Save from anywhere

• Click the share icon in many Mac apps to save what you see to Evernote

Customizable toolbar

• Rearrange or remove options in the toolbar to fit your needs

Performance improvements

Numerous bug fixes

More Detailed Release Notes

• Performance Fixes
    • Made improvements to high CPU issue and general note editing sluggishness but we still have not resolved all of the issues in this area.  We are working on a much bigger fix for the next release that we hope will finally resolve this issue for everyone.
    • Made improvements to high CPU issue and general work chat sluggishness especially around sharing a note.

• Fixed drag and drop issues when dragging an image within a note or dragging an image or attachment over the title, context or white area at the bottom of the note.  Attachments are now always appended to the end of the note.
  • Fixed attachment preview breaking if switching between Automatically Resize, Zoom in, and Zoom out.
  • Fixed issue when pasting URLs with & or ? on Mavericks.
  • Fixed an issue where updating a Tag would change the Update date.
  • Fixed an issue where searching a PDF would not work some times.
  • Fixed issue where some business users wouldn’t show up in the work chat drop down.

At this time, this is only for download customers.  We have submitted this release to the Mac App Store and once Apple reviews and gives us approval we'll release it to customers.  This typically takes about a week.  As always, let us know if you run into any new issues with this release.

66 replies to this idea

Table Cell Vertical Alignment changed!

As of 6.0.7 the vertical cell alignment in tables has changed from top to middle.

Is there any way i can change this back to top?

The same middle vertical cell alignment is used in the iOS Evernote-App.

Evernote Team: Can you please change that to top alignment as well!

Thanks a lot!

Unfortunately this bug got into 6.0.7.  It is already fixed in our internal version of the software that we have not released yet.  If this is really annoying you I plan on releasing a beta shortly where this will be fixed.

Thanks a lot :-)

Good to know it will be fixed in the next release - no need for me to use a beta.

• Level 5*

I did more testing on this issue.  It appears to be related to Card View.  Most people who don't use Card View will never see this issue.  However, if you do switch to Card View and then edit a note and switch notes once, you get stuck in a mode where this issue appears even if you switch views.  Quitting and restarting the app on snippet or side list view will fix this issue and if you never switch to Card View you will never run into this problem.  Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know what I found and give you pointers on how to avoid and fix the issue if you do run into the bug.  Let me know if the above steps don't conform to your own experience.

Sorry Marcus, the behavior I observed had NOTHING to do with CARD view.  I never use Card view, and did not at any point in this process.

Please reread my original post where I described the steps to reproduce (although not labeled as such).

BUG REPORT:  Selecting a Different Note Does NOT Display Note Created/Updated Info

This is a very strange bug.  Previously,  when you select a different Note by clicking in the Note list. the Note contents panel shows the Note Created and Updated dates.  Now, with Ver 6.0.7, if you have previously clicked in the Note contents, clicking on a different Note does NOT show the Note Created/Updated dates, but shows the editing toolbar.

Here's a screen shot:

EN-Mac-607-Note-Selection.png

I can reproduce this issue.  We did a bunch of performance work where we try to stop updating UI elements on the screen if they don't need to get updated.  This might be one of those places where we should have left the update in.  We'll take a look.

I did more testing on this issue.  It appears to be related to Card View.  Most people who don't use Card View will never see this issue.  However, if you do switch to Card View and then edit a note and switch notes once, you get stuck in a mode where this issue appears even if you switch views.  Quitting and restarting the app on snippet or side list view will fix this issue and if you never switch to Card View you will never run into this problem.  Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know what I found and give you pointers on how to avoid and fix the issue if you do run into the bug.  Let me know if the above steps don't conform to your own experience.

As of 6.0.7 the vertical cell alignment in tables has changed from top to middle.

Thanks a lot!

Unfortunately this bug got into 6.0.7.  It is already fixed in our internal version of the software that we have not released yet.  If this is really annoying you I plan on releasing a beta shortly where this will be fixed.

