Clipper making multiple copies of clipped article (in one note)

magoo

• Level 5*

Try uninstalling / reinstalling the clipper from Add-ons,  and try Firefox or Opera on the same page if you have one of them.  If it's still glitching,  let us know what link you're trying to clip?

It's happening in every forum thread I tried to clip so far that has more than one page(in the thread).

I get a small "+x more pages"  box, and then when i clip the thread(as article) - the number of copies within the note is x+1 (so I get the original page, and +x copies of it inside the note).

I don't use any other browser.

I try uninstall/reinstall and it didn't fix it.

Example of the "+x more pages" in this forum:

https://i.imgur.com/APSoqId.jpg

• Level 5*

Might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome - constant updates can get corrupted sometimes.  Or if you can,  download one of the other major browsers and add a Clipper,  to see whether you still suffer the same problem.  There are other problems with browsers that we're aware of,  but this is a new one!

Iv'e re-installed chrome - the problem still occurs. 

I tried the clipper on firefox, and there is no problem there. There is also no "+x more pages" box in firefox.

Where does this "box" in chrome clipper comes from, and how can I get rid of it? 

@magoo, I get the same "+ X pages" box to the top left. However, in my case it "works as it should", clipping all pages in the thread. I'm using Chrome.

If there are, say, 2 pages in a thread, both pages are automatically saved to my EN account in "Article" mode... BUT... whereas the first page of the thread copies with the same formatting as the forum,  from the 2nd page on, the formatting is not as "clean" as the 1st page. If it's any consolation, and if you're worried about aesthetics, even if your clipper were to work as it should, the formatting from the 2nd page on in the note created in Evernote is not as one would want.

Here's the formatting of the first page clipped:

page%20one.PNG?dl=1

Here's the formatting of the 2nd page on (comment #21):

page%202.PNG?dl=1

Can you try a standard vBulletin forum and see if it works the same way ?

Please find a thread there with multiple pages and post the link here... It's not that quick for me to find  ;)

On that particular forum, only the first page gets clipped. I'm not sure what factors behind the scenes determine whether a single or multiple pages get clipped... but personally I wouldn't hold Evernote to clipping multiple pages of any thread. If it is possible, perhaps just count it as a plus. If not, get busy clipping individual pages - that is if you feel you really need the whole thread in its entirety.

As I said right in the beginning on another thread, any post (selection) you clip to Evernote will include the originating URL link in the note header. The actual thread on a forum is a good place to see the entire context.

I'm not holding my breath for multiple page clipping - my problem is that it clips multiple copies of the first page to a single note.

Any suggestion? What I do from here(since the suggestions so far didn't help)?

Yes... Read both of your threads again on the same topic.

You might come to the conclusion that, for now, it might save you time not clipping entire threads... And in the long run, neither may it be desirable.

Hmmm that's not an option for me. A lot of the material I need is on forums, and need to clip it.

It's not only about clipping an entire thread - I can't properly clip the first page of a thread, which is a must for me as I said.

It's part of what I paid for, so if it SHOULD work, then I should get technical support to fix it. Thanks again for your input.

The 'X more pages' is a utility for getting all pages of articles that are broken into several pages in one single clip. Sometimes this process is not 100% correct which may be the case here.

In my tests on Chrome stable it clips the article just fine without any repetition. Sample clip: https://www.evernote.com/l/AA2-qn4EnE9E246tc6HP99gpvZ_XFH8pM20

What you can try:

- Make sure you run the latest Web Clipper, currently version 6.3

- Make sure you only have one version of the Web Clipper installed by going to: chrome://extensions/

- Try making a full page clip (this clip type will not attempt to look for next pages)

- If you want individual posts instead of an entire thread try selecting the content you want before you start the clipper. 

I don't want the whole thread, - I want the main post, and selected posts in this thread which are spread over multiple pages.

Thus the confusion (on my part, since I participated in both threads)

I tried the clipper on firefox, and there is no problem there. There is also no "+x more pages" box in firefox.

Where does this "box" in chrome clipper comes from, and how can I get rid of it? 

I think you've found a solution right there... for now. To clip multi-page threads, one at a time without the bug occurring (when/ if the "X more pages" utility appears), switch over to Firefox. Also, it is clear that the utility does not always appear on every forum for everyone (and it's not a feature Evernote is advertising), even for those where it works correctly when it does appear.  

For now, barring a solution on Evernote's part, on both of your threads, you've got at least a half a dozen workarounds for clipping and not clipping whole threads, depending on the browser. Keep in mind that it works for other users in Chrome, so the issue may be on your end. Maybe...

