Evernote Web Clipper for Safari doesn't stay logged in

pauhana658

I use Evernote Web Clipper a few times a day to clip web pages. Recently, however, Web Clpper no longer remains logged in across Safari sessions. Every day, the first time I use it, I have to re-enter my log-in credentials. Since my credentials are not easy to remember, I have to open 1Password, search for Evernote, and copy and past the bits to the Web Clipper log-in window. It's really inconvenient, but I don't want to use shorter credentials.

Is there anything that I can do to restore the previous behavior, which was for Web Clipper to stay logged in?

Always good to know what Safari version, OSX and Web Clipper version you are running?

This is most likely caused by a setting or utility such as another extension you have in your Safari. If you reset Safari on restart this can happen or f.a.e extensions such as CCleaner or other extensions that tamper with cache cookies or local storage. Check what you have an consider adding an exception for Evernote.

If that doesn't help try un-installing or re-installing the Safari Web Clipper. 

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for getting back to you so late. And you're right, I should have included the numbers

Mac OS X 10.10.3 (14D131)

Safari 8.0.5 (10600.5.17)

Web Clipper 6.3.1

As for extensions in Safari, I'm only running Web Clipper and 1Password (which, unfortunately, can't directly fill in the requested Web Clipper log in info). 

I've turned off 1Password, reinstalled Safari Web Clipper a couple of times, and cleared website data a couple of times, but the next day, Web Clipper will ask for the login again. I've even deleted all references to Evernote in the Mac keychain. Anything else I can try? 

This log-in issue is starting to affect my use of Evernote. I now avoid using it in Safari unless I'm clipping a lot of different items just because signing into Web Clipper is such a pain. 

Thx for the details. Most often this problem is caused by a Safari setting or another extension (CCleaner f.a.e) that deletes cookies and/or cache when user restarts Safari or at regular intervals. Accessing internet behind a VPN can also cause this behavior. 

You said this started recently? Can you track it back to either a OSX / Safari update or a Web Clipper version update?

Can't say when it started. Earlier this year, so one of the Yosemite updates, perhaps 10.10.2? It has been a very busy year, and I've been manually logging into Web Clipper for some time simply due to a lack of time to track down the cause. 

As for settings and extensions, I'm only running two extensions—Web Clipper and 1Password—and I've tried turning off 1Password to see it it could be the source of the problem. But nope, turning it off had no effect on Web Clipper's daily need for logging in. 

Is there some Safari setting that I might have inadvertently turned off/on that might case this Web Clipper issue? I've looked the settings over, but don't see anything off-hand that has changed.

Some settings in Safari that may affect login are:

- Cookies and Website data on the Privacy tab. (Always allow is the 'easiest' setting for an extension like WC) 

- Remove history items after X on the General tab.

- Enable Javascript, Block pop-up windows & Allow Plug-ins on the Security tab

I'll check again with my dev team and see if there are more than this. 

• 1 year later...

Have you found a solution to this problem? it is really annoying! 

I'm running Safari 10 on macOS Sierra. Other extensions I have are 1password, Pocket and AdBlockPlus. These work like a charm and stay logged in all the time, just the Evernote Web Clipper keeps logging out, even multiple times a day. 

Any solution? 

Been awhile, but I think the solution had something to do with caches being cleared each time I restarted the machine, which was once a day in the early morning. Sorry to be so vague. Stopped using Evernote when they went to the 2-device model for free accounts. Needed to cut a device, decided to cut Evernote, instead.

I am having the same login issue on Chrome  55.0.2883.87 for the past couple of months. Actually its the ability to STAY logged in.  Even tho I check the Remember this for 30 Days checkbox ten minutes later the red dot is showing again.  I believe this started about the same time as SignIn with Google was offered initially so I've figured its a push to move over to those credentials.  Google has enough info on me already, I'd like my Evernote activity to myself.

Looking at the error log the most common entry each day is:

10:28:20 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time) (ERROR) /background.html: EDAMUserException: {"errorCode":5,"parameter":"authenticationToken"}
    at k (/js/main/Account.js:2:3087)

Not sure if that helps but 80% of the log entries say the same.