The 2nd tag gets cut in the search box. I thought it was my too-narrow monitor, so I moved the search box to the middle. Still, 2nd tag is cut and the rest of the search phrase is invisible.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3788138/evernote-search-box.bmp

Thanks for the screenshot.  Yuck.  I'll file a ticket now.  

mwlodarski, I just played with this and I'm not able to reproduce the issue.  Can you tell me more about how you got into this state?  Are you able to get out if you close the app and reopen it?  Does anyone else see this?  Possibly it's a language thing?

So we have a customisable toolbar... Fair enough...

What about those that want to keep the New Chat Icon... But dont want it taking half our screen?

Why make it so big? Why not use a different artwork without the name "New Work Chat with icon" plastered across screen?

Evernote really needs a psychotic perfectionist reviewing their work ala Steve Jobs. We should really not have to bring such things up.

In any case.. My search bar is now usable in half screen which is great, especially getting rid of all the unused space.

Sadly however Tag's is still a mess... And cant see more than one tag in half screen or even add tags... Sigh :(

One single tag... Cant add to it... Cant see anymore that 1.... And that 1 is cut in half.

There's a bunch of stuff we want to do with Customizable Toolbars but I didn't want to holdup the feature just for those items. I figure a bunch of people would find what have useful.

Our formatting toolbar doesn't work real well with a narrow window. We definitely have this issue logged and even have a design approved and ready to go so it's on my radar. Can't say when we'll get to fixing it but I'm aware of the issue and it's on my short list.

Thank you for this reply and to replying to so many comments and keeping us in loop :)

Your customer engagement is truly impressive.

Thank you.

Thanks a lot!

This was a bug in 6.05, 6.06 and now 6.07...

Version 6.05, 6.06 and 6.07 on iMac 27 with 10.10.2.

Using the Search function causes the column widths for the current notebook to be reset.

With the "side list" view and three columns displayed (Sync status, Title, Updated), enter a Search argument.  Canceling the Search will cause the column widths to be reset.

Net result, if you search, you have to reset your column widths every time, or accept the EN defaults which obviously defeats the purpose of having customizable column widths.

I only see this if I have the Relevance column turned on.  If you right click on the header and turn off Relevance this won't happen any more.  Let me know if this doesn't help your issue.

BUG REPORT:  Selecting a Different Note Does NOT Display Note Created/Updated Info

This is a very strange bug.  Previously,  when you select a different Note by clicking in the Note list. the Note contents panel shows the Note Created and Updated dates.  Now, with Ver 6.0.7, if you have previously clicked in the Note contents, clicking on a different Note does NOT show the Note Created/Updated dates, but shows the editing toolbar.

Here's a screen shot:

I can reproduce this issue.  We did a bunch of performance work where we try to stop updating UI elements on the screen if they don't need to get updated.  This might be one of those places where we should have left the update in.  We'll take a look.

There is no way I know of to change/set vertical alignment.

Evernote Team:  Please change the default cell vertical alignment back to "Top", like it was in Ver 6.0.6.

99% of the time I want the alignment to be "Top".

It would also be very nice if you would give the user the ability to change it.

In fact it would be very nice if you would allow us to set the default Table Properties by selecting a Table, then right-click, and choose "Set as default".  This is how it works in Adobe Acrobat for annotations, and it is a great time-saver.

I can also reproduce this issue. 

Today on Yosemite, after the most-recent Evernote update, I can't even open Evernote. In the dock is a grey sheet of paper with a pencil, pen, ruler triangle. The mouse-over in the dock says Evernote. Clicking, it bounces once. Same results opening from Applications. 

Don't ask me what version Evernote I have because I can not open Evernote. 

Any time you see a blank generic app icon with any Mac app it means the file was corrupted.  Just delete and reinstall.  There is definitely a bug in the 3rd party tool we use to update software that causes some files to download with issue.  If you ever try to launch Evernote after an upgrade and it fails to launch a few times then probably the app has become corrupted.  As JMichaels says, just delete and re-download.  This will typically fix the issue.  We also hope to have improvements in the next release.

