Hi Guys,

First post - so my apologies.

I started using evernote well over a year ago and I love it. I write all my random thoughts in the iphone app and on my mac.

I know want to export all my notes into a proper word processing program.

I am agnostic if its Word or Google Docs.

I just want a method to be able to do it.

I have done some google searches - and to my stunned surprise - there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this?

Is this a joke? Are you kidding me?

Please help - or recommend a way for me to do this - some workaround?

I hope so.

Otherwise I think I'll stop using this awesome program.

I mean that - but if you're writing notes - you'd like to be able to then put them all together into something like word.

Thanks

Hi,

First off - thank you for your reply.

I had exported all notes as .enex and just now exported them as html.

I opened one html in TextEdit. I can see my text great - but the subject is now the subject of the document and how am I supposed to merge all of these html's into a document? And now none of them will have the important subject matter?

Wow, hey I'm sure I'm an idiot - but guess what there's lots of us out there.

So, wouldn't you want to make this idiot proof? : )

Am I going to have to jumpo through all kinds of hoops just to export this data into word or docs?

I'm willing to do what it takes to do this - but I'll probably abandon evernote and use something like OneNote instead then... 

Thanks again - I know I'm annoyed - but I genuinely didn't think it would anything other than a save as...

Thanks

You're on Mac... So you should be able to "Annotate entire note as PDF"... Just that you save the PDF without annotating. Also, in Presentation mode you can create a PDF. Done this already. Now once you have a PDF, you can convert to Word if you have the smarts.

Anyways, I've often created class material on the go using my iPhone's dictation in Evernote. Personally, it's never been a mission to copy paste to a Word document and then create a PDF. I'm wondering why all the fussing and threats to abandon what to you is a great piece of software. Beats me. Is creating a Word document suddenly a new use case for you after more than a year of using Evernote??

• Level 5*

What Metrodon said, plus this: MS Word can read HTML files.

I think there is a bug with the HTML export and Word at the moment on the Mac client.

Anyway, as Frank says - not sure why you'd want to export to Word....

Good luck with One Note.

Hey Guys,

Again thanks for the responses.

OK, here's what I'd like to do:

I have 479 Notes with subject lines - that I'd like to retain. I would then like to take all those notes and merge them all into one document.

You know like a writer might do with all the post-it notes that are stuck to his wall - he might eventually want to put those into one document right?

I don't think the logic matters all that much - but I guess I can explain.

See, these notes could be on hundreds of different subjects - but in the end they're all going to go into one large document.

That document is going to be sent to a corporate environment where the people aren't too hip to evernote and the PC's are locked down by IT and they'll want to edit it in word.

So, my questions would be:

How do I get all these notes into one large document - preferably maintaining the subject line information?

Does Evernote provide any merge capabilities?

I don't think I'm the only person that wants to merge notes - no?

I do have a mac and I guess I could open up my Windows 10 beta VM up and launch word through that - it just seems like quite a hassle.

I guess I could export them all as a pdf - preview does allow you to merge multiple pdf's into one.. and then I can easily turn a pdf online into a word doc... still losing all the subject lines...

OK, I'll stop the rant... but for an awesome software that is really cool... it sort of kills the idea for me that you can't easily merge the notes. I may still use it... but it bothers me that I'll have to open these all up one by one in a text editor like TextEdit, and lose the subject line. 

I guess its my mistake... but I'll take any suggestions.

Cheers

OK Cool,

Thank you.

"The remaining note titles will be included in the body of the new note, making it easy to tell where the content originated from. The original notes will be moved to the Trash."

That's great.

One of my worries - is that I'll lose all the originals - so will try this with a couple of test notes first.

Thanks a lot.

• Level 5*

You can also easily move the notes back from trash after the merge,  or copy your selection into another temporary notebook and merge them there,  leaving your existing notes unchanged.  If you're doing lots of merges,  don't forget to sync often during the process so you also have a backup copy on the server,  and empty the trash when you've finished (and really don't need the contents) to save space.

Thanks,

I've done the test and succesfully merged a few notes and restored the originals from the trash.

I also like your tip of using another notebook thanks.

Only problem is the subject line formatting is strange afer its been created in the body of the merged note.

Grey box around all former subject lines, and rather large bold text - but hey I'll live with it.

Thanks

Thanks,

I've done the test and succesfully merged a few notes and restored the originals from the trash.

I also like your tip of using another notebook thanks.

Only problem is the subject line formatting is strange afer its been created in the body of the merged note.

Grey box around all former subject lines, and rather large bold text - but hey I'll live with it.

Thanks

I like @Gaz's temporary notebook solution too.

Yep - as you've discovered, the individual note titles aren't presented too eloquently in the merged note. I'd like to see more of a mimicking of the note titles in presentation mode within the merged note. I must hand it to Evernote - the Italicized "Caecilia" font is quite elegant, which shows on iOS, presentation mode across platforms and PDFs generated in presentation mode.

Only thing is that you'd have to have previously installed said font on desktop to view it as such in MS Word or any other external apps.

But I totally agree that merged note titles leave a lot to be desired. I think there's a thread on that.

By the way, a great online writing app that I use is "Gingko". It's the only "tree-based word processor" in existence... I think. Also, they allow you to export to Word, HTML and a few other technical formats.

My workflow takes me from Gingko to Word to Adobe Indesign by way of ID's Word import feature which can automate paragraph styles, fonts etc. Maybe not what you need... But another thing to consider with apps like Gingko is that you can pop a generated HTML file directly into Evernote... Or you can create an online HTML file which can be clipped to EN using EN's Web clipper.

All to say that there are other decent apps out there that might be a good add to your repertoire or may streamline your workflow. And you may also consolidate to EN in the process if you wish.

• Level 5*

There is a bug in the EN Mac export to HTML that prevents MS Word from opening the HTML file.

But there is a work-around.  I have not used it, but another user posted that it works well.

See Pandoc - Universal Document Converter

You could then open MS Word and append each document into one.

Or even use the MS Word Master Document approach.
Or write a simple macro to open all the converted files into one Word doc.

Archived