Evernote for Mac 6.0.9 Beta Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

Today we’re releasing Evernote for Mac 6.0.9 Beta.  There are a number of great bug fixes and other improvements in this release but the biggest change is that we’ve rewritten parts of the note editor to try to improve performance.  We hope this will fix the performance issues some of you are still seeing.

Lots of bug fixes

• Continued note editing performance improvements.  This is a pretty big change so please try editing notes, undoing text, and copying and pasting between notes and other applications.  Let us know if there are any issues.  
  • Fixed our top crashing issue which occurred during upgrade.  Basically the app would immediately crash on start because of issues caused by the upgrade process.  Future upgrades should go a lot smoother.
  • Fixed issue where dragging Apple mail into Evernote would fail to become an attachment.
  • Fixed an Evernote clipper issue where taking screenshots with multiple monitors would sometimes result in the wrong part of the screen getting clipped.
  • Fixed an issue where iWork apps dragged from iCloud drive weren’t able to be edited.
  • Fixed an issue where iWork previews were blurry.
  • Improved copy and paste with images support to Gmail and a number of other apps.  This works for Chrome but there are still issues when using Safari.
  • Fixed the audio note interface and reliability.
  • Fixed an issue where attachments weren’t remembering their view inline or close state.

New features include

• Improved work chat interface - now with a new streamlined chat list, chat bubbles and message grouping.
  • For business users we now separate Business and Personal notebooks on the sidebar.

New Notebook View

In the previous beta you could go to the Terminal to turn on and try out the new notebook view.  In this release it’s on by default but we’ve added a checkbox under Preferences\Software Update to easily turn the feature off and on.  We’ve mostly focused on fixing bugs in the notebook view and haven’t yet made any major changes.  Here’s a link to the new notebook view forum post to have an open discussion about the feature.

You can download the beta from: http://bit.ly/1Mvjfw5.  

Thanks again for helping to test the Mac product and post issues in the forum for the entire Evernote community.  

18 replies to this idea

Prompted by your 'solution', on version 6.0.8 (451398 App Store), I turned OFF "Reduce Transparency"; the slowness immediately disappeared, only to reappear 3 days later.

Now, after turning ON "Reduce Transparency", the slowness immediately disappeared.

...same experience here after some use. It's counter intuitive. and more crashes w/ the beta.

With our internal testing the "Reduce Transparency" didn't help much but I I'm glad it's helping some of you.  I think that setting is very hardware specific and depends on the video card in the machine.  We did find another performance issue with contacts.  If you have lots of contacts in the thousand range we also beach ball.  We have a fix for this in our 6.0.10 release which we'll be releasing shortly.

Understood; turns out that here, the slowness re-appeared after a few hours. Quitting and re-opening the app (which I had done several times in the past) has (at least temporarily) solved the problem (on Version 6.0.8 (451398 App Store)). FWIW, I've had > 18 contacts for years, but have seen beachball only occasionally, though more often the last month or so. 

Prompted by your 'solution', on version 6.0.8 (451398 App Store), I turned OFF "Reduce Transparency"; the slowness immediately disappeared, only to reappear 3 days later.

Now, after turning ON "Reduce Transparency", the slowness immediately disappeared.

...same experience here after some use. It's counter intuitive. and more crashes w/ the beta.

With our internal testing the "Reduce Transparency" didn't help much but I I'm glad it's helping some of you.  I think that setting is very hardware specific and depends on the video card in the machine.  We did find another performance issue with contacts.  If you have lots of contacts in the thousand range we also beach ball.  We have a fix for this in our 6.0.10 release which we'll be releasing shortly.

Philla, please try the new 6.0.9 Beta 2.  We have more performance fixes.  Hopefully some of the new stuff improves the performance issues you're seeing.   Let us know if you see any speed improvement.

Can advise where can we download the latest beta (regularly) including the latest 6.0.9 Beta 2? Thanks

If you would like to participate in the beta regularly, go to Preferences : Software Update and click on the checkbox "Update to beta versions when available".  When there are beta versions you'll be notified and you can decide to upgrade or not at that time.    

