Restore from iTunes backup help

My iPad  is stuck in a loop of sign in to iTunes popup.  A hard restart does not fix this. As far as I know my only option is to do a RESET after backing up my ipad to the mac, which I know how to do.  After reset I will have the mac fetch everything from iTunes , including EN.

1. Will my ipad get the EN app version that I currently have, which is 5.7 or thereabouts?

2. Will my ipad get my EN data or will I need to get that from my EN cloud account?

thanks

fyi EN help chat just told me that the backup in my mac is a mirror of my EN app and that it will simply get put back into the iPad as part of the restore operation.  But, having followed these forums for a while, I am so profoundly paranoid about having to upgrade to the current app version that I'd really like to hear some confirmation from you folks.  Thanks again.

(Q2 above has been answered)

• Level 5*

Your question is really much more of an iTunes issue than Evernote.

iTunes is the one Mac app that I, and many, many others, hate.  It is the worst design imaginable.

But, there is no alternative to iTunes, so we have to waste valuable time tying to understand it, and get it to do our bidding.

In short, my experience is that iTunes will restore whatever is the latest version of an App that it has.

It is possible (according to others) to trick iTunes into restoring a previous version of an App, but it is not easy.

To learn more about this, do some Googles, like on "iTunes restore prior version app"

But let me repeat, this is an iTunes issue, not Evernote.

Do googles, and search/post on the Apple Communities forum for solutions.

• 4 years later...
  • Level 5

Personally I doubt that any 3rd party backup solution is a good idea for iOS-devices. Maybe it will do a selective restore for some stuff, but more important is what it will forget to restore. The file system of iOS is not really known for openness and simplicity.

Due to exchanging i-devices for new ones, I have used the iCloud Backup several times to transfer everything from old to new. It worked perfectly, although on for my iPad Pro with half a TB of memory, it took a while to do so.

And EN will anyhow restore itself on all mobile devices from the server data - so backing this up is not only not necessary, it will anyhow be overwritten by the server data once the server is available. It is more important to sync everything from the mobile device to the EN server before letting go, than backing up anything of that locally.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Personally I doubt that any 3rd party backup solution is a good idea for iOS-devices.

Unless one has all notebooks flagged as off line the IOS device doesn't have all note data.  On Demand Sync on Windows desktop has the same issue.  If you do a backup you do not get the contents of all notes.  If you merge notes you can lose content.

• Level 5

On my iPad Pro I have nearly all notebooks in offline status. It is possible to create or modify notes when offline.

But as soon as I am online and the app is open, EN will sync all changes to and from the server. 

It is possible to construct a situation in which this might not be possible before loosing or deleting a device. But I still regard it lees reasonable to use some piece of „special“ backup software in such a case. It makes much more sense to sync everything with iCloud, when any sync is still possible in such a situation.

I have not tried yet what would happen to any offline notes that were not synced to the EN server before. I assume that iCloud will save the status of EN Including not synced content, as it does with other apps. But I am not sure about this.  If I remember I will give it a try when I exchange devices next time.

But still it makes no sense to use  some 3rd party SW to do a job that the OSes own capabilities will take care of.

• Level 5*

I'd tread softly with iCloud as a backup.  What do you get that's any different than just reinstalling the app and reloading from the server?   I don't think you can selectively install bits from iCloud without some work.  Perhaps a test on a dummy DB?

In my view the prime purpose of an EN backup is to restore an accidentally deleted note (and obviously for any local notebooks which don't play in IOS).  History covers the oops within a note issues.  I use  Backupery and create ENEXs by notebook each morning at 1 am.  Overkill for the number of times I have had a DAA and completely deleted a note.  Still....

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Personally I doubt that any 3rd party backup solution is a good idea for iOS-devices.

In case you were wondering, the posts you're responding to have been removed.

They were spam, promoting IOS data recovery services.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, NikkiBella said:

iTunes and iCloud is the backup of iDevice, when we lost data in iDevice, we can turn to backup files to restore lost.

Be aware that Evernote is a cloud service with data maintained on the servers; little data is stored on the iDevice

• 3 weeks later...