This is really becoming a big annoyance. Not only does it sign me out 4 times a day but every time it signs me out it resets the web clipper to store notes based on what notebook it chooses instead of just sticking them in my "inbox" like I ask it to do. At the very least this preference should be stored on their servers instead of in an expiring cookie, I find it very annoying to clip a bunch of web pages only for them to be scattered randomly about my notebooks when I ask a service not to do that. 

Same here, does not stay logged in. It used to stay logged in for a few hours, but now after successfully logging in, it just requests the login again.

OS 10.12.2 | Safari 10.0.2 | Evernote Clipper 6.10.1

MetroDon... any idea if they are addressing this? You had said you opened a case with them.  I'm concerned as I have heard that Evernote was hurting financially and I wonder if this unresolved issue is a foreboding sign.  Its odd because Evernote has always been a solid product with minimal bugs.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you having this issue are using 'content blockers' on safari (like "Wipr")? I've been getting CSRF token errors on other sites like Scientific America with Wipr installed, once I uninstalled it and turned AdBlock and Ghostery back on I stopped getting the CSRF token errors and thus far, after 8 hours, Evernote is still logged in. The behavior seems to indicate that Wipr is resetting cookies (though not removing them). 

29 minutes ago, nullptr said:

Just out of curiosity, how many of you having this issue are using 'content blockers' on safari (like "Wipr")? I've been getting CSRF token errors on other sites like Scientific America with Wipr installed, once I uninstalled it and turned AdBlock and Ghostery back on I stopped getting the CSRF token errors and thus far, after 8 hours, Evernote is still logged in. The behavior seems to indicate that Wipr is resetting cookies (though not removing them). 

Had been using Wipr. Deinstalled it and started safari. Clipper is still not working with Wipr being deinstalled.

7 minutes ago, CreativeSoul said:

Had been using Wipr. Deinstalled it and started safari. Clipper is still not working with Wipr being deinstalled.

Hmm, disappointing. I'm still signed in at this point after removing wipr but based on your experience I'm not too hopeful. 

Same Issue - clipper not functional. 

10.12.2/10.0.2/6.10.3

Not using WIPR or other Content blocker other than Ghostery and AdBlockplus extensions, which are disabled.

Just removed and reinstalled for the about the 15 time. Have tried turning off all other extensions and opening up the clipper again. 

But found a bit of new info by trying to use the clipper with Safari's dev console open - I get a number of these errors when trying to use the clipper to clip a couple of different pages:

[Error] XMLHttpRequest cannot load safari-extension://com.evernote.safari.clipper-Q79WDW8YH9/87efafa7/_locales/en_us/messages.json. Cross origin requests are only supported for HTTP.
    a (port.js:2:2919)
    _getL10nData (port.js:2:3802)
    getMessage (port.js:2:3972)
    getExtensionID (Browser.js:2:109)
    initBrowser (Browser.js:2:907)
    Global Code (Browser.js:2:8907)

If I use Safari's Dev mode and disable Cross-Origin Restrictions, I get a run of this error instead:

[Error] Failed to load resource: The file “messages.json” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file. (messages.json, line 0)

Hope that helps someone.  Safari seems to be breaking at about line 155 of port.js in the Cross Origin error. 

It has been a very useful tool for me, so fairly sad to see it misbehaving for the last two or three weeks in the same way described here.  

Safari Version 10.0.2 (11602.3.12.0.1) & MacOS 10.11.6

I'm assuming Apple's Security Update 2016-003 (applied 22 Dec, more likely timeframe) or Safari Update (applied 14 Dec, less likely timeframe) kicked this off.  I hope to locate another system here that hasn't been updated yet and see what it does with the extension.

Same Issue here with:

OS 10.12.2, Safari 10.0.2 and Clipper 6.10.1 (installed via safari extensions gallery) or Clipper 6.10.3 (downloaded from evernote page)

Only one other extension installed: 1Password 4.6.2

After three months of the Clipper logging itself out the darn thing now seems to work just like its supposed to. I tried lots of things months ago and nothing fixed it. Suddenly it is staying logged in.   I guess that's why we love technology.