What about those that want to keep the New Chat Icon... But dont want it taking half our screen?

Why make it so big? Why not use a different artwork without the name "New Work Chat with icon" plastered across screen?

Evernote really needs a psychotic perfectionist reviewing their work ala Steve Jobs. We should really not have to bring such things up.

In any case.. My search bar is now usable in half screen which is great, especially getting rid of all the unused space.

Sadly however Tag's is still a mess... And cant see more than one tag in half screen or even add tags... Sigh :(

One single tag... Cant add to it... Cant see anymore that 1.... And that 1 is cut in half.

There's a bunch of stuff we want to do with Customizable Toolbars but I didn't want to holdup the feature just for those items.  I figure a bunch of people would find what have useful.

Our formatting toolbar doesn't work real well with a narrow window.  We definitely have this issue logged and even have a design approved and ready to go so it's on my radar.  Can't say when we'll get to fixing it but I'm aware of the issue and it's on my short list.

The 2nd tag gets cut in the search box. I thought it was my too-narrow monitor, so I moved the search box to the middle. Still, 2nd tag is cut and the rest of the search phrase is invisible.

mwlodarski, I just played with this and I'm not able to reproduce the issue.  Can you tell me more about how you got into this state?  Are you able to get out if you close the app and reopen it?  Does anyone else see this?  Possibly it's a language thing?

Marcus, I changed to English - works fine. Please fix it for Polish language. There is no reason why it would be broken. Thank in advance.

That's weird that it doesn't work in Polish.  Does anyone else run a different language from English and can reproduce this issue?  I just want to make sure I capture all the languages that this breaks in.  Thanks.

On 3/12/2015 at 2:34 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Evernote Team:  Please change the default cell vertical alignment back to "Top", like it was in Ver 6.0.6.

In fact it would be very nice if you would allow us to set the default Table Properties by selecting a Table, then right-click, and choose "Set as default".  This is how it works in Adobe Acrobat for annotations, and it is a great time-saver.

I agree with the comment on setting default table properties.  I have to change the properties for every single table I create and it's always to make the exact same changes.

• Level 5*

Conflicting Changes -- What is the Expected Behavior?

@Marcus:  As of Ver 6.0.7,  what is the expected behavior when Evernote detects a conflict in Note changes?

I have observed two different behaviors over time:

1. A NEW Notebook is created named "Conflicting Change ...", and the other version is a Note within it.
    The original Note is left unchanged.

2. The contents of the conflicting note is put at the bottom of the original note.

Please see this thread posted today reporting the same issue:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/82697-conflicting-modifications/?p=351523

I agree with the OP in the above note,

• #1 is far superior,
  • #2 is not helpful and there is a very good chance the user will never (or much later) become aware of the conflict.

Yes, I would agree that this is a bug but quite honestly I wouldn't rank it as the next thing we absolutely need to fix.  We're still working through some pretty big issues.

And you always will be until EN hires a VP of Engineering who knows something about testing.

Seconded. There's really no excuse for the Evernote 6.0.x versions to be so broken. If there we so many "big issues" then Evernote should have not released the new versions to the masses. And I don't think the excuse of "not finding" or "not knowing" about the issues really holds water. We are on version 6 of Evernote, if you don't have a suite of capable unit tests in place, then something is wrong...

Version 6.0.7 (451372 Direct)

6.0.6 was working fine.

Solved my Spotlight problem by reverting back to 6.0.5.

How many of you are seeing Spotlight search issues in 6.0.7 but it worked for you in 6.0.6?  Is it a large number of people?  It sounds spotlight search is working for lykoz.  I believe there is still an issue with the App store version if you have ever used the download version and the app store version where spotlight search gets confused as to where it should look for our Spotlight search importer. 

I am having issues with Spotlight. tried to trash the database/cache and restart but it did not work. will trash the app and the rest and try again

Is it just me, or Spotlight doesn't find Evernote notes anymore?

