm downloading over 100 public domain .cbr/ .cbz comic book files (about 80-150 MB a pop) which one can rename to a zip file and extract. There are about 8,000 1 MB+ images I am stuffing into my account. 

. . .

Frank, have you considered using DropBox, which does have selective sync?

Well, if you are going to be renaming them all, dragging one at a time to the web may be what it is.  Ouch.

Nope... I'm using "Bulk Rename Utility". Works like magic :-)

My original questions had more to do with bypassing a desktop client for a secondary account. Speed of workflow is not an issue for me. I've gotten into a comfortable rhythm already  ;)

Frank, have you considered using DropBox, which does have selective sync?

I use Dropbox... but it doesn't do OCR like Evernote does (or doesn't do OCR period). In fact, I don't think there's a service out there that gives us what Evernote does in that department. * So Evernote it is... full steam ahead  :)

* I'm talking specifically about creating databases entirely reliant on OCR and search capabilities. Comic books. Comic strips.

• Level 5

David (ClutterBGone)

Thanks for your suggestion to swap in a Solid State drive. 

But since I just bought a brand new laptop just a few months ago, I am not keen on pulling it apart and replacing the hard drive. And because my other dabase-type programs do not exhibit the slowness I see with Evernote, I don't want to make the SSD purchase for one program that I have lost faith in.

Evernote's lack of information on the scalability problem is what caused me to move to other more reliable programs.
  • Level 5*

@jbenson,

I've been using SSD for a while now as well and everything runs faster for sure.  But you are right, hardware may just be masking an application performance issue.  EN seems to go off and clean itself up from time to time and the SSD fixes that for me, at this point anyway.  When you get your next laptop consider SSD then.  Well worth the incremental cost in my view.

• Level 5*

Nope... I'm using "Bulk Rename Utility". Works like magic :-)

Thanks for this, never heard of it!

You can download Bulk Rename Utility here:

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

I explained the process very briefly to @Gazumped here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/82989-difference-in-ocr-on-paid-versus-free/#entry353797

This is what the Bulk Rename Utility interface looks like.

Bulk%20Rename%20Utility.PNG?dl=1

As you can see, I renamed 60 .jpg images in a matter of seconds by removing the first 4 characters and prefixing with 022 Daredevil... where 022 is the issue number and  the "suffixes" are the page numbers...

Archived