I can't use the WeB Clipper at all. The icon all the time has a little dot under it, showing that I'm not logged in. When I click on it opens a second window for a second or so. I've just time to see that this window is named "Lyckades!" (which is "Succeded!" in Swedish), before the tab disappears. But I'm still not logged in.

Have tried everything I can think of, short of reinstalling Sierra. That includes a thorough house cleaning with Onyx, deinstalling the clipper, rebooting the computer, reinstalling the Clipper extension, re-logging in, getting message that I'm logged in … Only, I'm not.

Sierra 10.12.2, Safari 10.0.2

Edit: In another thread  I found a tip that seems to work:

in Safari preferences/privacy/cookies and website data, I checked: "allow from websites I visit" instead of "allow from current website only"

19 hours ago, matsgz said:

I can't use the WeB Clipper at all. The icon all the time has a little dot under it, showing that I'm not logged in. When I click on it opens a second window for a second or so. I've just time to see that this window is named "Lyckades!" (which is "Succeded!" in Swedish), before the tab disappears. But I'm still not logged in.

Have tried everything I can think of, short of reinstalling Sierra. That includes a thorough house cleaning with Onyx, deinstalling the clipper, rebooting the computer, reinstalling the Clipper extension, re-logging in, getting message that I'm logged in … Only, I'm not.

Sierra 10.12.2, Safari 10.0.2

Edit: In another thread  I found a tip that seems to work:

in Safari preferences/privacy/cookies and website data, I checked: "allow from websites I visit" instead of "allow from current website only"

Awesome MAN THANK YOU FOR THAT TIP!!

changing in in Safari preferences/privacy/cookies and website data to  "allow from websites I visit" instead of "allow from current website only" works for me on Sierra 10.12.2 Safari 10.0.2, Webclipper 6.10.3

Found the tip somewhere in the forum and for me it works.

changing in in Safari preferences/privacy/cookies and website data to  "allow from websites I visit" instead of "allow from current website only" works for me on Sierra 10.12.2 Safari 10.0.2, Webclipper 6.10.3

I have had it set as that and it doesn't solve the issue for me. 

This is happening to me too. It started as soon as I moved to Sierra (clean install). macOS 10.12.2, Safari 10.0.2 (12602.3.12.0.1), Evernote Web Clipper 6.10.1.

Still happens when Evernote Web Clipper is the only extension. Safari preferences/privacy/cookies website data has always been set to "Allow from websites I visit."

I received a message from technical support regarding this problem. It said the development team is aware of and investigating the cause of this issue, they don't know when it will be resolved, and to keep watch for the latest news about it in this forum.

I also have this problem ever since I got my new Mac with 10.12 pre installed a couple of weeks ago. Strangely, my previous Mac, also with all software updated to the same standard don't display the same issue.

The Clipper will actually log out even if you haven't quit Safari.

Same annoying issue since some time. Tried deleting cookies, allowing all cookies, reinstall etc. etc. nothing works. Frustrating:

Safari 10.0.2 / MacOS 10.12.2 / Webclipper 6.10.1/ no utilities etc.

Paying subscriber. 

I am experiencing the same problem with web clipper. I use mac 10.11.6 and safari 10.0.2 and whenever I push the web clipper button it forwards me to the evernote login-in page and back again (because I am already logged in). I type my information and everything is fine, but it keeps asking for my login-in all the time, so I can never clip anything. What to do??

Hello.

Since upgrading to MacOS Sierra 10.2.2 and using Safari 10.0.2, the Evernote clipper locks on me about every hour or so, requiring me to log in via a new window in order to use the clipper. Is there a away to to set some preference to keep the clipper unlocked?

Thanks.

Hi y'all,

If you're experiencing issues staying signed into the Evernote Web Clipper in the Safari web browser, please review the following thread:

I'm going to lock this thread so we can have one centralized place for these types of posts. Thanks for your understanding.

Archived