I have the same problem with Spotlight and 6.07 now.

Rebuilding the notes from the cloud does not seem to resolve the problem.

I'm having this same issue. Once I upgraded (direct version) to 6.0.7 Spotlight would find the .enspot file but couldn't preview the contents. After doing the remove/add folder to the privacy tab in spotlight prefs I can only find Evernote notes if I type "enspot" into the search field. I can preview the contents but the title and contents do not seem to be indexed.

I reverted back to 6.0.6 and the indexing is working properly now. Maybe if I work the courage up and have the time I'll try the 6.0.7 upgrade again and see if it just wasn't some sort of glitch in my last upgrade.

Yes, I would agree that this is a bug but quite honestly I wouldn't rank it as the next thing we absolutely need to fix.  We're still working through some pretty big issues.

And you always will be until EN hires a VP of Engineering who knows something about testing.

6.0.6 was working fine.

How many of you are seeing Spotlight search issues in 6.0.7 but it worked for you in 6.0.6?  Is it a large number of people?  It sounds spotlight search is working for lykoz.  I believe there is still an issue with the App store version if you have ever used the download version and the app store version where spotlight search gets confused as to where it should look for our Spotlight search importer. 

Using the Search function causes the column widths for the current notebook to be reset.

With the "side list" view and three columns displayed (Sync status, Title, Updated), enter a Search argument.  Canceling the Search will cause the column widths to be reset.

Net result, if you search, you have to reset your column widths every time, or accept the EN defaults which obviously defeats the purpose of having customizable column widths.

I only see this if I have the Relevance column turned on.  If you right click on the header and turn off Relevance this won't happen any more.  Let me know if this doesn't help your issue.

Yes, that's a work around.  Do you agree it's a bug?

6.0.6 was working fine.

I'm having this same issue. Once I upgraded (direct version) to 6.0.7 Spotlight would find the .enspot file but couldn't preview the contents. After doing the remove/add folder to the privacy tab in spotlight prefs I can only find Evernote notes if I type "enspot" into the search field. I can preview the contents but the title and contents do not seem to be indexed.

Marcus, I changed to English - works fine. Please fix it for Polish language. There is no reason why it would be broken. Thank in advance.

Yes, that's a work around.  Do you agree it's a bug?

Thanks for the screenshot. Yuck. I'll file a ticket now.

mwlodarski, I just played with this and I'm not able to reproduce the issue. Can you tell me more about how you got into this state? Are you able to get out if you close the app and reopen it? Does anyone else see this? Possibly it's a language thing?

I will try to change system language to English tomorrow.

Anyway, Polish is left to right language so there should be no problem.

I do not use special characters in my tags either.

• Level 5*

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  Un-Sync'd Indicator NOT Cleared Immediately After Sync is Complete

EN Mac Ver 6.0.7 (NEW Bug)

Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks

The Un-Sync'd indicator in the Snippet view is NOT cleared after I do a manual sync, or even after I do several sync's.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Select multiple Notes, assign Tags, move to Notebook
  2. Observe the Un-Sync'd indicator appears on all of these Notes
  3. Click the manual Sync button.
  4. Sync icon spins, then stops.
  5. Observe the Un-Sync'd indicator has NOT been cleared on these Notes
  6. Repeat #3, same results
  7. Click on one of the Notes in the Snippet list view
  8. The Un-Sync'd indicator now clears
  9. Click on the other Notes, and the Un-Sync indicator now clears

Screenshot with Un-Sync'd Indicator:

EN-Mac-607-Sync-Indicator.png

These type of bugs are really annoying, mainly because they should have been caught by internal testing.   :angry:

I don't know what kind of internal testing you guys do, but I have to say that from the number of easy-to-catch bugs I find just in the normal course of my workflow (which isn't that unusual) it really appears that very little testing is done.

