Feature Request: Smart Folders, PDF Tags, Handwriting, Pinning Notes, Due Date, Linking tags to folders

Hello,

I'm new to the Evernote forums but have been a premium user for a number of years and I have thousands of notes in my account.  I find that Evernote is one of the best ways to store my information and has become the most useful application to me.  I have several ideas for features that I would love to have included in Evernote, some have been discussed in one way or another over the years in these forums.  My list of ideas are:

• Smart folders
  • Better tags/stickers when annotating PDFs in an Evernote
  • Better handwritten annotation on PDFs that are in Evernotes
  • Pinning notes to the top of the list
  • Due Dates for Reminder notes
  • Linked tags to folders

Smart Folders

Essentially a Smart Folder is a saved search with a little more power.  The only way that I've been able to share my notes with another user is by sharing a folder, but if the notes I want to share are in separate folders I have a difficult time.  Either I have to share multiple folders or make copies of the notes, neither is an acceptable option to me.  If there were "smart folders" I could create a single sharing item.

Better Tags/Stickers when annotating PDFs in an Evernote

I am pleased that PDFs contained in an Evernote can include arrows and stickers with short notes.  I would absolutely love it if there was another "Tag" sticker.  Basically the user would stamp the portion of the PDF as they currently do, but in the text description they would be able to include a tag from their Evernote list.  This would then include the tag in the parent note linking everything together.

Better handwritten annotations in PDFs contained in an Evernote

Often I need to write on a PDF for notes or for signing a document.  The PDF editing tool contained in an Evernote does not perform this task well, so I often have to export the PDF to another application, write on the PDF, then refile it...  I'm not a fan.  It would be great if the PDF annotation tool had better handwriting capabilities.

Pinning Notes to the top of a list

This topic has come up in the user forums before, and a work around is to set a note as a reminder.  I do not like this idea as I use reminders to track my tasks.  Mixing task tracking with key notes just adds to the confusion.  I would like to have some kind of special tag or note flag that would pin a note to the top of a list.

Due Dates in Reminder Notes

As I mentioned i use reminder notes as a task tracking tool.  I often will set the reminder as the next time I plan on working on the task.  I would like a separate date field to track when the task is actually due.

Additionally it would be nice to link task notes together, basically this would say Task B cannot be worked on until Task A is completed.

Linked tags to folders

I use Evernote for personal and professional tasks, I have many notes, folders, and tags.  I would like it if there was a way to say "This tag is only for notes in this folder or folder stack or for all items in my account.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Some useful suggestions, for sure.

Smart Folders
Essentially a Smart Folder is a saved search with a little more power.  The only way that I've been able to share my notes with another user is by sharing a folder, but if the notes I want to share are in separate folders I have a difficult time.  Either I have to share multiple folders or make copies of the notes, neither is an acceptable option to me.  If there were "smart folders" I could create a single sharing item.

If and until the search language allows multiple notebooks, this won't happen. And even that's a problematic proposition, since the search language doesn't support mixed AND/OR searches: a search with multiple notebooks would of necessity need to be an OR search, since it's impossible for a note to belong to more than one notebook at a time. So a little bigger task than just adding multiple notebook terms.

Pinning Notes to the top of a list

This topic has come up in the user forums before, and a work around is to set a note as a reminder.  I do not like this idea as I use reminders to track my tasks.  Mixing task tracking with key notes just adds to the confusion.  I would like to have some kind of special tag or note flag that would pin a note to the top of a list.

Definitely a workaround, but not infeasible: you don't need to add reminder dates to all notes, so they separate out cleanly if you sort by reminder date. And filters can help (remindertime:, tags, etc). I mix and match dated and undated reminders, and don't find it bothersome.

• Level 5*

Hello,

I'm new to the Evernote forums but have been a premium user for a number of years and I have thousands of notes in my account.  I find that Evernote is one of the best ways to store my information and has become the most useful application to me.  I have several ideas for features that I would love to have included in Evernote, some have been discussed in one way or another over the years in these forums.  My list of ideas are:

• Smart folders
  • Better tags/stickers when annotating PDFs in an Evernote
  • Better handwritten annotation on PDFs that are in Evernotes
  • Pinning notes to the top of the list
  • Due Dates for Reminder notes
  • Linked tags to folders

Smart Folders

. . .

Lot's of good ideas!

I especially like your Smart Folders idea.  There have been many requests to share blocks of Notes other than by Notebook, like by Tag.  

None of us here really know how hard, or how simple it would be to implement, nor do we know the likelihood of it being implemented.  Evernote has continued to surprise us with new features most thought would never happen.

In one way it is great to post all of your ideas in one thread, but it might be better in some ways to post each idea/request in its separate thread.  This would allow Evernote to more easily see the responses from other users for a particular feature.  

Your choice.

Anyway keep those ideas coming!  It's always refreshing to see what someone else would like to see in Evernote.

Archived