In case of a massive "data wipe" event ...

Recently had an issue where I inadvertently deleted 10 notes....and then tried to stop the synch feature with

my other devices. I then learned about the ENote trash folder. Thus... no issue.

What would happen if a huge program error (read about another Cloud service always worrying about this)

..or something else were to wipe out my ENote cloud data and those deletions synced with my Mac, Ipad, etc...

Would something like Mac Time Machine allow me to recover my Mac Enote files once the code (or whatever) 

was repaired? Or is there another safety option? 

ENote is a wonderful product...but once you make the jump to paperless.......

• Level 5

Same opinion as Metrodon - you can certainly go paperless, but maintaining a regular set of backups is an integral part of paperless. Several Mac users has spoken very positively about Time Machine.

For Evernote Windows I use a combination of nightly backups and an off-site backup service.

• Level 5*

Would something like Mac Time Machine allow me to recover my Mac Enote files once the code (or whatever) 

Yes, Mac TM (or other backup system) would allow you to recover your EN Notes to your local hard drive, but you would have to go through an export/import process using ENEX files in order to get them back into the Evernote Cloud.  While the content has been recovered, from the Evernote perspective you are creating NEW Notes with the old content.

• Ex Employees

Yes, Mac TM (or other backup system) would allow you to recover your EN Notes to your local hard drive, but you would have to go through an export/import process using ENEX files in order to get them back into the Evernote Cloud.  While the content has been recovered, from the Evernote perspective you are creating NEW Notes with the old content.

We've gathered steps on how to back up and restore your Evernote data for issues just like this: https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/28607737 

It's healthy account maintenance to always double check that your backup files are up to date. 

• Level 5*

@charboyd:

Thanks for updating the EN KB article.

We are seeing a lot of questions recently about backup, but often people forget about the important "restore" part of the process.

To be clear, Evernote does not actually support a true restore of the users Notes, in the sense that backup systems like Time Machine use the word restore.  Evernote actually provides for a creation of NEW Notes (new GUID) using the contents of the Notes that were backed up.  However these new Notes are different, having a different GUID and different metadata.  

"Restoring" from ENEX files is NOT a restore, it is an import which creates a NEW Note(s) with a NEW GUID.

What this means:

• Links are broken -- all links you have previously created to the original note are broken.  They point to the old GUID.
  • The ENEX file does NOT contain the EN Notebook it was exported from.
  • The ENEX file has NO information about Notebooks, Stacks, or Tag Hierarchies
  • As stated in your KB article:  
  • The "Created" and "Modified" dates of each note are not preserved. Instead, these dates reflect the date and time when the note was imported.
  • When you IMPORT the ENEX file(s), and move them to a Sync'd Notebook, it will go against your monthly upload allowance.

IMO, Evernote should NOT use the word "restore" because it is misleading.  Perhaps a better word would be "recover".

Restoring files using TM is fairly straightforward.  However, the detailed process to recover Notes from a backup and get them into the Users account is complex, and may be challenging for many users.

I posted the below process back in Feb, trying to help another user.  I was unable to find an KB articles that provides this detail and process.  Perhaps Evernote could review this process, and validate or correct it, and then post as a KB article.

FOR YOUR REVIEW:  How to Recover Selected Notes from a TM Backup

@muglich:  Sorry to hear all that.

So, it looks like you may need major surgery to recover.

This means:

1. Sync EN Mac
  2. Disconnect from Internet to prevent Evernote from further syncs
  3. Quit EN Mac (app and menu)
  4. Backup everything Evernote (app and data)
  5. Rename the existing Evernote data folder and the Evernote.app to "ORIG." & current name.
  6. Do a TM restore of the entire Evernote data folder & app from when you know the Notes of interest were still there
  7. Start EN Mac
  8. Find your notes and export to ENEX, with each NB in a separate ENEX file outside of the Evernote folder (like your Documents folder)
  9. For extra safety you might also export these Notes to HTML
  10. Exit Evernote (app and menu)
  11. Rename the Evernote folder (which was from the restore) and Evernote.app to "OLD." & current name.
  12. Rename the original Evernote folder & app from Step 5 ("ORIG.") back to the original name
  13. Start EN Mac
  14. Import the ENEX files you created in Step 8.  This puts them in a Local Notebook.
  15. Move them into a sync'd Notebook
  16. If everything looks good, connect to Internet and sync.

Proceed with caution!  Do not start this process until you fully understand all steps.

I have NOT actually tested this process, so be careful.

You might even send this process to the Evernote Support rep, and ask his/her opinion.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

• 2 months later...

Archived