Question: Did you at any point submit a support ticket directly to Evernote? Keep in mind that the EN forum is predominantly a user-driven platform, and once in a while an Evernote employee may descend, Deus Ex Machina to expedite a technical issue... especially if you had already submitted a ticket, in which case you could post it here (having waited for a tiny bit longer than support states they'll get back to you).

As a (self-professed) newbie to Evernote, you will find the forum to be a good place for problem-solving and workarounds. You will also discover that a few technical issues are not easily resolved, and may often require waiting for an update of whatever Evernote product you're looking at. What is impressive, is that you are actively looking for solutions. You're going to figure a lot out about Evernote in a very short space of time. 

Just noticed that the end goal is to get selected posts spread over possibly multiple pages. (thx Frank.dg)

I recommend doing selection clips of each post you want (each clip will be a separate note) and then later merge the notes in Evernote on your desktop computer.

- To speed this up you can do the clips via the context menu option by right clicking a content selection (clips will end up in your default notebook).

Frank, what I really want is simple: have the first post in the thread, plus have selection of posts in the thread I found useful - all in one note. 

I came to a conclusion that the best way to do it is to clip the first PAGE(as I can't find a good way to capture only the first post), then use "multi-quote" to capture selected posts in the thread. Sadly i'm experiencing the problems I explained in this thread with capturing the first PAGE.

In general I don't use FireFox (only installed it to test the clipper) - but I guess I would have to keep it for now.

I'll post support ticket. Haven't done it yet - tried the forums first.

Thanks again for all of your input.

Just noticed that the end goal is to get selected posts spread over possibly multiple pages. (thx Frank.dg)

I recommend doing selection clips of each post you want (each clip will be a separate note) and then later merge the notes in Evernote on your desktop computer.

- To speed this up you can do the clips via the context menu option by right clicking a content selection (clips will end up in your default notebook).

@jbignert, I don't think you missed anything from this thread, the quote I referenced was from a separate thread...

Since @magoo (or anyone for that matter) might in certain use cases be reading the comments as they go, I don't reckon it's too much of a hassle to clip multiple posts one by one. A slight adjustment to your suggestion above would be to use the Win+A keyboard shortcut (Windows) after having highlighted a selection, thereby speeding up the process. It works the other way around, clipping the selection directly to the desktop client as opposed to syncing to the Evernote servers first. It's faster, since one doesn't have to wait for the web clipper to finish syncing before one clips another selection. 

Frank, what I really want is simple: have the first post in the thread, plus have selection of posts in the thread I found useful - all in one note. 

I came to a conclusion that the best way to do it is to clip the first PAGE(as I can't find a good way to capture only the first post), then use "multi-quote" to capture selected posts in the thread. Sadly i'm experiencing the problems I explained in this thread with capturing the first PAGE.

In general I don't use FireFox (only installed it to test the clipper) - but I guess I would have to keep it for now.

I'll post support ticket. Haven't done it yet - tried the forums first.

Thanks again for all of your input.

I hear what you're saying. It has been suggested thrice that you could merge the notes from multiple clipped posts from the same thread into one note... although, I understand that may be a bit of a mission. I don't think the following has been suggested... it may be a good intro into the world of Evernote tagging:

You might want to tag all selections/ individual posts clipped with a specific tag (which you can automate in the web clipper as a one-time thing for a specific thread)... and in your Evernote account, filter for that tag to see a collection of the pertinent posts on a specific thread.

• Another reason this may be a good route to take is that when subsequent posts are made (it's rare that you find a thread that has been locked, especially on the Evernote forum), what happens is that you'll need to clip further posts as they dribble in (if you find them useful)... and then try to merge those into an already existing note. Just to repeat myself, a good option might be to keep pertinent posts in separate notes and filter by tag to get the entire collection of related posts from a particular thread.
    • If you filter by tag and you want to see them in chronological order as they appeared in the thread, all you do is sort your notes in that particular tag context by "Date Created" and reverse the sort order (on desktop). The order automatically gets sorted in ascending order on mobile devices. Of course, you will have had to have clipped the individual posts/ selections in chronological order

Also, I'm not sure whether you are aware of this... you can also highlight as much of a page within a thread (any browser) as you want and clip that entire selection to Evernote via the Web clipper or a keyboard shortcut directly to your desktop client. Pretty much the same as clipping an article... only now you have more precise control...

EDIT: To view your individual post selections (clipped into individual notes) as a run-on thing... there are a couple of ways:

• Having already filtered for a specific tag, in your note list you can use the arrow keys to flip from one post to the next, which by the way, may be quicker than scrolling within one long note...
  • You're a premium user, I gather... so in Presentation mode, you are able to move to the next note in the series/ list by swiping up on mobile and on desktop (Windows) by Ctrl+right arrow 

Archived