• Level 5*

Is there a keyboard shortcut for "scroll the note list to currently selected note"? It used to be command-l (that's a lowercase L) I believe. 

Try CMD+SHIFT+|   (that's a vertical bar, SHIFT \)

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  Dragging an Attachment to a Different Location in the Note Causes it to be Duplicated, not Moved

EN Mac Ver 6.0.7 (NEW Bug)

Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks

Confirming the report by @pvgh above

Steps to Reproduce (obvious):

1. Attach a PDF to a Note
  2. Click and drag the attachment to a different location within the Note
  3. Release mouse button
  4. Observe that the attachment has been copied to the location, NOT moved.
  5. I tried holding down the OPT key (like in the Finder), but it didn't change anything.

Impact to Workflow:  Significant

• I have a lot of Notes with PDFs
  • I create new Notes via email that include attachments several times a day
  • When the Note is created, the attachment is always at the bottom of the Note, and I almost always want it at the top
  • So now I will have to remember to go back to the original location and delete the attachment there.

You guys know that you made changes to the handling of attachments, so you should have known that you need to perform comprehensive testing with attachments to make sure you didn't break something, which you did.  Please do more thorough testing in the future.

This is a bug that is easily caught, and most likely occurs for all users.  The fact that you caused it and did not catch it raises quality/reliability doubts about your product.

I have a lot of notes with many PDFs (using View as Attachment).  I can no longer rearrange the PDFs via drag-and-drop; any attempt to move a file creates a copy of the attachment instead.

First Impressions of EN Mac 6.0.7 running on Yosemite:

1. Selected Note in the Note LIst is now highlighted by a white background (other Notes have a grey background)   :) 
    1. This works ONLY in the TOP List view, and the SIDE list view
    2. The Snippet View, unfortunately, does NOT work like this.  The background of the selected Note in Snippet view is still a grey background.   :( 

EVERNOTE:  Please fix this

3. This makes it MUCH easier to SEE the currently active note.   :)
    4. However, if you leave your mouse hovering over the selected note, it shows the Note Title in a grey background, defeating the purpose of the nice WHITE background.   :( 

EVERNOTE:  Please fix this:  If I hover over the selected Note, show the full Title with a WHITE background.

2. Performance seems very good.   :D 

(Running an old MacBook Air 13-in (MId 2011), 1.7 GHz i5, 4GB RAM)

3. Tables seems to work OK for me   :) 
    1. The Column Resize cursor now appears directly over the Column border line.  Previously it appears to the left of the border line.
    2. Changing the column size flowed very naturally and quickly without any issues.
    3. I was able to create a table, add text, and edit the text without any issues.
  4. Customizable Toolbar   :) 
    1. OK, first, thank you VERY MUCH
    2. Unfortunately there's not much to customize, but it's the right first step.  Maybe more later???
      1. I was going to list the choices, but then thought I'd just show you:
      2. EN-Mac-607-Toolbar-Options.png

Well that's about it for "First Impressions".  No issues so far, but then I haven't really tested it for prior bugs, and this is based ONLY on about one hour of usage.

Please post your experience with this new version, good and bad.

EDIT:

I have now updated two Macs from Ver 6.0.6 to 6.0.7 without any issues, one on Mavericks, one on Yosemite.  So I truly hope that no NEW bugs have been introduced with this update.

…I think it's more of a concession for the folks who'd like to remove the Work Chat option from the toolbar, IMO.

• Level 5*

Here's a screen shot:

• Level 5*

First Impressions of EN Mac 6.0.7 running on Yosemite:

