Feature request: a Feature Request list

• Level 5*

Why? This isn't a democracy or an open source project.

If you have an idea that you think will be useful you can send it in to Evernote via a support request or write it up on here.

Evernote have made it very clear in the past that they are not interested in users "voting" for functionality.

• Level 5*

I've been here a while and seen them say it on this version of the forum and the one before.

I'm not available to be your research assistant - how about you do some searching yourself?

• Level 5*

Also:  Votable lists raise expectations that something 'should' be done about 'feature A' because 300 people voted for it.  Evernote may know they can add such a feature  but it will be a couple of years in the future because they already scheduled in a rewrite of the code within which that function sits.  Or it may be technically impossible given the different platforms and OS's on which Evernote runs.  Meantime less-popular features B, C and D get delivered because they were already being worked on - and all the feature A supporters complain that resources are being 'wasted' and "what happened to our feature?".  Some folks suggest bullet-list improvements,  others want more text styles,  others still want tables.  All of that could be in an Editor rewrite,  which delivers lots of other upgrades that haven't even been asked for.  How do you apportion any voting?

That sort of system is labour-intensive to manage - you'd probably need a couple of bodies at least for that;  and it generates more emails and complaints - add another person for that...

GIven that Evernote has its own plans anyway - guided no doubt by intensive market research and analysis - getting our further opinions seems like an expensive waste of time.

Evernote's

I mentioned the idea of a list with features well formulated, since I have seen it on other places (f ex Dropbox)

and I think it made it clear what the limitations of the program is, besides making it easier for me so I do not "rediscover the wheel" 

so to speak. 

I can see many feature requests on this Forum. One very popular request is "search and replace"

Would it not be a good idea to summarise all these requests in a vote-list? 
As it is now, there is a lot of writing which is just getting overwhelming

Mr Gazumped: Speak plain English!  A feature wish - list is common with many other apps, so why not EN ?
A feature list saves time and space because otherwise the users tend to repeat the same feature wish but with different wordings.  A feature list prevents "reinventing the wheel" so to speak.

• 2 months later...

42 is alway sarcastic. Such comments should be deleted.
If EN is Forum request driven then it should have feature request list where you can vote and where EN would comment i e interact with the Forum.

f ex "under consideration" or "coming next version" or "not under consideration" etc + a short explanation how the new feature would work

I have seen this with other apps

There are feature requests in EN forum but they could be gathered under one heading.

• Level 5*

In case you haven't noticed,  Evernote's interactions are usually short and to the point - they'd rather develop and fix than debate which feature should be added next to which OS.  You're asking for something which is expensive to do and doesn't benefit the company.  Don't think it's likely to happen...

• Level 5

If EN is Forum request driven then it should have feature request list where you can vote and where EN would comment i e interact with the Forum.

f ex "under consideration" or "coming next version" or "not under consideration" etc + a short explanation how the new feature would work

I have seen this with other apps

That suggestion conflicts with Evernote's long-term policy of not publicizing their roadmap of projects under development.

This thread is odd. I really don't see the harm in at least having a single place to compile feature requests. The forums would be a little more organized, and as has been said, this would not obligate Evernote to comment. "Intensive market research" that doesn't include/organize free information from serious users is a wasted opportunity. Even if they don't end up using the information, it's weird to say that it wouldn't be of value to them.

Also, just as an aside, Gazumped- every comment of yours on the forums that I've seen seems like a conscious effort to deflate whatever wish someone has for the software. I don't see how it contributes to a good discussion. For example you cite some things that you imagine are true (in this case the market research, that a webpage would be prohibitively expensive, that it would provide them with no value, that they can't accommodate feature requests because their development timeline stretches for years). Then you say those things as if they are definitive. I do think you're trying to be helpful but I've noticed that a lot of discussions end with your brushing ideas aside. Just my two cents, I could definitely be wrong about this.

• Level 5*

This thread is odd. I really don't see the harm in at least having a single place to compile feature requests. The forums would be a little more organized, and as has been said, this would not obligate Evernote to comment. "Intensive market research" that doesn't include/organize free information from serious users is a wasted opportunity. Even if they don't end up using the information, it's weird to say that it wouldn't be of value to them.

Also, just as an aside, Gazumped- every comment of yours on the forums that I've seen seems like a conscious effort to deflate whatever wish someone has for the software. I don't see how it contributes to a good discussion. For example you cite some things that you imagine are true (in this case the market research, that a webpage would be prohibitively expensive, that it would provide them with no value, that they can't accommodate feature requests because their development timeline stretches for years). Then you say those things as if they are definitive. I do think you're trying to be helpful but I've noticed that a lot of discussions end with your brushing ideas aside. Just my two cents, I could definitely be wrong about this.

There's certainly no 'harm' in having a central place to compile feature requests - but who's going to do it?  And who pays for their time?  Evernote is a worldwide commercial operation with millions of customers.  My comment about research actually was "guided no doubt by intensive market research and analysis" which was a number of things,  including ironic,  cynical and sarcastic all at the same time.  It was based on the pronouncements that I've read from time to time in marketing literature and conference speeches. They'd be stunningly dumb not to get customer feedback on new features,  though it does seem like they go ahead with things like Work Chat despite user feedback rather than because of it...  but that's a whole other argument.

