(Archived) I noticed something on your website...

Hey guys!

I was just wondering... I was fetching Evernote for a family member's computer that I'm fixing (they love Evernote :)) and, rather than get the Evernote 3.5 beta (sorry! my family member is not terribly computer saavy, so I figured 3.1 would be a better choice) and I noticed that the "Download Evernote 3.1" link showed this URL text:

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/ ... vernoteWin

I'm specifically curious about the "get.php?file=EvernoteWin". Does this allow you guys to update your software regularly without updating the links on your website? For example, let's say that the file known as "EvernoteWin" points to Evernote31setup.exe, so that every time someone clicks on the above link they get a download prompt (from their browser) that Evernote31setup.exe is trying to download to their computer. Now let's say you've finished Evernote 3.5, and want to give it to people. Would you be able to update the "EvernoteWin" thingy to point to Evernote35setup.exe and the links all over your site would be able to download it?

If so, THAT'S AWESOME HOW DO YOU DO THAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THAT FOREVER HOLY OMFG.

But really, a simple explanation would be nice... just to make sure I'm interpreting the URL correctly. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum...

-Pickle

The ? at the end of a URL tells the website that there are parameters that follow. get.php?file=EvernoteWin is broken down to the page name "get.php", the parameter provided "file" and what that parameter is "EvernoteWin". The get.php script can read what file equals and then handle it accordingly. One script to handle several different flavors of Evernote. They just have to tweek get.php to say "When you see file=EvernoteWin go get file webroot/distribution/Windows/EN35.zip" to upgrade from one to the next version. (that's a made up file path by the way)

Try Google for "URL Parameter Passing" for more information and add the language you are using to narrow it down to get examples of how to make it work.

Hope it helps!

Deverill

Archived