How to make tags show up in snippets or list of notes

Hi, does anyone know how to make tags show up in the snippets (note previews) that show up on the right side of the screen? I'm able to see them on my ipad, but when I use evernote web in my browser, the tags do not show up. This means I have to click on each individual note to see the associated tag. Any ideas?

The new Evernote web client is not quite there yet. They have, however, indicated that they will continue to develop its feature set. 

I would recommend using the downloadable desktop client for heavy lifting or for other specific use cases if at all possible. 

The new web client was specifically designed to achieve a minimalist environment for a distraction-free writing experience... so with that in mind (don't shoot the messenger), it is missing a lot of the bells and whistles that you see in other clients.  

If seeing tags in your note list on the new Web client is a must... one workaround would be to include some sort of tag-like convention in the note title itself as opposed to (or in tandem with) employing regular tags. Hare are the pros and cons:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/24614-spotlight-thanks-grumpy-monkey/

You can see most, if not all, of the Note tags if you use the Top List view.  It's just called "List" under the "View Options" in the EN Web client.

I don't see any such options in the new Web Beta (is it out of beta yet?). You're most likely talking about the "old" web client... I can't remember its interface. 

Yep, I'm talking about the current production release of EN Web -- not that Beta/Alpha thing.

I may be wrong, but I imagine Serena was using the Beta. The good thing is that she's not against downloading the desktop client  :) . That's going to broaden things a bit for her, I'd say  :lol:

• Level 5*

Yep, I'm talking about the current production release of EN Web -- not that Beta/Alpha thing.

I may be wrong, but I imagine Serena was using the Beta. 

Could be.  But there is really no information in her posts to indicate which version she is using.  Not that any of this really matters at this point.   ;)   My point was that she can see most Tags on either the EN Web (not Beta) version or the desktop version by using the "List" view.

• Level 5*

Tags appear at the top of the note in snippets view in both classic and beta, as far as I can tell.  Checking it on the beta reminded me why I don't like it.....  Glad I do 99% of my work on the PC.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the responses. I can see now that if I switch to "list" view, I can see the tags associated with each note in the list. Wish this was available in "snippet" view (see screenshot), but oh well. I can't tell if I'm using beta version or not...how can I tell? I just created the account a week or two ago. 

post-252904-0-71219800-1427302706_thumb.

You're not using the Beta. Just the regular, current release, which is a bit more versatile than the Beta. The Beta is a complete overhaul in design and with significantly less features. Either way, you'll find the desktop client to be way more robust than any of the other clients, whether web or mobile. 

The Beta just has one view - what seems to be a snippet view. Neither do tags show up in the note list summary. 

Under your Account Settings > Account Summary > Beta, you can toggle between the Beta and what they call the "old version". Might be worth a quick look, especially if you download the desktop version... you'll then have 2 very different clients to play around with. Here's a quick look at the beta:

web%20beta%202.PNG?dl=1

Web%20Beta.PNG?dl=1

• Level 5*

You are using classic web.  

I now get it, you want to see the tags for the notes other than the one selected.  I don't think you can do that.  I even tried to widen the snippet list view to see if it would help, but couldn't do that.  The tags are visible in the Windows desktop snippet view, FYI. 

Yes, Csihlling, that's what I'm trying to do.  I'm trying to set up my receipt filing system and it's all based on using hashtags for different vendors. I want to avoid having to type the vendor into the note title AND the hashtag. Sounds like using Windows desktop (and my ipad) is the best option for this. I remember using that once a long time ago and having some syncing issues, but hopefully that bug has been worked out. Thanks for the screenshot, Frank - beta certainly looks different! I'll have to check it out.

• Level 5*

Don't know how many vendors you might be talking about,  but the tag system has a nifty text completion feature built-in - if you start to add a tag beginning "ve_" you should immediately be looking at a drop-down list of all your vendor tags.  Just use a "ve_" prefix - "ve_applesauce" to "ve_zebra" will pop up.  Or drop down.  If there's more than can comfortably show in the menu,  you can make more sub-classes.  And if you have a vendor tag you really don't need the name in the title.  Search for <tag:"ve_*"> to see all receipts from all vendors,  or throw in some date and name constraints to narrow the list down.

• Level 5*

Yes, Csihlling, that's what I'm trying to do.  I'm trying to set up my receipt filing system and it's all based on using hashtags for different vendors. I want to avoid having to type the vendor into the note title AND the hashtag. Sounds like using Windows desktop (and my ipad) is the best option for this. I remember using that once a long time ago and having some syncing issues, but hopefully that bug has been worked out. Thanks for the screenshot, Frank - beta certainly looks different! I'll have to check it out.

Sync issues have dropped off in recent months if the number of posts on the forum is an indicator, though they do still exist.  I've had a few issues with tags syncing, but very few.  Also, I think the desktop would be a good option, more function when it comes to doing what I think you are attempting.

You can use either tags or keywords placed in your note titles as your basis for searching.  Also, remember EN will search the body of the note including PDFs so if the vendor name is in the note you can find notes with a text search.  I have a preference for tags, I would add a tag for each vendor.  If I had a lot of vendors I would probably start each tag with V. so when I got to the tag drop down V. would show all of the vendors.  But that's me and you need to do what feels best for you.  Good luck!

Great ideas, thanks y'all. Right now I'm just using evernote for receipt tracking, but I anticipate using it for other things in the future, so adding V to the vendor tags so they don't get mixed up with non-vendor tags is good thinkin. 

• 2 years later...

Am late to this particular party but I too would like to see the tags against each of the notes in snippet view, regardless of whether I have the note selected.  This happens on my tablet and phone versions (both Android) but not in the Windows client. The Android version has a three-vertical-dots button at the top right, at which I can choose View Options, which has within it Show Tags.  Can't find anything like this on the Windows version. My Windows client is v 6.7.5.5825 Public (CE Build ce-1.28.2184)

Any guidance appreciated, thanks

C

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, cmaryon said:

Am late to this particular party but I too would like to see the tags against each of the notes in snippet view, regardless of whether I have the note selected.  This happens on my tablet and phone versions (both Android) but not in the Windows client. The Android version has a three-vertical-dots button at the top right, at which I can choose View Options, which has within it Show Tags.  Can't find anything like this on the Windows version. My Windows client is v 6.7.5.5825 Public (CE Build ce-1.28.2184)

Any guidance appreciated, thanks

C

Snippet view in Windows shows tags, both for selected and unselected notes:

image.png.b8a94b013af6f936559bdf7b2b7f176c.png

Oh. Em. Gee.  First response "No it doesn't."  Second response "well, let's just check, but I'm sure it doesn't"  and then....omg.  Not as obvious as in the mobile version (self-evidently!  but it is nice to have them on a separate line with a wee tag icon) and ironically on a selected note they're even harder to see, but you're absolutely right of course, they are right there.

Thanks for setting me straight

C

Archived