Initial Results - SPOTTY

• Currently - MUCH BETTER
  • I turned ON "Reduce Transparency" in "Settings > Accessibility" and all the problems seemed to go away.
  • here's the weird part, I later turned it OFF again (unchecked) and the issues have not returned yet.

Will continue to monitor after installing 6.0.9 Beta 2 and report back here.

Philla, please try the new 6.0.9 Beta 2.  We have more performance fixes.  Hopefully some of the new stuff improves the performance issues you're seeing.   Let us know if you see any speed improvement.

Can advise where can we download the latest beta (regularly) including the latest 6.0.9 Beta 2? Thanks

Some results for me (though somewhat inconsistant)

Setup

• 2012 imac 27" w// 12gb ram
  • 7-9k notes
  • average note 20-50kb of text (usually bulleted lists)

Initial Results - SPOTTY

• after having EN open and working around fine for like 5 min....
  • Clicking around text note and typing seems improved, though still get 1-5 sec wait with beachball every so often (I'd say 1 in 20 times). Subjectively 50-75% better
  • Cutting/pasting from outside note, slowed activity to a crawl nearly every time w/ a 5-7 second lag between related actions (no beachball)
  • Formatting text (B, I, U, colors, fonts, bullets, etc...) proved just as bad with an average of 5 sec delay (no beachball) and nearly every time
  • then i turned on "Reduce Transparency" and seemed to have an immediate effect (cant be 100% actions were related)

Currently - MUCH BETTER

• I turned ON "Reduce Transparency" in "Settings > Accessibility" and all the problems seemed to go away.
  • here's the weird part, I later turned it OFF again (unchecked) and the issues have not returned yet.

Will continue to monitor after installing 6.0.9 Beta 2 and report back here.

The problem with working in large notes with at lot of bullet points seems to be a bit better in the way that it takes more time (like in minutes) before Evernote gets slow. And by slow I mean really slow.

Hi,

Just uploaded this release and my notebooks have turned into a list!

I have gone through the menus but can't see how to return notebooks to its previous folder style appearance.

My notes are all still available and in the previous format (card view).

Please tell me this isn't a new look and I can revert things back to how they were.

Thanks,

Blackrat 

Hi,

Please ignore this post, I have worked out how to get it back to normal.

Blackrat

Hi,

Just uploaded this release and my notebooks have turned into a list!

I have gone through the menus but can't see how to return notebooks to its previous folder style appearance.

My notes are all still available and in the previous format (card view).

Please tell me this isn't a new look and I can revert things back to how they were.

Thanks,

Blackrat 

Thanks for this update, Marcus.

Creating and editing new notes is now appreciably faster. Much better.

And I've encountered no issues with undoing text, or copying and pasting between notes.

The new Work Chat bubbles are a logical design step, though they seem a little lost in space...

... As opposed to the new Notebook view which, while useful in the way it presents info, seems exaggeratedly spacious in the notebook titles' width.

I just updated to 6.0.9 beta and tried to delete a notebook from the new notebook view which led to Evernote crashing. After reopening Evernote the app hung on syncing for 5-7 minutes, during which the notebook view became jittery with the displayed date switching back and forth between "DD/MM/YY", abrreviated month and day, or time of day (when the notebook was created?). It stopped once the sync finished after several minutes and doesn't occur when I manually sync. I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the new notebook view thread.

Below is a quick screencast to illustrate the behavior:

https://www.evernote.com/l/AFFxxrWhhiZEmpYE6qshQuhjYcsh6ySc0a4

Thank you for letting us know about this crash and the issues you saw.  Please feel free to post in either forum if it has to do with notebook view.

I just updated to 6.0.9 beta and tried to delete a notebook from the new notebook view which led to Evernote crashing. After reopening Evernote the app hung on syncing for 5-7 minutes, during which the notebook view became jittery with the displayed date switching back and forth between "DD/MM/YY", abrreviated month and day, or time of day (when the notebook was created?). It stopped once the sync finished after several minutes and doesn't occur when I manually sync. I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the new notebook view thread.

Below is a quick screencast to illustrate the behavior:

https://www.evernote.com/l/AFFxxrWhhiZEmpYE6qshQuhjYcsh6ySc0a4

Archived