Scansnap and the inability to print a scan properly

sethgodin

This is a bit of a followup on:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/71743-print-note-no-longer-prints-my-pdfs/

My goal is to use Scanscap i500 to scan in order forms (simple 8.5 x 11 sheets, filled in by hand) and send them to Evernote so they can be sorted, read and printed in the bakery's other location.

Scansnap permits two kinds of scan to Evernote. The first is called a Document, and it's a PDF. The second is called a Note, and it's a jpg.

I have no trouble scanning (using a PC laptop). 

Both sorts of images show up, both in the local Evernote reader (just to confirm) as well as the remote Evernotes (on a Mac and on a tablet as well).

Here are the problems:

a. when I scan a PDF, it comes in perfectly, takes one page exactly, and, as you can see from the bug outlined in the link above, CANNOT be printed! Not efficiently, anyway. When I hit print, it merely shows me the header for the PDF, and prints that out, then starts a new job in the queue to print the PDF. That's 50% waste of time and paper every time I print a document.

b. when I scan a JPG, the file size is about half, the resolution is just fine. BUT, on the local machine AND every other machine, the note doesn't show up as an 8.5 x 11 sheet, it shows up blown up across FOUR sheets of paper. And choosing "Paper Handling" and "Fit to print paper size" in the print dialog on the Mac does nothing to make it not take up four sheets of paper.

So, with fingers crossed, I'm wondering if the first bug (a) is fixed, but I'm not optimistic.

And, more hopefully, I wonder if there's a way to have these scanned jpgs print at the size they were scanned, not at 4x.

Thanks, team. I appreciate the help.

Seth

• Level 5*

While we around here (obviously) mainly think Evernote is the best thing since sliced salami,  it occasionally isn't the best tool for the job.  In this case if you're just looking to move paper from one location to another,  why not just use one of the many cloud storage services and save the scans to a central location?  It may be a better workflow to save the completed items back to Evernote - only after any printing has already been done.  You mention 'sorting and saving' - is this into product types,  or sizes,  or delivery locations?  In Dropbox forinstance you could have an account with sub-folders for any required variations.  DB quite handily pops up a notification when the account has been changed,  so your other location would easily see when new orders arrive...

Thanks for getting back to me. 

I'm actually not doing anything with Evernote that Evernote doesn't claim to do well.

The reason to scan them in instead of faxing them is that once scanned, each item can be named (at the origin) and the name includes the date the item is due. Plus, preview. So, in Evernote, it's really easy to sort by name and see them accruing in date due order.

And then, as each date passes, it's easy to drag to another Notebook ("Done") where it's easy to keep as a record. Plus, the Evernote UI on a tablet is superior to most other alternatives.

Can I scan to Dropbox? I guess I can, with a few macros and such. But I'd be much happier if Evernote actually was consistent, if it fixed the bug about printing PDFs, etc. 

Do you expect that these bugs are now features and I should give up?

• Level 5*

Hi again - 

User forums here,  so no ideas what or when features might be released by the company.   

The print bug is definitely a bug,  but see above.

I get that note titles can show dates etc.. but so can file names (yyyymmdd);  so saving a scan to a folder,  and sorting the folder by name will give you the delivery order.

(Granted that won't give you a thumbnail of the content.)

This is one of those situations where you want to do something that (AFAIK) isn't technically possible in Evernote at present.

Either you find an acceptable workaround,  or look elsewhere...

Thanks for this. I don't want to belabor this, but what isn't technically possible? All I want is for a scanned JPG to come in at actual size, not 4x the size. PDFs come in at the right size, JPGs don't. 

If that's technically impossible, then indeed, Evernote has failed me and my annual fee is wasted.

• Level 5*

Thanks for this. I don't want to belabor this, but what isn't technically possible? All I want is for a scanned JPG to come in at actual size, not 4x the size. PDFs come in at the right size, JPGs don't. 

If that's technically impossible, then indeed, Evernote has failed me and my annual fee is wasted.

Might be a bad choice of words from me - what I meant to convey was:  between the two of us (and any others out there just reading..) we don't know how to do this.  My normal workflow motto is "if at first you don't succeed.. - give it up and find a different solution."

PDF printing is a single issue that needs fixing - and no doubt will be sorted in an update coming our way 'soon'.  Everything else is probably feasible with enough work,  but would require lots of playing around to find a solution.  If you can do it faster and more simply by working smarter,  seems to me that's the best option...

Archived