Comments like "they'd be stunningly dumb" are made from the point of view that I'm a user here,  just like you.  I know as much about Evernote's corporate plans as anyone - which is slightly north of nothing.  I say them like they're true,  because they are,  my opinion,  likely to be so.  That doesn't stop you from holding different views and commenting (or arguing) accordingly.  That's what contributes to good discussion... 

Sorry if my comments come across as deflationary - they're usually made in context of trying to get through 30 or so posts a day and make comments where I can so people get feedback rather than tumbleweed,  and some sort of basic suggestions for workarounds or fixes if they have issues.  I also have a day job,  so comments have to be pithy and short.  If I'm rude or offensive,  there's a forum code of conduct and you can use the Report button to call an Admin to tale a look.  If I'm factually wrong,  you can post a correction,  if you can get in before anyone else does it for you.  If I take Evernote's name in vain they can jump in and correct me.

If none of the above happened,  then sorry,  but it looks like my long experience with Evernote's product and (much) longer experience in management and development helped me guess right - again...

42 is alway sarcastic. Such comments should be deleted.

Not really. If I'm not mistaken, I gave you an answer you were looking for recently on another thread. You're welcome.

On a more practical note: Many people here have contributed significantly to this data base we know as the forum. In the same spirit, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from compiling a request list yourself for the benefit of others. When I say, "Looks like you're the man for the job.", that comes from the plain observation that you seem to be prolific in your knowledge (and reading) of feature requests here in the forum, as demonstrated in other threads. (Not so here, since you are in the habit of changing the face of your entire OP when it suits you, as the thread develops.) 

Mata Hari (aka minkowski) is always contentious with people who reply to his posts. He has often posted how much he hates Evernote and even prefers Word over Evernote (???). So it would seem his participation on this board is to simply be a troll.

As Gaz stated, this topic has been discussed before and Evernote has made it abundantly clear, they are not interested in having feature polling. (Please use the search function, if you care to read the existing threads). That's not to say they wouldn't change their mind. But there is nothing to support that theory, especially since Evernote has always been very close to the vest about everything. Since they don't publish their roadmap or ETAs, it's doubtful they would be interested in feature polling any time soon.

One more thing...

Also, just as an aside, Gazumped- every comment of yours on the forums that I've seen seems like a conscious effort to deflate whatever wish someone has for the software.

Gaz is a long time user of Evernote and this board. He has a realistic feel for what Evernote may or may not do. It is much better to let someone know if a feature is likely to be added or not. That way, the user can make an informed decision on whether they want to continue to use Evernote or not or adopt a workaround that is viable for them.

• Level 5

I really don't see the harm in at least having a single place to compile feature requests. The forums would be a little more organized, and as has been said, this would not obligate Evernote to comment. 

This is a user forum. Therefore, you could volunteer and spend hours researching and summarizing the thousands of variations of requests into a cloud-based database. Then post a link in this forum to the database. It will get a bit ugly when you try to differentiate each request down to a specific issue. Many of them are not black and white. 

As several long term users have pointed out, this type of request database is just a wish-list. Without solid and definitive feedback from Evernote, it might be an interesting summary, but it will end up as an exercise in frustration. 

Is BurgersNFries trying to say that EN policy is the best for its users ?

By the way  - I do not any more "hate" EN. As you see I am using EN
But that is because EN has improved since then.  For example there is now RichText and a convenient searching.

In fact, I do not use Word any more. I think it is clumsy
So I am not static but keep on trying new apps and advancing in my use of computers

But I am sure one day I will get fed up with EN too

Hey Gaz I really appreciate your thoughtful reply. I think sometimes what happens is when we get super deep into a world we assume a base level of knowledge of others where it might not exist. For example your saying that your knowledge of Evernote operations is "just north of zero" was refreshing, but also somewhat of a surprise. Your authoritative tone made me assume you had some institutional connection to the company. That said, I really appreciate your tumbleweed deterrent behaviors! :) thanks for that. Here I'll just offer an alternate example phrasing as replies to some of these posts that would feel more welcoming:

"I can see how that would be useful" or "That's an interesting idea."

"Variations on that have actually been proposed in our forums numerous times. If you search for 'whatever' you can see the previous discussions of it." 

"Even with all of those discussions in the past we haven't seen any movement on that feature request. As an outsider, I think the impediments are-That said I think maybe a reasonable workaround for the time being is- Though these forums are not run by Evernote, they do keep an eye on them, so your request will most likely be seen" 

You know, something like that. Just my opinion

https://discussion.e...suggestion-box/ 

Here EN clearly states its policy reguarding feature request

This Forum has overreacted in an aggressiva way on my inquiry, I do not understand why.

Thanks for the link @Mata Hari,

I think the emphasis/ modus operandi in that post is, "Start a new topic with questions or suggestions" - which is in line with what other users have been trying to tell you. 

If I was part of any perceived aggression, my apologies. You almost always come off as confrontational and argumentative... perhaps if you toned down your approach a tad, you'd get some sugar from the gang. Whenever you're ready to turn over a new leaf, I'm sure you'll be received a whole lot more warmly. Giving someone a kick in the teeth and then expecting them to ooze with understanding and infinite patience is a wee bit unreasonable and counterintuitive. Also, a little appreciation goes a loooong way.

Just keep looking for solutions and answers on the forums... go about it in a civil way, and without a doubt, you'll find that others will warm to you. I mean that sincerely. Now go and use your Evernote for something cool!

Archived