1. Selected Note in the Note LIst is now highlighted by a white background (other Notes have a grey background)   :) 
    1. This works ONLY in the TOP List view, and the SIDE list view
    2. The Snippet View, unfortunately, does NOT work like this.  The background of the selected Note in Snippet view is still a grey background.   :( 
      EVERNOTE:  Please fix this
    3. This makes it MUCH easier to SEE the currently active note.   :)
    4. However, if you leave your mouse hovering over the selected note, it shows the Note Title in a grey background, defeating the purpose of the nice WHITE background.   :( 
      EVERNOTE:  Please fix this:  If I hover over the selected Note, show the full Title with a WHITE background.
  2. Performance seems very good.   :D 
    (Running an old MacBook Air 13-in (MId 2011), 1.7 GHz i5, 4GB RAM)
  3. Tables seems to work OK for me   :) 
    1. The Column Resize cursor now appears directly over the Column border line.  Previously it appears to the left of the border line.
    2. Changing the column size flowed very naturally and quickly without any issues.
    3. I was able to create a table, add text, and edit the text without any issues.
  4. Customizable Toolbar   :) 
    1. OK, first, thank you VERY MUCH
    2. Unfortunately there's not much to customize, but it's the right first step.  Maybe more later???
      1. I was going to list the choices, but then thought I'd just show you:
      2. EN-Mac-607-Toolbar-Options.png

Well that's about it for "First Impressions".  No issues so far, but then I haven't really tested it for prior bugs, and this is based ONLY on about one hour of usage.

Please post your experience with this new version, good and bad.

EDIT:

I have now updated two Macs from Ver 6.0.6 to 6.0.7 without any issues, one on Mavericks, one on Yosemite.  So I truly hope that no NEW bugs have been introduced with this update.

• Level 5*

Sorry to sound bitter, but looking at the amount of new bugs I must say Evernote is getting worse with each update lately...

No need to apologize, it's just life with Evernote.  Once in awhile they have a relatively stable and bug free release, the other 90% of the releases add 2 features, fix 3 old bugs (must be at least 4-5 releases old) and then break 2 previously working featuers.

• Level 5*

Sorry to sound bitter, but looking at the amount of new bugs I must say Evernote is getting worse with each update lately...

No need to apologize, it's just life with Evernote.  Once in awhile they have a relatively stable and bug free release, the other 90% of the releases add 2 features, fix 3 old bugs (must be at least 4-5 releases old) and then break 2 previously working featuers.

I am very sorry to say that I have to agree -- that is not sarcasm -- it's the real world with Evernote.

I have version 6.0.6, for some reason since the latest update, I can no longer use Evernote with my Mac.

The sync button keeps rolling around forever.  

As soon as I click on a note or a notebook, a completely blank page appears.

The same thing happens if I choose to manually sync instead of automatically sync.  

I cannot even quit Evernote, and always get a "not responding" in Finder when doing a "force quit".

Does anyone have this similar experience? What should be done?

Today on Yosemite, after the most-recent Evernote update, I can't even open Evernote. In the dock is a grey sheet of paper with a pencil, pen, ruler triangle. The mouse-over in the dock says Evernote. Clicking, it bounces once. Same results opening from Applications. 

• Level 5*

Sorry to hear about your trouble.  You might try this:

1. Drag Evernote.app to the trash
  2. Restart your Mac
  3. Download Evernote Mac from the Evernote.com web site
  4. Install
  5. If still having trouble after the install, try another Mac restart.
  • Level 5

This is a bug that is easily caught, and most likely occurs for all users.  The fact that you caused it and did not catch it raises quality/reliability doubts about your product.

Yes and if they read the posts in the forum they must have known about this problem because I reported this bug for the beta version: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/81866-evernote-for-mac-607-beta-1-released/?p=348307.

post-201443-0-31200100-1426432851_thumb.

Also want to see when I save a location in Evernote when writting a note... To be able to click that location on the note... And integrate with my iphone or android (Apple and Google Maps) and open that location directly in GPS. And be able to navigate to that location...

I mean who cares where you saved a note if you cant get there again?

6.0.6 was working fine.

Lol wierd... I could not use spotlight before 6.0.6... Solved my spotlight problem... (although may have actually been a mac update that fixed it... Not quite sure, may have actually been fixed slightly before 6.0.6. however 6.0.5. did not do anything for me in fixing it).

6.0.7. spotlight works just fine for me.

Archived