How to find my default notebook

(i)

• Click on your "Notes" tab in the Left Panel 
  • Ctrl+N keyboard shortcut to create a new note
  • Take a look at the notebook the new note is created in 

(ii)

• Email something to your Evernote email address and see which notebook the email lands in

(iii)

• Clip something to your account from the Evernote Web clipper and see where it lands

(iv)

• Decide which notebook you'd like to be your default notebook and "make it so".
  • Level 5*

Notebook properties could be quicker if not that many notebooks.  With a lot of notebooks, email and list view sorted by created date newest first is quick.  A push to me. 

I searched high and low yesterday and could not find a more direct route (including under the "Tools" menu and the Account Settings page)... thus the handful of workarounds. Personally I like #1 (faster than accessing any menu)... but then again, I've never not known what my default notebook was. 

• Level 5*

No I do not want to change my default notebook. I just want to find my default notebook. Lots of info on how to change the default but I just want to find current default notebook.

You don't state which EN client you are using, but for EN Mac, if you choose "All Notes" (CMD-SHFT-A), there is a button in the top toolbar which is captioned with "New Note in <NB>".  The "<NB>" is your default Notebook.

I'm not sure if EN Win works the same way, but I would expect it to do so.

• Level 5*

EN Windows only displays New Note in the tool bar.  However, if you add a note while in All Notes context it does add the note to the default notebook.

First, the best answer was to right click on each notebook until I found the one checked as default notebook. 

Other answers work but are more indirect.

To me this is typical of Evernote. It is sort of an elitist product.  Awesome powers, but unless you grew with it from the outset, you really have to work at understanding its nuances. I would expect something as important as a default notebook would be highlighted in green or have a huge check beside it's listing.  To have to go to so much trouble to find it is somewhat inane.  Of course I am in the minority.  Which sort of proves my elitist point.  I say this in a helpful vein.  I think Evernote would be even more successful if folks like me did not have to struggle with nuances.

Still I use it and will soon upgrade to premium.  It is a Godsend for my summer job in the Colorado wilderness where I travel many miles each day.  I consolidate notes each evening among multiple devices on my satellite Internet service.

• Level 5*

@smoky,

I've had the same issues as you with just about any software product I have used.  Finding the methods and secrets is a matter of time and learning, don't know that makes the products elitist though, IMO.  Upside to forums like this is you can reach out for aid as you need it.  

I'm sure you will have more "how come it does/doesn't do that" moments the more you use EN.  I know I have.  Come on back to the forum when that happens..

• Level 5*

I don't think the Evernote app is "elitist", but I have to say that there are a number of UI design elements that Evernote could easily make better.

There are a number of different types of Notebooks, but the UI gives you no clues without clicking on, or mousing over, each and every NB.  It seems to me that it would be easy enough to add icons and colors to clearly identify at a glance without any mouse action:

• Normal, sync'd NB
  • Local NB
  • Shared NB
  • Joined NB
  • Default NB

See here for an example.

There are a number of different types of Notebooks, but the UI gives you no clues without clicking on, or mousing over, each and every NB.  It seems to me that it would be easy enough to add icons and colors to clearly identify at a glance without any mouse action:

If not in the Left Panel, at least in the expanded Notebook section. If you're going to have a Notebook spread, make it more robust than in the Left Panel. As it stands, I have very little reason to reference it, if at all.

• Level 5*

I don't like using either the Notebook panel or the Tags panel.  I would much prefer to use the collapsible tree view in the Left Panel, where I can easily click on various NBs and Tags and see my Notes without loosing view of the NB/Tags.  Back in the days of EN Mac Ver 3, the Left Panel was fully functional.

Archived