Feature Request -- Common Features across all Platforms

I think it would be VERY helpful to have every app of Evernote on every plateform including web version to have all the same features available

I need to do things like create tags, group tags, copy note link etc from ipad or from the web version of evernote because I am not at my computer.

This is critical otherwise you have to wait til you get home or install the app on the computer your own for that short time

Thanks

• Level 5*

Hi.  I totally agree,  it would be verty helpful to have every version of Evernote on every platform behave in the exact same way.  However iOS / Android / Windows Phone / Mac / Windows 8 are all written in different languages with their own special features,  and what's possible in one,  may not be possible in another.  Sometimes it's necessary to recognise that a hammer can't be used to lay bricks,  and pick up a trowel instead.... 

• Level 5*

While there is no doubt that each OS presents its limitations and opportunities that may be unique to it, IMO there are many features, and UI, that could be common across all platforms.  In particular, the desktop platforms, Mac and Win, should be able to support a common feature set, and for the most part, have a similar UI.  And, the mobile platforms, Android and iOS should be as similar as is reasonable to do so.  However, I will quickly admit I have no experience on Android devices, so I can't really speak to that platform.

IMO, the Mac and Win platforms (and I have used both extensively for years) already have many similar features.  For example, cut, copy, and paste are virtually identical with the only difference being Win uses CTRL and Mac uses CMD.  So where Win and Mac OSs have features/UI in common, Evernote should follow suit.

But there are some Evernote features that while similar are just different enough to make it hard to quickly move between platforms (and I have seen many posts where users use both EN Win and EN Mac, one at work, and the other at home).  A good example is Searching in context (not talking about EN Context here) of the current NB and/or Tag filters.  Both EN Win and EN Mac offer this, but have implemented it slightly differently.  I see no compelling Win or Mac standard UI that would cause this difference.

So I would urge the Evernote designers to make EN Mac and EN Win have the same features and UI, except where there is a compelling reason to do otherwise (like the OS doesn't support it, or the OS already has a well-established UI/Shortcut).  Of course, there are some features that are unique to the OS, like the Mac Spotlight search.  This is a great feature of EN Mac and AFAIK there is no counterpart in Windows.

There are some EN Win/Mac features missing from EN iOS that are showstoppers.  For example, EN iOS does NOT support Tag hierarchy.  This makes the complex tag hierarchy organizational structure suggested by Michael Hyatt (and others) not workable on EN iOS.  With a Tag hierarchy I could have 100s (or more) of Tags, but organized as sub-tags so that at the top level I have less than a dozen Tags.  Very easy to use in EN Win/Mac, but nearly impossible in EN iOS because EN iOS shows ALL tags in a flat structure.

I see nothing in the Apple iOS that would preclude the use/display of tag hierarchies.

Let me summarize:

1. I am NOT proposing that ALL platforms be identical in features or UI
  2. Unless the platform OS precludes it, all platforms should support the same features.
  3. In particular, the desktop platforms should be very similar, and the mobile platforms should be very similar
  4. If there is a compelling reason to not support a feature, or to have a different UI, then that would be acceptable.
  5. Evernote designers should keep in mind that today's users often need to use multiple platforms and/or have family or teammates that use a different platform.
  • Level 5*

@kshivner:

I am moving your thread to the Evernote General Discussion section, since it applies to all platforms.

May I also suggest that you change the thread Subject/Title to something more specific, like "Feature Request -- Common Features across all Platforms".  This will help other users find this thread in a search.

Great topic.  I completely agree!

I completely agree.  My biggest gripe is the fact I have to return to my desktop version of Evernote to amend Created Date on anything I add.  I use a few date specific searches so this is important to me.  Given the extensive collection of platforms supported it continues to baffle me that such a basic feature is only available on the desktop.  I use Evernote on Web, Chrome OS and iOS but each time I am forced to return to my desktop to complete work that is otherwise unavailable elsewhere.

I love that Evernote is continuing to look at new ways for it to be used and the recent release of the Apple Watch app is an example of that but I don't want that happening at the expense of what I see more fundamental features on the existing supported platforms.

... In particular, the desktop platforms, Mac and Win, should be able to support a common feature set, and for the most part, have a similar UI.  

What a blissful day it will be when on Windows when we get the Mac feature, "Jump to this note's notebook:P

Mac users... don't you envy the glory of Evernote import folders on Windows? I bet you're going to tell me there's a script for that, @JMichael  ;)

• Level 5*

Mac users... don't you envy the glory of Evernote import folders on Windows? I bet you're going to tell me there's a script for that, @JMichael  ;)

Yes, there is a great AppleScript for that, and, in fact, I like it much better than the native EN Win import.  Among other things, the EN Mac Applescript lets you set the Note Creation Date to the File Creation Date.

For those that are interested:

See Evernote Import Folder Using AppleScript from Veritrope.com 

Let me summarize:

1. I am NOT proposing that ALL platforms be identical in features or UI
  2. Unless the platform OS precludes it, all platforms should support the same features.
  3. In particular, the desktop platforms should be very similar, and the mobile platforms should be very similar
  4. If there is a compelling reason to not support a feature, or to have a different UI, then that would be acceptable.
  5. Evernote designers should keep in mind that today's users often need to use multiple platforms and/or have family or teammates that use a different platform.

Well put, JMichael.  My bugaboos right now are:

• Android doesn't support indentation (Ctrl+M on Windows) when editng.  So I get my weekend task list all set up with items and indented subitems before I go out for the day on Saturday, but if I have to edit it "in the field", I can't because I can't indent my new subitems AND I lose existing indentation if I edit and save.
  • Android doesn't support strikethrough
  • Android doesn't support inserting a horizontal line

I can't imagine any reason any of these can't be done on Android, and they certainly don't violate your proposed principles/rules.

Archived