Notebook Description

Not that I know of... But you may find it less of a hassle simply trying to title your notebook such that it gives you a clue as to what the contents thereof would contain. By extension, if it lives within a stack, the stack title would give you further (or the primary) clues.

If you must have a description, you could create a "Master Note" for that notebook (a regular note which you give more importance/ prominence and which would be the primary reference note within any given notebook) with any summary, links, TOC, etc... And have it titled such that when you sort your notes by Title it bubbles to the top. If sorting by date created, and it is not the first note created in a specific notebook, on desktop you can change the "Date Created" to an earlier date that precedes all others in its notebook.

Thank for the answer. 

I think it would be great to be able to add a small description (twitter style) to a notebook. I work on similar subject and I sometime get all mixed up between notebook. 

The "Master note" is a great idea, just not as fast to implement. 

• Level 5*

Like Frank.dg says, you can create a "Master Note".  To keep it at the top of your list, just set a Reminder (with no date) on this Note.

Since you can manually reorder Reminders, you can set it to always be the first for the Notebook.

Like Frank.dg says, you can create a "Master Note".  To keep it at the top of your list, just set a Reminder (with no date) on this Note.

Since you can manually reorder Reminders, you can set it to always be the first for the Notebook.

Gosh.. This use case for Reminders just dawned on me. Duh... notes pinned to the top of your note list. No messing with Note titles (plus a master note stays pinned to the top in the Reminders list, no matter how you're sorting). I've always been focused on use cases for tasks. Nice one @JMichael.

Off topic... BTW, why don't we have keyboard shortcuts for at least the 3 basic sorting options?

Thank for the answer. 

I think it would be great to be able to add a small description (twitter style) to a notebook. I work on similar subject and I sometime get all mixed up between notebook. 

The "Master note" is a great idea, just not as fast to implement. 

It's as fast as Ctrl + N (While in your notebook context)... plus hitting the reminder icon button. It takes me 1.5 seconds. However you want to title it and however much or little content you include is up to you. Another thing you might want to do for quick reference is give your master note a descriptive tag or two - tags show up in the note list in Snippet and Card View quite nicely.

Also, you could include some sort of image by which you could identify a note (and thus a notebook) rather easily, since that image will show as a thumbnail image in Card and Snippet view. Whatever visual cues you can squeeze out of Evernote might make confusing similar notebooks less of an issue.

• Level 5*

@Frank.dg:  Not an original idea of mine.  Several others thought of this long before I became aware of this technique.

Good point about the sorting.  But in the EN Mac version, the user can use the Mac KB System Preferences to set shortcut keys for any menu item, which would, of course, include the sort option.

• Level 5

Hi, 

I'm wandering if it's possible to add a description to a Notebook. 

Thank you!

D.

Keep in mind that the maximum number of notebooks (and stacks) is 250.

If you keep the number of notebooks down, you might not need descriptions.

Archived